Companion needed during lockdown - what are your thoughts?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Hi all

If I need a companion for my filly who may be on her own quite unexpectedly, what do you think are the options?

I don’t want to buy a future riding horse right now as I would want to view, vet etc.

I’ve tried the foster option for Blue Cross but they aren’t taking new foster homes.

It would be great if I could offer up to 6 months respite care for anyone who is struggling with being put onto full livery or has lost their job through COVID.

I don’t want liveries.

Am I missing an option? Anyone have any ideas?

Nicnac

Visit site
I am in a similar position as one of mine will be turned away for a few months. I have found a companion pony via a friend. I may keep the pony as have room and will undoubtedly become quite attached to her!

I was meant to take mine away tomorrow and pick up the pony but obviously not doing it now as travelling horses only allowed for welfare/vet emergency and don't fall into either category.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I am in a similar position as one of mine will be turned away for a few months. I have found a companion pony via a friend. I may keep the pony as have room and will undoubtedly become quite attached to her!

I was meant to take mine away tomorrow and pick up the pony but obviously not doing it now as travelling horses only allowed for welfare/vet emergency and don't fall into either category.

Its allowed if you are moving a horse somewhere like a new yard etc.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's a shame we're not closer, I could do with finding one of mine a temporary home as the numbers don't work very well this summer. RDA or RS would be a good idea to try though.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What I am going to say, I would have said whether we are/were on lockdown, or not, and that is to choose carefully and don't get something just because you may be desperate for a "companion".

My old boy (several horses ago now and a good many years) lost his companion/pair-bond suddenly, and was absolutely desolate. The opportunity came up almost immediately for two youngsters to share his field, so I put them in with him thinking that I'd done the best thing I could!

It wasn't a good mix! The two youngsters were very "into" each other, and hooned around like idiots, when all my poor old boy wanted to do was chill-out under the tree, which is what he'd have done with his previous pair-bond.

The whole thing just seemed to make him more morose than he already was; it was a huge shame, but it did teach me the lesson that you need to be very very careful in replacing one horse's pair-bond - it isn't just a matter of chucking things together and thinking OK so that's a companion, that's that sorted then! The energy has to be right.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Blue Cross are desperate to find temporary foster homes for ponies. My friend already has one BC pony and is taking on another 3 this month. I reckon many of the temporary foster homes my turn into permanent adoption homes if the fosterer is agreeable too.

Also RDA ponies. Our local group's ponies were on working livery at an equestrian college. They have all been farmed out to local people for the time being.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
LadyG the Blue Cross thing is crazy, they have been asking people to help but won’t take you on as a new foster home. What a complete shambles.

Apparently no new fosters, as they would need to do home checks. Fair enough, but I hope they aren’t turning horses away who then end up on that heartbreaking horse auctions site with an ‘add to cart’ button next to them.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Most of the animal rescue charities are the same - they won't rehome/foster animals to people who haven't been home checked despite their centres possibly being over-run with animals waiting to be re homed plus a dire finance situation with usual level of donations not coming in but kennel/stable/cattery expenses still going out. Tough call, their ethos is to check new homes to ensure they are suitable so they are not risking sending an animal to a bad owner or situation, but financially and logistically they are struggling at the moment.

Suechoccy

Visit site
One way round might be for the animal charities to accept recommendations from vets/farriers/dog trainers/etc as to people's suitability to rehome pets, with the professional providing an emailed written opinion gleaned from their patient records/knowledge of the person. Not without its disadvantages but maybe a possibility.

Nicnac

Visit site
Its allowed if you are moving a horse somewhere like a new yard etc.

Yes I guess so but I don't feel comfortable as have horses at home so it's more for my convenience than a necessity. It's just that one can't be left alone and as he's not being ridden due his rider being off games for a few months, it would be easier to have one here that can be left. However as I'm not going out competing nor hacking anyway it's not urgent.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The guidelines are clear that you can continue to work outside the home if you can't work from home. It's not only critical workers who can leave home but any worker including horse transporters for example. I have no problem with individuals choosing to go further than the guidance if they want to but you are not breaking any laws or going against the guidelines if you arrange to have a horse moved. I checked with DEFRA when I moved Max during lock down. The horse transporter was still legally working and fully insured and DEFRA weren't bothered about the reason for moving him. I'm not sure what the position is for moving a horse yourself though as that could be viewed as non essential travel. But it depends on how you look at it: Max needed a home and leaving him where he was indefinitely was a welfare issue. So although his loaner may not have desperately needed him immediately, he did desperately need a home so his journey was essential.