Companion ponderings

gingergreg

Visit site
In a few months I’ll be in need of a companion and I’m debating which way to go. I don’t need a second ridden horse so thinking two youngsters may be the way to go? It would avoid potential separation anxiety when I take my boy out and I have my own place they’d be relatively cheap to keep (in theory!)

Any downsides to this? My boy is pretty chilled and has turned out with youngsters before. The plan would be to sell one of the new guys in the future, either ready to back or get him backed depending on market etc.

I’d hopefully be able to borrow one temporarily and get a couple of weanlings.

Opinions?

catkin

Visit site
Is it a companion you want or a youngster to bring on? They are not necessarily the same thing - to be a true companion is a job in its own right and not every pony is suitable.

If it is a companion then perhaps contact a reputable local sanctuary.

gingergreg

Visit site
Both really, was hoping to kill two birds with one stone! My thinking was that I’d keep one as my next ridden pony for when my boy takes a step back.

CMcC

Visit site
Beware. I bought a six-month old Connie 5 years ago.Then bought a slightly older pony to keep her company. Like you the plan was to sell the second one when the Connie was ready to back. Needless to say, he didn’t get sold so I now have a five year old and a six year old to ride! Not the plan at all!

Trouper

Visit site
Charities like Blue Cross often look for homes for youngsters to be turned away to grow and receive basic handling. The advantage for me would be the ability to return them when the time comes and choose what I really wanted for my next horse. In a perfect world one of them might turn out to fit the bill for what I wanted to bring on - but when has the horse world ever been perfect!!

gingergreg

Visit site
Beware. I bought a six-month old Connie 5 years ago.Then bought a slightly older pony to keep her company. Like you the plan was to sell the second one when the Connie was ready to back. Needless to say, he didn’t get sold so I now have a five year old and a six year old to ride! Not the plan at all!

Lol, that’s a distinct possibility!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'd foster something that you know is happy to be left alone for short periods of time.
If you have two youngsters and then sell one, you'll then be leaving your current horse alone (when the time comes) while you ride your youngster. I'd get something that is happy to be left alone now, a foster can always go back if plans change.

Dollbird

Visit site
In a few months I’ll be in need of a companion and I’m debating which way to go. I don’t need a second ridden horse so thinking two youngsters may be the way to go? It would avoid potential separation anxiety when I take my boy out and I have my own place they’d be relatively cheap to keep (in theory!)

Any downsides to this? My boy is pretty chilled and has turned out with youngsters before. The plan would be to sell one of the new guys in the future, either ready to back or get him backed depending on market etc.

I’d hopefully be able to borrow one temporarily and get a couple of weanlings.

Opinions?

Honest thoughts. I wish I was as business like as you sound when it comes to animals. I'd be worth a fortune. You make it sound like they are a commodity to you. Quite sad. Just my opinion.

gingergreg

Visit site
Honest thoughts. I wish I was as business like as you sound when it comes to animals. I'd be worth a fortune. You make it sound like they are a commodity to you. Quite sad. Just my opinion.

What a bizarre comment! I love how you’ve formed such an absurd, and incorrect, opinion of me from a couple of comments. I don’t have the time or the inclination to defend myself, nor do I need to. Crack on...

gingergreg

Visit site
Problem solved - daughter wants a pony again after a break from riding.

Still bemused by the above, if anyone knows how I could make a fortune (or any kind of profit) buying a £1500 weanling and selling it for say £2500/3000 3/4 years down the line please let me know!! I’d be all over it.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I think youngsters will need a fair bit of time and handling and can get themselves into mischief and possibly annoying your older horse.I agree with others the Blue Cross would be my first choice to find a companion.They are a well set up organisation and the reassuring thing is if you find are unable to look after them due to circumstances they will take them back.