companion pony mounting Rose!

oldie48

Visit site
You may remember me posting on here some while ago that I was concerned about little fatty's behaviour towards Rose. The situation settled down once he had learned to stay away from her but I looked out of the window this morning and noticed they were standing touching each other which rang alarm bells. By the time I got out into the field he was mounting her. Clearly she is in season (this warm weather) and was totally up for it. Having spoken to the vet I am taking her in for a prostaglandin injection at the end of the month, just to be certain we don't have a baby. My gut feeling is he's a rig rather than a gelding who likes to play, he's cresty and gets an erection easily and when Rose arrived he went through two strands of electric fencing on the mains to get into her part of the field, so keeping them apart whilst she's in season is not really an option. So sadly I have messaged his owner to take him home and I am looking for a new companion for Rose. Mare or gelding??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oops! Oh dear, LF :rolleyes:

Hope you can find a good replacement swiftly. I have turned my mares out with geldings without issue in the past though I know a lot of people like to keep them separately. Millie used to get on better with geldings than mares and I think she prefers their company, provided the gelding is clueless then they are fine IME so I think you'll need to assess each one as an individual.

oldie48

Visit site
Oops! Oh dear, LF :rolleyes:

Hope you can find a good replacement swiftly. I have turned my mares out with geldings without issue in the past though I know a lot of people like to keep them separately. Millie used to get on better with geldings than mares and I think she prefers their company, provided the gelding is clueless then they are fine IME so I think you'll need to assess each one as an individual.
It's a real pain, LF isn't the ideal companion pony tbh but I have grown quite fond of him but the performance this morning was a bit worrying, even if he can't produce the goods I'm not keen on all the squealing and galloping flat out that was going on. LF was showing an interest in her right from the first day but when not in season she really hates him and is quite agressive. He will try to get close when she's being led, which isn't great tbh. OH had to get them in yesterday as I was out and I was a little bit worried. Ha, it was all going so well! I've had a couple of offers already, both geldings but I need to find out more about them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if there are any horse rescue centres in your area they may be able to provide a good match for rose as they would have had them for a while and would know their behaviour

oldie48

Visit site
if there are any horse rescue centres in your area they may be able to provide a good match for rose as they would have had them for a while and would know their behaviour
LF's owner has got to me and she also had problems with her two mares so kept him with another gelding. She's got a retired pony mare which she'd offered to exchange with me, so we'll give that a go. LF is still screaming his head off in a different paddock but at least Rose settled down to graze quietly after 10 minutes.