Competeing if your horse is not right?

Do you like Welsh Cobs?

• Total voters

Thistle

Visit site
If you knew your horse wasn't quite right and possibly has a virus, would you take it to a comp?

Inspired by posts I have read recently and comps I have been to where horses are not quite 100%

Rambo

Visit site
No....definitely not...having experienced just how badly a virus can affect my horses way of going
shocked.gif

Alibear

Visit site
If I knew it was't right then no I'd stay at home , but horses can worry you in the strangest of ways so if I was all set and already paid and wasn't sure I might take it to the venue and see how it was when we arrived etc.

Horses like us can be perfectly healthy yet still have the odd quiet day. My chap who was very sedentary always perked up once he realised he was at a party yet because he hated being fussed over was often quite miserable to do before we got there.

Previous horse used to turn her selft inside out if the she thought she was going out but then would settle like a lamb on arrivle.

As ever with horses it's not easy to tell so not a black and white answer.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Having been in this boat today definately not - if you have advance knowledge but sometimes you just cannot tell until you put them under a bit of pressure as my dressage was hyper today due to lack of work.

Alibear

Visit site
hmm but if you are not sure or only notice something when warming up and you paid getting on for three figures to enter I can totally undestand the "lets try the dressage and see" thoughts.

KatB

Visit site
Yep i took a horse to a comp knowing would only do dressage and sj, as had entered a mnth before, and towards the event, in the middle of the summer he was finding the ground hard, so went to dressage and sj, as better than not going at all! We actually just ended up dressaging. If my horse had a virus, then no way would go anywhere.

flinty_babe

New User
Visit site
If you are really sure your horse is not well,or not well enough to compete then definitely do not go to the competition.If your horse is not 100% stay at home and forget the money.Thats horses for you!

I_A_P

Visit site
if i knew they werent right then no i wouldnt go, millie had a cough today and spat out a bit of flem but after riding her she felt fine, and she seems fine in every way if it had been going on for a couple of days then i would say..no okay i wont, but shes had a busy week and seems just as she does normally!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Why would you want to take your horse out if it wasn't quite right anyway? If its possibly ill then its certainly not going to peform well. If its unwell, it should be allowed time off all work to get better. Plus its selfish if your horse could pass something onto other horses.

I_A_P

Visit site
if that comment was aimed at me which im not sure if it was or not then i have to say i would always put my horses welfare first and people who know me know that i would, i think i know the reason as to why she was like she was today and after being with her all afternoon and when i rode her she was absolutely fine.
i would never take her out unless i was sure she was fine, i had a lesson last night and she was fine and didnt struggle or anything with the work she did and had no signs of anything being wrong with her,and as i said i think i know she was like it today anyway.

sorry if it wasnt aimed at me at all and was just a general reply to the post!

vic07

Visit site
eventing is such an intense sport that if a horse isn't 100% it is very noticeable at a competition. I would never run a horse or take it to a competition if I thought it wasn't 100%. But I have gone to an event and then realised that things weren't quite right, i.e horse having off day etc.... These things happen if a horse has an off day at home it is a worry, but work at home is different from work at an event. I know people who do run horses that they really shouldn't, but I certainly wouldn't - it is too big a risk of my horse or myself. I also think if one horse is ill on a yard then the other horses on same yard shouldn't go anywhere either - obviously easy for me to say I have my own yard, but it is just selfish to pass on infection.

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi
Would never run my horse knowingly if it was unwell
frown.gif

Last year at Burnham Saf was ok in the dress and had 4 faults in the sj but at the start to the XC did not want to come out of the box, usually bouncing all over the place and striking out
blush.gif
, had to kick like mad to the first 4 fences at which point realised she was not right and retired, took her home ran bloods and virus showed up both white and red count low including hemoglobin levels
frown.gif
I was mortified I had try to run but there were no other symptoms just a change in how she was at the start
blush.gif
Have these results and the ones from where she was declared fit again so I can compare at any time
grin.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
Not sure what you mean
confused.gif
but a change in mood/ temperment(sp) is sometimes the first sign of a problem that would not show up if the horse was not put under pressure, they don't all have snotty noses and the like
confused.gif

I_A_P

Visit site
i think that if u found out you horse wasnt 100% when you got anywhere if u did not know beforehand, then i would definatly retire!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
No I would not go, but I can see why some people do go especially eventing. It costs enough to enter with naff all chance of a refund which is possibly why some would go. Personally I have lost several entry fees to BE which is annoying but my horses health and welfare are priceless.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I wouldn't my horse is too precious to me but too many people do particularly in the hunting field. I think often it is a lack of understanding rather than anything else.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Most definately not! I have actually struggled recently with this exact question, as rock is performing well and was ready to compete again and then got ill again, i was tempted to enter a few comps and hope he'll be better in time but have decided that i dont want to rush him
Its more importnat he gets back to full fitness and full health before he competes again

dieseldog

Visit site
The advantage of show jumping - you don't enter in advance and if you do they have to refund you a certain percentage if your cancel with a certain time.

Only place I enter in advance is Wales and West and they always leave the money on your account for you and try to sell your stable.

I don't go to a show if it starts raining - never mind the horse not feeling right.

SillyMare

Visit site
Obviously not if I knew they weren't right, but sometimes it isn't that obvious. I wouldn't tend to drop out unless I was fairly sure.

If it were a 50/50 decision I would tend to go and do dressage and at least warm up for the SJ.

Some days they are just in a funny mood and they are fine when they get going.