Competency to compete certificate

qwertyuiop

Visit site
I watched some BSJA today and 1 rider had obviously attended "Geoff B's School of Equitation" - point, kick, see-saw, flump. It was painful to watch (horse deserved a medal), but somehow he still jumped clear.

1 of my friends comes from Sweden and would have to pass a riding test before she was allowed to compete at any level. What is your view on whether we should have a similar test of competency before we are let loose unaffiliated or affiliated?

RunToEarth

Visit site
To be honest, having whitnessed some individual's stable management I would say you need to pass a test before owning a horse.

teddyt

Visit site
Dont know who Geoff is but yes, people should have a test before they can compete. Also strongly agree that people should need a license/pass an exam before they are allowed to own a horse. It will never happen but i wish it woud

Quadro

Visit site
i think it is an excellent idea and i also think it would improve the safety of the sport esp in eventing, in sj you can just buy a horse and go and jump a 1m30 which could be down right dangerous, maybe exams at each stage before you move up to the next level would help as well????

miss_c

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, having whitnessed some individual's stable management I would say you need to pass a test before owning a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely spot on imo.

L

lilym

In one way yes, but that would rule me out of competing which i enjoy!i can ride a fairly decent dressage but i CANNOT jump - so if the test involved this then i wouldn't be allowed to compete, which would be a tad unfair as i don't want to jump at all.

glitterfuzz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Dont know who Geoff is

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Billington.... resembles a drunk sack of spuds at times!

Great Idea!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
i think it is an excellent idea and i also think it would improve the safety of the sport esp in eventing, in sj you can just buy a horse and go and jump a 1m30 which could be down right dangerous, maybe exams at each stage before you move up to the next level would help as well????

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm Polish and actually you are not far off the Polish system here
cool.gif

I can only talk about SJ as it has been over 15 years since I competed eventing.
blush.gif

Anyway, there is 80 cm class that anybody can compete, it's just a single round and all clears are equal 1st.
Then there is 1 m class that is judged on style, in order to be allowed to jump in higher classes you need to have 3 rounds below 3,5 pen within 1 season - you get a life long licence to compete then.
The style judged classes have a template for scoring, penalties are given at 0,5 - 1 pen per mistake, there is also pen scoring for general impression.
The template includes:
cantering with correct lead, number of strides in related distances/combinations and rhythm, position of rider over jumps, position of rider between fences, speed (optimum 350 m/min) etc.
In order to compete in national level classes (130 cm) you need to have 5 clear rounds over 120cm courses within 1 season - you get 2nd licence that lasts for 2 seasons and then needs to be renewed.
To jump at 150 cm you need 3 clear round over 140 cm courses within 1 season - you get 1st licence that lasts for 2 seasons.
A placing in top 3 in national senior championships gives you masters license that is for life.