Competing Alone

gingerarab

Visit site
How many of you take yourself off to competions on your own without any help on the ground ?

And what it is you do ? how old/experienced is your horse ??

dressagelove

Visit site
ive done it a couple of times,, i dont really like it, as its kinda lonely, and the lorry ramp is blummin heavy on my own,,

normally when im on my own im just doing unaffiliated dressage,, if im eventing i feel like i need the moral support cos its along day with a lot going on

i have two which i take alone sometimes, one is a very experienced well behaved horse, hes easy to do, and the other is highly strung 6 yo, but he behaves alright really,,

why are you thinking you may not want to? if you are confident and experienced enough im ure you'll be fine

Emma S

Visit site
I do quite happily with all three of mine - I have two 7yo and a 15yo. one of the 7 yo is an exracer going through re schooling, very green.

The other two have been out and about a bit. My 15yo still plays up!! :D

Mine compete showing, show jumping, eventing and dressage.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I do, but only dressage or showing. It isn't particularly easy and if it is a big show I try and get someone along to help. I wouldn't go by myself if it was a jumping competition, although I know people do. My horse is pretty easy to cope with.

A lady turned up to compete at a dressage competition by herself, the horse slipped over in the warm up, she was taken to hospital and the organisers were left with the horse to see to. Also I know someone shut their hand in the lorry ramp and broke a finger and couldn't drive home!

For one thing, if you have been competing all day, it is very tiring to then have to drive home.

suzysparkle

Visit site
I do all the time. My husband is totally non-horsey and I'd rather he go off on his bike than hang about and get bored!

Fortunately, my Horse is a saint at shows. He'll happily stand in the trailer, or if I'm fairly close by then tied up beside it. He never bothers if a loose horse legs it past him and that has happened a couple of times.

I just compete at riding club, mainly SJ and sometimes XC. I have done a couple of ODE's as well. I try and walk courses as soon as I get there (which means the jumps are on a smaller class but that's probably better as less chance of bottling it!!) or if it's XC and local the day before. One thing I do is make sure that my medical band has my vehicle reg on it, description of it/trailer and where I leave my keys. Oh, and, take plenty hay as well to keep Horse occupied just in case.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
i do it! and i'm a total wimp!
think you have to have the right horse tho. mine is only 7 but is literally the easiest horse ever to take anywhere. he can be a little sharp to ride but travelling/tacking up/standing tied up etc etc he literally is so easy! i agree tho it is a bit lonely and dont think i would event/ode on my own but rc events/sj/dressage/clinics i'll go on my own if needs be. my totally non horsey OH always knows where i'm going, which route and when. i'm also lucky that i have use of a totally lush ladies horsebox complete with gadgets and luxeries which makes competeing on your own tht little bit easier!

suzysparkle

Visit site
Meant to say, it would be better to have someone there but I really don't have the option. We both work full time and I don't think it would be fair to drag husband along on days off.

MissTyc

Visit site
I do as I usually have no choice.
Do with all horses from before their are backed (in hand showing) until they're fit and competiting at all levels. I always make sure my mobile is on me with an ICE number (you never know!) and also have a contact number on my lorry for someone who will come to drive it home if the worst happens!!

kizzywiz

Visit site
I do all the time as OH is non horsey & most of my friends either event or dressage & I sj. Fleur is a very well behaved 6 year old, & I have taken her out on my own since I bought her when she was 5, took a friend along the first few times, then off we went. I manage fine as have my routine down to a fine art now & just flag down random stangers to give me a few fences in the warm up!

Wolfie

Visit site
I don't have my trailer test, so I hack to my local show venue alone fairly often. For dressage it is ok, but it can be a bit annoying for sj, because I either have to wait and get a jump along with someone else, or hop on and off to sort the fences out. It can be a bit lonely and it would be nice sometimes to have someone on the ground to tell me if I am making a huge mess of things as well, but needs must! My horse is 7yo, quite green but pretty settled which makes it a bit easier. Also, the venue has a mounting block which is useful!!

ETA: Walking the course is impossible when you are on your own and don;t have a trailer, so I just watch a couple of rounds and hope for the best!

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I usually do have to compete alone. For Dressage I am not at all bothered...

Jumping I try to make sure people are there I know. I will want to take someone with the firstt ime I event this one

I did do a ODE unaffil twice with old boy - when he was 7 and 8 - had him since he was 3

On riding seven year old now. Both very good to do everything and do not need help to get on etc...which makes a difference

monkeymad

Visit site
I do. My horse is a poppet luckily and loads and travels well. Event up to Novice and show jump up to Newcomers. Have always gone on my own and actually quite enjoy the peace and quiet of it!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
I do - no choice, wouldn't compete if I felt I had to have someone with me. I've done up to novice BE and newcomers alone. Now know enough people locally that I generally see someone I know and if not I strike up a conversation with people! I'm perfectly happy on my own, but I do have the ice number in my phone of someone I know could sort out horse and lorry (ie not OH)!!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
Although i don't go competing on my own, I do go hunting on my own, & quite often end up parked on my own, so hacking to & from meets on my own as well, generally I make sure some one knows roughly where I have gone, did once cause my mum's neighbour to panic that i hadn't come back by 7.30pm (eating cake & drinking tea) but they informed me they'd planned a search party if i hadn't reappeared soon! Once I'm out, they know me so don't worry about what would happen to horse/lorry in event of a disaster!

feefeeb28

Visit site
I do when I have to but it's hard work on your own and can be difficult to walk courses and get numbers etc. I usually befriend the people parked next to me and sweetheart them to keep an eye if I disappear off. I also worry about hurting myself/pony and not having backup.

Missadelaide

Visit site
I compete eventing, at unaffiliated and intro at the moment. My mare is rising 5 and a real poppet to handle. Very easy to load and she is trained to stand at the side ramp for me to get on as my little legs don't reach her 16.2hh body! She can be sharp to ride but I never feel unsafe, I wouldn't do it if I did.

As with some of the others, it's not by choice. If I had to wait for somebody to come with me, I really would never go anywhere. It can be lonely, but most people are friendly, so there's usually somebody to chat to! x

star

Visit site
i do it a lot - not really bothered. I have done dressage, SJ, hunter trials, hunting etc. I would do eventing as well but only if I had to - it's so much easier with someone to help and also lovely to have the company!
Edit to say, horses are as in signature.

jam

Visit site
I recently competed two horses at a 2* on my own, it was quite manageable but don't think i would of liked to have done it if i wasn't stabling, its turning horses round on the lorry where an extra hand is a massive help. i normally compete horses at all levels on my own(but appreciate any help when i can get it!) sometimes is a bit difficult with the younger ones but i sometimes find it easier on my own than worrying about the person handling them especially if its mum, she bruises way to easily and i never hear the end of it. lol

soupdragon71

Visit site
Me too! Not a problem dressage or showjumping but have noticed whenever I go eventing on my own I'm not as brave on XC - think I'm worried if I do have a fall I'm stuck. So I do try to get a volunteer groom or at least know that someone will be there that I know in case there is a problem (obviously not a problem if a local event).

snowcrew

Visit site
I have always really enjoyed taking my mare out alone and doing dressage at various venues. Although, eventing or jumping I would generally go with a friend or my daughter who would help and if a problem I have another pair of hands!

It is difficult if competitors are alone and an accident happens, but obviously some riders do not have the option.

At BE venues lone competitors are supposed to inform the Secretary if they do not have support at the competition. Unfortunately, this does not always happen and organisers are left trying to sort out the rider, horse and vehicle. I have never known Organisers to complain about this, but obviously it would be a good system to introduce across all disciplines.

Louby

Visit site
Im facing this and cant say Im looking forward to it. Im planning on a local show inhand first, mainly as my horse can be stupid. If he was sensible then I dont think Id be bothered as I used to go everywhere with my last horse alone. OH did say he will come with me for moral support but he is non horsey so not much help really. If that goes well then Ive got to make myself do it. Im lucky to have transport but havent been anywhere in it yet :eek::eek:

PorkChop

Visit site
I regularly compete on my own - I event and living in Cornwall I am usually hours from home.

If I am taking two horses I tend to arrange to have help come with me or a groom local to the area I am going to. This can be quite difficult - I actually thought when the BE buddy forum was launched it would be easier - not.

If I am taking one horse I think nothing of being by myself - however my husband knows if something happens he has a long drive ahead! Last year I was competing away, about four hours away, and dislocated my finger (painful), and my husband was quite prepared to jump in the car - luckily managed to drive home - but that wasn't much fun.

I always inform the secretary that I am on my own.

However I think if you have the choice and you like having company it is far more sensible having company :)

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I do most of the time, I used to do BSJA and years ago would go most weekends with my young 4yo. I also went to 4 day shows, taking a camp bed and the black lab. sleeping overnight in the trailer. after a season of this I bought a small lorry which I kept for a good few years until it fell apart!

During this time I met my hubby who is non horsey and he lets me use his 4x4 so I changed the lorry to a trailer. I decided if I can't buy a decent lorry I wouldn't get one. I moved to eventing a couple of years ago so most shows are one day anyway although I have slept in the trailer overnight once or twice last year. I have now got a pop up tent for inside the trailer as it can rain in!!! I also have a propane gas heater to make tea and a small propane gas heater which I take.

For warming up at BS shows, I get tacked up and on when there is about 8-10 people before me, after a short warm up if the upright becomes a cross I will pop it in trot a couple of times, and warm up alongside the other rider. once I have jump half a dozen times I will pull up and walk round until the horse before me is about to go in. then I pop the upright and make my way to the ring entrance.

At BE events there is usually always a cross pole so its easier, and I don't warm up as much as we have already done the Dr.

Once you are into a routine its very easy. :)

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Im facing this and cant say Im looking forward to it. Im planning on a local show inhand first, mainly as my horse can be stupid. If he was sensible then I dont think Id be bothered as I used to go everywhere with my last horse alone. OH did say he will come with me for moral support but he is non horsey so not much help really. If that goes well then Ive got to make myself do it. Im lucky to have transport but havent been anywhere in it yet :eek::eek:

If you take a friend/OH for moral support your first couple of times out, then you'll be into a routine and you'll know what your horse is likely to do for the times when you are on your own. I must say I never took my hosses to their first ever show without someone with me - just in case.

I'm sure it will be fine :)

chels

Visit site
I do, I event and do dressage, and the occasional sj show. I'm from NZ, most our horse trials are two day events and my truck doesn't really have accommodation, just a single bed over the cab. So I pack my boy and mum camp cooker and off we go!
He's fairly easy to take away, we tie to the side of the truck over here and he stands with a hay net no worries. I know quite a few people who compete on the circuit as well, so there is always someone to talk to, and a friend and I help each other warm up quite often. I get a little stressy, and am often best left to my own devices on xc day!
I did break my wrist at a competition in Nov last year. We were about 3 and a half hours drive away from home, not ideal! Luckily lots of people pitched in, a friend took my horse, and some friends that were down that way for a weekend away came past on the way home, Fiona took me in the car and Kevin drove my truck. I'm lucky to have good friends, and I find what goes around comes around!

ecrozier

Visit site
I quite often go alone - yesterday evented two alone, one 15 year old Arab one almost 5 year old at his first event. Thankfully both are very calm and easy to handle. My OH came over to the venue for the jumping parts of the young horse's day out to check we were safe and he is competant with the horses if anything happenned and as it appenned friends watched me jump j. I usually know someone there, if going way out of area I migh take my mum altho she would be naff all use!

monte1

Visit site
I usually go and compete alone, mainly as have no choice, ( if my 12 year old daughter decides to come she just disappears off to watch the event anyway, so may as well go by myself....LOL) horse is normally pretty chilled when we go out, so, makes things a lot easier we go and do most things dressage, SJ and XC mostly locally (within an hours drive or so) and now our very first ODE yesterday..YAY ( although I did rope my sister into coming along for this one as had no idea how it would all go!) I too am very stressy before events, so , often best left alone and keeping myself busy getting my horse ready does seem to steady my nerves! I normally say hi and chat to whoever I park next to and will just ask someone to hold my horse while I walk the SJ course if i need to. mostly people are really nice and helpful and I also try to help out someone if I can, as you say what goes around comes around!

ecrozier, were you a lorry parked right at the front by the hedge with a bay arab and another horse?

Last edited:

Sanolly

Visit site
I do, with my 10 year old cob, just turned 6 year old welsh and will do with my new girl when I finally get back on board!

I have my vehicle/trailer details on my armband for XC. I also have my I.C.E details under the lining of my hat including phone numbers for the horse, dog and my NOK.

Mups

Visit site
I am always on my own - sadly there are not many willing horsey helpers nearby and OH is unwilling. I had to sell my last horse as I couldn't manage on my own but the 5 year old I've got now has been everywhere and is a dream. I generally find that there are lots of very kind and helpful people around willing to help if you are stuck X

SnowGoose

Visit site
I do most of the time, as others have said, would never go anywhere if i didnt! when i used to take out 2 horses to BE used to bribe friends as much as possible to help so only did a few by myself, tight turnarounds when theyre at different levels to sort tack, clothing etc was a challenge :eek:

think my friends who also event worry about me more than i do when i head off on my own though B is pretty well behaved and reliable most of the time. i always put on my BE entries that i'm travelling alone and one of my emergency contacts is friend with lorry who could sort horse in an emergency (my parents number is on there incase of major incident but they live in the north of scotland and wouldnt know one end of a horse from another so pretty useless all round :D)

sometimes friends come with me now i'm just eventing one horse and i find it really bizarre, great to have people to chat to but they are way too efficient!!! i'm used to being so busy i dont really have time to think about things til its over, when someone else is helping with tack changes, studs, cooling off etc you have way too much time on your hands to panic :eek: