Competing in a pandemic

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello all,

I'm just looking to see what everyone is doing since the government guidance to avoid social interactions, avoid all non-essential travel and not to attend mass gatherings. BE events are cancelled, but mainly because of the need for ambulances to attend. BD national competitions and regional training are cancelled, but normal fixtures are going ahead as normal.

I was intending to go out dressaging on Saturday to a local venue. They are doing all the right things and have released a statement about how to behave at the competition (don't go to the office, cafe closed, test sheets will be delivered to lorry etc) to avoid contamination. But I can't get past the feeling that I shouldn't be going because of the outbreak.

on the other hand, I'm still expected to go to work in person, travelling to courts all over the country, mainly on public transport. I'm more likely to catch it at work than at a show (but then I could spread it to others...)

So what's everyone else doing?

Wheels

Visit site
Having a few months off competing and getting prepared to move up a level when shows get going again properly - or maybe 2 levels depending on how long this goes on

DressageCob

Visit site
As you say, I know what the correct answer is. But I'm also conscious that I haven't had the best luck with my little lad, with lameness issues, foot imbalance, eye loss, arthritis etc. After the eye thing I took the view that I should just snatch opportunities when they arise because who knows how long I will have him competing. I've spent the winter getting him ready, finally chose an outing then... But I do know that's selfish in the current situation.

Argh.

mavandkaz

Visit site
All BD competitions are cancelled (and presume BS too, and BRC?) I would imagine it will only be a matter of time before the unaff ones are as well.

I think I'm just going to try and focus on training, and hacking whilst that is still allowed

Wheels

Visit site
What about online comps? I am toying with that but it would be expensive with entry fees and the need for me to hire an arena because mine is not standard

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Everything I had entries for has been cancelled or postponed.
I will be training at home for as long as I have a job to pay for it & livery fees, if that goes out the window then it will all get a lot more challenging!
Hopefully it wont last too long, but otherwise I hope we'll be ready to go up a level by the time it's all over, who knows.

Online dressage shows seem to be gearing up to run advanced classes but that will depend on having a long arena to film in.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I was very surprised to receive several emails from TREC this week about entries for their summer competitions with no mention of covid19 / what they plan to do about it. V odd to open entries for an event yesterday given everything going on.

Abi90

Visit site
I'm guessing too that TREC events and even non-competitive stuff like pleasure rides may be cancelled...... ??? Simply because of the risk of needing an ambulance??

Although..... they're allowing racing to happen "behind closed doors" - and there's always an ambulance chasing the race with that!

EGB have already cancelled a load of events.

DressageCob

Visit site
All BD competitions are cancelled (and presume BS too, and BRC?) I would imagine it will only be a matter of time before the unaff ones are as well.

I think I'm just going to try and focus on training, and hacking whilst that is still allowed

I thought the announcement today was that national comps/regional training are cancelled but shows are on as normal. That's what BD commented on their post on Facebook anyway, but I haven't seen everything. That's what put the doubt in my mind; I was certain everything would be cancelled but then BD/BS seem to think it is possible to continue with correct management.

TRECtastic

Visit site
We ran an indoor TREC comp last weekend, venue said on the day that we were the last event they were letting go ahead there.
I can't see any TREC comps or camps running this summer, I imagine TREC GB will announce that tomorrow.
A few clubs, including ours, are looking at running online PTV and MA comps over the summer

milliepops

Visit site
I thought the announcement today was that national comps/regional training are cancelled but shows are on as normal. That's what BD commented on their post on Facebook anyway, but I haven't seen everything. That's what put the doubt in my mind; I was certain everything would be cancelled but then BD/BS seem to think it is possible to continue with correct management.
All my local venues have cancelled after the joint statement was issued.
I don't think we'll see any BS or BD shows for a while, realistically.

DressageCob

Visit site
All my local venues have cancelled after the joint statement was issued.
I don't think we'll see any BS or BD shows for a while, realistically.

I think that's right, in terms of future shows. it will be a good few months I reckon. The venue I was looking at released a statement saying they were continuing but with precautions, as did Reaseheath College, but I haven't looked at other ones in my area. I know Somerford were still saying their camps were going ahead, and that surprised me because they involve people in very close proximity.

tatty_v

Visit site
Everything I had booked in locally and with the riding club has been cancelled all the way up to a June, including a BHS fun ride. It’s a bit gutting as my boy is 20 so I am always conscious this could be our last “full on” year, plus we don’t have an arena at home so basically limited to hacking (which is still mega muddy). This is not turning out to be a vintage horse year ?

Muddywellies

Visit site
Hello all,

I'm just looking to see what everyone is doing since the government guidance to avoid social interactions, avoid all non-essential travel and not to attend mass gatherings. BE events are cancelled, but mainly because of the need for ambulances to attend. BD national competitions and regional training are cancelled, but normal fixtures are going ahead as normal.

I was intending to go out dressaging on Saturday to a local venue. They are doing all the right things and have released a statement about how to behave at the competition (don't go to the office, cafe closed, test sheets will be delivered to lorry etc) to avoid contamination. But I can't get past the feeling that I shouldn't be going because of the outbreak.

on the other hand, I'm still expected to go to work in person, travelling to courts all over the country, mainly on public transport. I'm more likely to catch it at work than at a show (but then I could spread it to others...)

So what's everyone else doing?
I would still go. We need to support our already struggling comp venues. Just be careful what you do, be antisocial, and wash wash wash. I'm planning on competing outdoors next week. I'm already antisocial so avoiding others comes pretty naturally to me

mavandkaz

Visit site

I typical BD fashion they replied wrongly on their own post. I queried it, and they have edited.
As of Friday, ALL competitions are cancelled. So that is everyone except for Trec GB.
I finally have a horse I would trust to take on pleasure rides, but would imagine they will be cancelled due to needing medical staff, and people tend to arrive/go round in groups more then any other horsey activity.
As long as we are still able to hack out... (I'm on day 5 of isolation, and missing doing the horse. Will just be just my luck that just as I get out, we will be in total lockdown)

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
Riding club on site at my yard is still running, just with hand washing precautions etc. We're a bit of a special case though as the riding school horses are used by club members who don't have their own so no one travels in, and us liveries still get to take part on our own, which is something! Everything else locally is shutting down indefinitely however.

rara007

Visit site
I’ve had 3 things cancelled so far. One I’ve rerouted to a ridden ODE Sunday that as of this morning is still going ahead. My next ??? is our April Holland event- it’s the week after the FEI have currently stopped and starts the day before the UK non essential international travel ends. Trains are booked, entry is in but I can’t see it happening.
I don’t want to be ‘the’ one out doing stuff when she shouldn’t be but equally I don’t want to stop too soon not supporting businesses which in turn are families livelihoods before needed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My info is that RDA groups have been instructed by Headquarters to cancel everything. I

I really can't see the sense of even attempting to hold a show. Small shows will be unlikely to have spent much yet this year, unless they are held very early in the season, so will be able to keep that money for (hopefully) next year's show. The bigger shows, County and agricultural will lose money, I am sure but they must fall into the 'large gatherings' category. I feel extremely sorry for the stallholders who will lose most of their annual income because of cancellations.

milliepops

Visit site
BD in my region have just announced some online competition, like a cross between online dressage and test riding clinic. It looks like a great idea and includes freestyles. A good few venues are still doing individual arena hire slots so I'm going to see if I can rope in a cameraman and do some of that. Keep a bit of income for BD and venues but still able to keep up the social distancing as the guidelines currently stand.

Visit site
It is recommended that no one does anything that may result in an ambulance call so many show centres feel obliged to cancel all competitions. Arena hire and private lessons are still going ahead.

Patterdale

Visit site
If it’s still running I’m still going, I don’t get within a metre of anyone at events anyway.
I’d already entered a ODE in two weeks, as of now they’re still running.

It’s open air, no big crowds and no close contact. I think a bit of common sense is (badly) needed here.

abbijay

Visit site
I appreciate how many businesses are going to be seriously impacted by this but I do think people are being thoroughly irresponsible in certain aspects. If you read any of the medical advice it is not about the majority of us who are young, fit and well but our elderly relatives and friends and those with health complications. If we cannot slow the progression of this virus the healthcare system has no ability to respond and we will be signing the death warrant of many of our loved ones, not just from this but secondary illnesses that cannot be provided treatment for.
Ok; open air schooling and a quiet hack on a farm ride for those who are well should not be an issue but encouraging people to do high risk activities (say, XC shooling which is regularly visited by an ambulance) or allowing group gatherings (like camps with shared kitchen and hygiene facilities) should be withdrawn.
I will not be going out anywhere until things have calmed down.

cauda equina

Visit site
I was fence judging at a hunter trial last weekend; most of the FJs were older people

I think it's easier for competitors to keep their distance at competitions than for the people running it