Competing in agility (Help needed!)

seaofdreams

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice/help!

I have been training with my WCS for a good couple of years now, we have had the odd break but not since this time last year, we train once a week although I have asked if I can join another class too, we were both complete beginners when we started.

My dog (Sam) is not an easy dog, he is so fast but he is doing really well, our weaves are really the only thing that lets us down, mainly because he wants to do them at 100 miles an hour and well, that just doesn't work, oh and the see-saw as again going at 100mph it doesn't touch the ground and Sam just launches of the end! but he loves it so much and just enjoys it so much I'd love to do more.

I'm having really bad luck with the horses and it doesn't look like I will be out at all with them this year, so I'd really like to get the dog out competing!

Now I'm not to worried if I don't come home with firsts but I think my instructor might be.

I have asked numerous times now only to be told he isn't ready, the weaves aren't good enough, he isn't ready for courses (although we're always doing them in lessons) my positioning isn't good enough etc etc. What is confusing me is that every other dog in my lesson is out competing, yet in our last few lessons, my dog is the only one who has got around the courses first time. To me it seems we just don't fit in! I know we are not perfect but surely we have got to start somewhere?!

I also have the opportunity to compete my mum's dog too, he is also a WCS and hasn't been doing it for long as my mum has only had him 6 months after taking him on from an elderly couple that couldn't cope with him. Fred is a lot slower than Sam so running the two really helps, I run Fred first then Sam.

I feel both dogs could start to go out now and I'm fed up of being told no by my instructor so I'm going it alone!

My dog is already KC registered and mum is sending her papers of this week, I've emailed a lady regarding having them measured at BCA on 21st Feb.

What I'm after is some advice and help of what I need to do next! I was also looking at UK Agility comps.

Thanks, Helen

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I don't mean to be a party pooper but if your contacts and weaves aren't solid I would personally give KC competition a miss for a while longer. In the ring the opportunity to correct behaviours is very limited - most judges will let you pop a dog back over a contact once but it's by no means guaranteed and at KC you can't carry anything to reward. With a fast keen dog it's very easy to accidentally reinforce poor contact criteria, the charged atmosphere gets to them and they'll go pinging off every which way, storing up more problems for next time.

Are there any independents near you? I don't know much about UKA but some of the indies will allow a certain amount of training in the ring, hold classes with no weaves/seesaw and allow a silent toy to be carried for dogs new to competition. The rings are often fenced as well. We did these for over a year before taking the plunge at KC and it made all the difference, it was a great gentle introduction to competition without undoing all our hard work in training.

If you've got your KC registration then it's just the measuring really, anything other than an obviously large dog will need a second and possibly third measure. Once your first measure is signed off in your record book you're good to start entering. :)

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I agree with BC, don't think about KC competitions just yet, if your weaves and contacts are not brilliant yet. UKA shows are great for training, you can enter on the day and run NFC, so you can take a toy in. If you are in Berkshire, there are UKA shows at Barbury Castle and Maple Durham (Reading) in the next couple of months. Also, the FAB shows are also great, the rings are fenced and everyone is really friendly.

Henbug

Visit site
I agree with BC, don't think about KC competitions just yet, if your weaves and contacts are not brilliant yet. UKA shows are great for training, you can enter on the day and run NFC, so you can take a toy in. If you are in Berkshire, there are UKA shows at Barbury Castle and Maple Durham (Reading) in the next couple of months. Also, the FAB shows are also great, the rings are fenced and everyone is really friendly.

This exactly, look for some UKA shows, they're the best place you could start, as well as being able to run NFC there are also steeplechase classes which only include jumps and tunnels, no contacts and no weaves, perfect to practice running a course competitively while then being able to go into a jumping or agility class nfc and work on your contacts/weaves. I'd always start any dog/handler at UKA if possible.

I'd also add that it sounds like both you and your dog are ready for this step but KC competition could prove a set back for your weaves and contacts because you'd be unable to correct anything in the ring. Good luck, it sounds like you potentially have a very good dog! Enjoy!

seaofdreams

Visit site
Thanks all, his weaves are fine as long as he slows down! He know what he is meant to be doing, but if he comes in to fast he tends to do the first 4 and the last 4!!, the rest of the contacts are fine and the with the see-saw he just takes it so fast he hits the contact but it doesn't hit the ground!!

I only thought I could compete as others in my class are out competing but there weaves aren't always perfect either and one dog is terrified of the dog walk and a few run off mid course.
A friend of a friend takes hers out and competes in a class which apparently only has jumps and tunnels, this was the type of class I was planning to enter with him until our weaves were better just to get him out and about.

I'm based in bucks/Berks area.
I tried to register with the UKA today as the friend of a friend said I could go with her.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As others have said, I would try and find some independent shows. I started agility last summer with my daughters Lancashire heeler and we have mainly done independents, where the beginners classes don't have weaves or seesaws. I have done a few KC but prefer the independents at this stage in his competing. I had a similar problem with seesaw, particularly as Pickle is very light and has to get a good way along the seesaw before it tips. The club I go to only gets the see saw out occasionally so I went for a few one to one lessons with another trainer which gave me the opportunity to really work on the seesaw and he is now pretty steady on it.

seaofdreams

Visit site
As others have said, I would try and find some independent shows. I started agility last summer with my daughters Lancashire heeler and we have mainly done independents, where the beginners classes don't have weaves or seesaws. I have done a few KC but prefer the independents at this stage in his competing. I had a similar problem with seesaw, particularly as Pickle is very light and has to get a good way along the seesaw before it tips. The club I go to only gets the see saw out occasionally so I went for a few one to one lessons with another trainer which gave me the opportunity to really work on the seesaw and he is now pretty steady on it.

This the problem I have, we rarely use the weaves or the see-saw and sadly I don't have enough room in the back garden for anything! I have asked my instructor about joining another group so he goes twice a week and one to one lessons but I've asked this before and she never gets back to me.
How do I find independent comps? I wonder if I could find a trainer that would do some one to one with us both. I just don't feel I'm getting any further along, we keep practising courses in our lessons with tunnels,A frame,dog walk but he is fine with all of them. It's just the weaves and the see-saw that is the issue.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Have a look on agility net. They list all the shows, independent, UKA and KC. There is also a section on there with details of trainers, clubs etc so you might find someone who can help you.

Shaznchaz

Visit site
I agree with the others about independent shows which allow training in the ring. If these are not easily available near you, then I suggest looking at anysize jumping classes or steeple chase classes at a KC show. These don't have contacts or weaves (although check the schedule RE anysize as some do!). I found anysize classes very useful when starting my younger dog competing as the courses are usually very straight forward. This was especially important for him as my older dog won into grade 3 two months before the pup was due to compete. Also the lower jumps in the anysize shouldn't overwhelm your dog at his first show - useful for getting them used to the atmosphere

Oenoke

Visit site
How have you trained the weaves (channel, v, 2 by 2, luring)? What is your contact criteria (2 on/2 off, running, 4 off)?

samlf

Visit site
I agree with the others - going to unaff/independent local shows to start with will help to improve you both. You aren't near enough to me for me to know what you've got in the area, but we have some really good little 'starter' shows here that we recommend our newbies go to, they are very supportive and encouraging.

I think you really need to think about working on your weaves though, depending on what method you use might be worth changing or rethinking.

sam-b

Visit site
Agree with independent shows being a good introduction, especially as weaves are now compulsory in all kc classes