Competing with cushings

frankster

Visit site
Has anyone done this?

We have taken on an ex eventer with the affliction, no intention to compete but as he is only 12 and been doing BE90/100 I was intrigued to know how many other horses are out there.

Not that many years ago cushings ( IF diagnosed) was a 'short sentence' to pts!

Thank you all

ihatework

Visit site
There will be horses up and down the country well managed on prascend and doing a good ridden job, which could easily involve competing.

However prascend is a banned substance.
I actually got a LOU payout on a diagnosed 7yo competition horse

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I think you'd have to consider that the symptoms could present themselves at any time. I believe the drug is banned for competing anyway

Shay

Visit site
Pony Club is the only affiliated body not to have banned pergolide / prascend. We competed a 128cm SJ'r for 2 years with Cushings (long before pergolide - as it was then - was banned). He did very well until age and cushings related changes made him unrideable and he went on to have 2 more years with us as a pet before he died. (Born pre passports he was approx 32).

Obviously you can compete either pony club or unaffilliated. Or take the risk affilliated - but if you were caught the fines etc can be punitive.

claracanter

Visit site
I think there must be lots of old pony club school masters who have Cushings and compete. I think it would be fine to compete UA and realistically what are the chances of being dope tested at the lower end of affiliated.If you look at the FEI list of banned substances it is a ' controlled ' one and not totally banned, which I think means horses can have it but must be clear of it for competition. This is great if anyone knew how long Prascend stays in the system. Wouldn't it be great if Cushings horses could be medically exempt as it is taken to maintain their health and not as a performance enhancer. It needs to be something like a TUE that they have in cycling, something like that Bradley Wiggins uses.