Competition livery

johnrichards

New User
Visit site
I have a nice 6 year old horse being competed by my daughter up to 1.20 - 1.30 level. She is due to go to uni in september and i was thinking about puttiing the horse into competition livey to continue its career, we've had the horse since he was a foal and has nice breeding.

What sort of money does this cost and what do you pay for extra or is everything usually included within the livery. And finally any recommendation of people who offer this service. Thanks for any help or tips

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Good idea on paper , but do be carefull as there are an unbelievable amount of yards out there that won't do the right thing by the horse or manage the horse in the right way,& the horse ends up sore/ broken / useless . You will find the right yard but Do go by personal reccomendations and check the horse every week in the first few months..

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I would expect competition livery in the East Midlands area to be from £180 per week upwards. For this I would expect full livery including the horse being worked to prepare it to compete. Additional costs are items such as shoeing, vets bills, any suppliments over and above what the yard provide, venue hire for training, transport to events if not using your own, horse/owner registration fees, entry fees and possibly a rider fee.

Definitely agree with going on personal recommendations to find somewhere.

Polos

Visit site
We found our competition rider through our vets. We rang them asking if they had any recommendations, they suggested the person he is with now.

The rider he is with now takes very good care of him and we have been to see him quite a few times and he looks very happy :)

Maybe it is worth asking round to see if anyone knows anyone and then maybe try and watch that rider at a show to see if you like their style of riding before you commit to anything.

paddy

Visit site
Further south but Kevin Woods in Essex. He doesn't hammer his horses and is very experienced both as a rider and a trainer. OH has known him for over 20 years and I'd be happy to send one of ours to him.