Competition Report - Henry goes XC

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
It's been too long since I rode around a cross country course. 7 long months. I've trained plenty but it's not quite the same.

Sunday wasn't just any day though, it was a Big Deal Day. It was I was awake at 3am thinking about it day. It was Henry's first competitive XC day!

I was nervous after I walked the course, after all it was the 45cm and 65cm olympics. It was a lovely course, very inviting but it's hard to know what to expect when you have never done it before which us why I opted to do 45cm. I wanted to build Hen's confidence and I wanted to make sure I could stay confident to support him.
Jump 1!

Henry was FRESH when we headed out to warm up, throwing himself all over the shop. It was a tense time for him but I was surprisingly calm. He chilled out when we jumped some jumps and by the time we were in the start box, he was his usual self.

Since it was a Hunter Trials, the first obstacle was a gate so we walked out of the start box and opened and closed the gate like we do every time we go for a trail ride at home. The we were off! We trotted the first jump with no hesitation, landed in canter and bowled along to fence 2. I had the biggest grin on my face, because it all felt easy. For the most part we cantered but if there were any jumps I thought he needed to have a look at I trotted him to. He didn't look twice at anything, cantered right through the water and finished like a seasoned pro.

We had a bit of time before our 65cm round so we watch a bit of XC and had lunch. I was feeling very confident, having more of an idea how Henry would handle it all.

He was his usual self in the warm up this time around but was much keener at the start box. He is a fast learner thats for sure! Right out of the start box Henry was ready to go, and he tackled fence 1 with no hesitation. He was awesome, although a little distracted by jump judges in a few places. He couldn't quite work out why all these people were out there watching him.

He felt super confident, though looked hard at the log right before the water, but jumped right over. He stopped at a pipe 2 jumps on, I think he was a little distracted by the undulating ground and he didn't work out what was going on until close in. We represented and he jumped it without a care in the world and we trotted to the next jump to give him a good chance to look at it. He didn't worry though and cantered the last few fences like the good boy he is.

I really couldn't have asked for anything more from him. He was confident, calm and rideable. It was fun to be out there. As an added bonus We came 4th in our 45cm round and won the best performed Off the Track Thoroughbred. What a clever horse!