Concerned about crest...

NinjaPony

Visit site
Just looking to pick some HHO brains. My 19 year old welsh pony is always on a diet, but there is no history of laminitis in the 13 years I’ve had him. This summer he has developed a really solid thick crest that I just can’t shift. He has arthritis and is largely retired but I’ve been hand walking him four times a week or so, and he’s on soaked hay, bare paddock (he gets muzzles off) and a handful of sugar free chaff just to get his supplements in him. I’m also concerned that his coat seems a lot thicker than last year, he’s shedding quite a lot of fluffy hair which seems odd for this time of year. In the back of my mind, I’m concerned he might have developed cushings? I don’t know much about the condition, or how the test actually works, so just looking to see if anyone can shed some light. The last thing I want is a laminitic pony, and as he gets older I’m aware that these things can develop in little ponies...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would definitely get a cushings test, the basic is the ACTH test and start feeding magnesium for the crest too.

NinjaPony

Visit site
He doesn’t have any swelling, it’s just the crest and coat that’s concerning me. I’m thinking of ringing the vets tomorrow and seeing what they suggest- I’m happy to have the test if it puts my mind at ease.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I rang the vets today and they are coming out tomorrow to do the tests- they use the voucher so the ACTH test will be free, I had no idea that existed so thanks for the heads up Ester!

ester

Visit site
fab, it moves around a bit it used to be on the talkaboutlaminitis site. I've used them 3 times.

Reactions: DD

NinjaPony

Visit site
Just to update- his levels came back at 44, which is under the threshold for treatment. I’m going to retest in the autumn just in case. For now, he is still shedding and quite fluffy compared to my Connie, but there isn’t much I can do about that! It’s just odd as normally he is so sleek, but I suppose the weather has been rather odd this year. I will continue managing him on a strict laminitis diet, and would be interested to know how the magnesium works re reducing the crest?

Equi

Visit site
He sounds similar to my boy whos test came back at 28. His age/treatment is the exact same as yours too. Who knows why these animals do things.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I have a Welsh D very similar this year, he's 15 years old & have had him since a foal, he's out on a bare paddock, body weight is ok but hes got about 2 inches of crest so not much, but I'm trying to shift it, and he's also moulting a bit at the moment! He's out 24/7 on a bald paddock & has a slice of hay & small feed for a supplement to be hidden in. I'm using herbal slim from natural horse supplies which has mag ox in - worth a try!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if the cut off point is 47, then 44 is very close so you are doing the right thing with the diet but i would keep an eye on any symptoms like drinking and weeing more, fat pads over the eyes maybe look at old photos and see if the indentation above the eyes are the same, lethargy, skin problems, wounds taking a long time to heal, any signs of footyness.... mine showed signs by being late to lose coat and being very quiet,no other symptoms, because i knew my horse i asked for a cushings test and when my vet came she thought it would be negative as she looked so well and didnt look like she had cushings...the reading was 172 so very high...

cushings chart.png

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
I'd definitely trial prascend with that result and symptoms.

Re. magnesium I can find the papers later but if you look up Dr Kellon, laminitis and magnesium they should come up :).

I have a sample size of 1- when we were having liver issues I took everything out of my own welshie's (then 24?!) diet and he fairly quickly threw up a crest and tail head fat which he hadn't had previously. Improved lots when I had put him back on the magnesium (we have high calcium forage) and not had tail head fat since.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Stupid question really but how do I get the vet to agree to trial it when they were quite clear that they weren’t going to recommend starting treatment? Their advice was to continue to manage him very carefully, and to retest in the autumn. I will have to switch vets soon anyway as I will be moving them to Gloucestershire in September so I was planning to get current vets out to reissue their prescriptions of medication (there are quite a few...!) in a few weeks. My other one is having ongoing treatment for asthma so I may well see the vets sooner than that anyway, and I could maybe speak to them about a trial then. He’s very well in himself, full of the joys of summer and very lively! Horses eh, I swear they will turn me grey soon...