Condensation in horsebox

Julia0803

Visit site
Hi all,

I picked up my new 3.5t box at the weekend. Super excited and really pleased with it.

Parked up at the yard after driving it home Saturday night. Drive home was just over an hour and a half motorway driving. It was -5c by the time we parked up.

Late Sunday afternoon I opened it up and was putting bits inside when I noticed there was condensation all over the ceiling. Assume it's condensation rather than a leak as it was small water droplets all over ceiling, not in one place. They'd then frozen.

Silly question, is this normal? If there's a problem I'd rather let the company who built it know asap.

Is there anything I can do to prevent it as I assume getting damp isn't going to be good for it.

Thank you.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I would think it is just condensation due to the extreme changes in temperature...as happens in cars that have been driven, heated, and cool down. A lorry probably isn't as well sealed from outside damp as a car.
Try putting some cat litter in a cloth bag ( or a couple of old socks) to soak up the damp and hang up in the damp area.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
I assume you had the heating on when driving home. Hot air holds more water vapour than cold air. As the air cools the condensation appears on any colder surface.

A simple solution is to turn your heater off and open your window a few minutes before you park. I realise that this makes it cold but you shouldn't notice the effect for a few minutes. It will also make your home seem warmer when you go in!

However, as it's a new build I'd be having a word with the manufacturers in case something isn't sealed correctly.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine gets this. It's an old lorry but its definitely condensation and not a leak.

yes me too, I leave one of the small windows open a little to allow the airflow. But as this is a new lorry I'd give the manufacturers a quick call first just in case.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've never experienced a condensation issue in my lorry until this weekend & when I opened it up there were droplets of water all over the ceiling in the horse area. I just think it's down to the weird weather & temperature changes we've been having over the last week or so.

Julia0803

Visit site
It's a new build yes.

Condensation seemed logical bearing in mind it was so cold when it was parked up but, slightly concerned as most of the ceiling was covered hence thinking is this right/won't this damage it long term.

If it's fairly standard then I'll try some of the ideas suggested but wanted to see what the general opinion was.

Thanks

MissTyc

Visit site
I always open a window in the horse area when I drive mine - and often the roof vent as well. Stops the condensation and damp issues (mostly! but mine is a bit older and probably not so well sealed)

Fragglerock

Visit site
I had a thought - my parents used to have a dehumidifier in their mobile home, it had a sensor on it so it only came on when it was damp.

WelshD

Visit site
As someone said above speak with the makers

A window left slightly open should help as it will allow a bit of airflow, I have the old fashioned sort of horsebox with the gaps all around the top of the walls and never get condensation because the temperature inside v outside is not dramatically different

frannieuk

Visit site
I leave my lorry hooked up with a greenhouse heater on at this time of year - it keeps it from getting damp and there are no issues with condensation. I think the heater keeps it at about 12c.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I get terrible condensation in my van when its very cold-part of me breathing, the dog breathing etc heating up and getting cold. window open and you can get various things for caravans and boats to absorb it.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hi all,

I picked up my new 3.5t box at the weekend. Super excited and really pleased with it.

Parked up at the yard after driving it home Saturday night. Drive home was just over an hour and a half motorway driving. It was -5c by the time we parked up.

Late Sunday afternoon I opened it up and was putting bits inside when I noticed there was condensation all over the ceiling. Assume it's condensation rather than a leak as it was small water droplets all over ceiling, not in one place. They'd then frozen.

Silly question, is this normal? If there's a problem I'd rather let the company who built it know asap.

Is there anything I can do to prevent it as I assume getting damp isn't going to be good for it.

Thank you.

I would use the same things we do with caravans http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-M...013001?hash=item2cb8254bc9:g:OYgAAOSw0JpV6xxR

kevd

Visit site
Do you have vent windows or a roof vent,
3.5T boxes tend to be rear facing so you probably only have side vent windows which will
restrict air flow which can cause condensation.

applecart14

Visit site
I used to get this when I first had my trailer (it was only about a year or two old). There was no rubber matting onn the floor and it was a wooden floor.

My horse at the time used to travel in the trailer. Because it was new to me (towing) Mum and Dad would come to shows with me and follow me there and back in their car. They said that Biggles bottom was dissapearing behind the tailgate. Dad took me out that Sunday to an Industrial Estate and I drove about 2 miles an hour whilst he got in the back of the trailer to see what the horse was doing.

When I went in there whilst he drove the horse went down and sat like a dog. Dad jumped into the jockey door and helped him up. We found out he was slipping due to the condensation from the roof falling onto the floor. When it was cold outside the droplets from the condensation would fall on the wooden floor and act as a skating ring.

Dad laid rubber matting down, brought the breat bar fowards and made the trailer partition 3/4 in favour of the horse and we never looked back. Sprinkle some rock salt on the rubber matting. I doubt it would perish it for many years.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This happens to mine in the winter even when it's just sat on the drive and not being used I tend to wipe the walls down with an old towel, and when I am outside I open the back and ramp to let some air in on dry days and I often move it so it sits in the sun for a bit, not much else you can do really they live outside and it's basically a tin box.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I believe you have insufficient insulation and would speak to the manufacturer with a view to getting it rectified.
As you say, damp will not do it any good.

Fragglerock

Visit site
I went to have a nosey at some new horseboxes a week or so ago and the one we looked at had condensation. I don't think they would add insulation because of weight issues.