Condition score my horse?

viceversa

Visit site
Hopefully my photos work .. sorry I know they aren't very good, just wanted some opinions!

Horse is currently very feral as he sustained injury in august, had 3 months box rest and is now turned out in a tiny paddock during the day. He's now doing some walk hacking but is obviously still very unfit and lost all muscle tone. He is 15 years old and 15hh.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
A heavier side of 4 imo :)

Depends what scale, if you are 1 to 5, then I disagree, the cob is not overweight, though photos are not the correct method to use.
If it is scale 1-10, then cob is not underweight.
He needs some work to get him back in to shape, and does not need to be slimmed down first, he will tone up and lose a few [maybe 15-25 kilos] along the way.

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
Depends what scale, if you are 1 to 5, then I disagree, the cob is not overweight, though photos are not the correct method to use.
If it is scale 1-10, then cob is not underweight.

I'm only going by the photos, and using 1-5. I think the cob is overweight, especially when compared to the in work and fit photos. But of course it's hard to judge by the forum, and it's just my opinion. If using the 1-10 then I'd say a 7. Maybe just a 4 on 1-5. Definitely not a 3 in my view.
But imo is overweight, but wouldn't be overly concerned atm as when back in work the weight will come off :)

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
He is obviously lacking in muscle especially on the shoulder and second thigh but topline is not bad, I think he looks fine, not over or under weight just ready to build up properly with increased work then the tummy should lift and he will look totally different, I wouldn't want any less weight on him as I think it would drop off his topline and he would look weak, if you clipped all the hair off he would appear considerably leaner.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
He is obviously lacking in muscle especially on the shoulder and second thigh but topline is not bad, I think he looks fine, not over or under weight just ready to build up properly with increased work then the tummy should lift and he will look totally different, I wouldn't want any less weight on him as I think it would drop off his topline and he would look weak, if you clipped all the hair off he would appear considerably leaner.
agree

benz

Visit site
On a scale of 1-5 i thought the first pic he looks a 2.5-3due to the weak neck and shoulder.

His bum is round but no gutter so for that pic would say a 3.5?

So hard to say from pics can you feel his ribs? If easily felt id say a 3 overall, if not 3.5.

Looks exactly how i would expect with the history you describe:)

Achinghips

Visit site
Looks great to me, especially coming out of winter, upping his work naturally in the summer and restricting that Spring grass a tad and he's perfect. Lovely versatile looking cob, very jealous!

ozpoz

Visit site
He looks fine to me, work will lift his belly and build up his topline. Cobs have thick coats and can easily look as if they are carrying more weight than they should be.

Gazen

Visit site
He is a beautiful boy. I think that he is a 3 -3.5 on a 5 point scale. He is out-of condition and unclipped which makes him look heavier than he actually is. If he is coming back into work he is in a good place to start. I would be concerned if he were any lighter as at this time of year the weight falls off the horses very easily especially as he is coming back into work.

JillA

Visit site
All those responses have demonstrated how unsatisfactory it is to try and do it from photographs - for one thing you need to palpate IMO, over ribs, crest, tailhead and any gutter

00587351_zpss9ddhmhz.gif

Goldenstar

Visit site
All those responses have demonstrated how unsatisfactory it is to try and do it from photographs - for one thing you need to palpate IMO, over ribs, crest, tailhead and any gutter

00587351_zpss9ddhmhz.gif

Of course you need to see a horse to score it properly its almost impossible to score horses carrying very little body fat from a picture .
When I did my body scoring training I was the only person to pass the racehorse as no cause for concern when they tested us everybody else flagged it up as concerning ( which was wrong ) however l don't think any of us were ever going to asked to score that years gold cup winner which was the horse in the picture used for the test

windand rain

Visit site
Bit too fat coming out of winter would have been happy to see him like that going into winter. I like to be able to count ribs with a sheet thickness over them at the end of winter. I like my labrador analogy for cobs ribs covered by a sheet thickness of fat lean able to put on a bit, ribs covered by a blanket thickness of fat perfect weight, ribs covered by a duvet thickness or more of fat too fat and needs to drop weight. Ribs undetectable a laminitis risk

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks for your responses :) I realise you can't do it properly through photos alone, I was purely doing it out of interest!
To me, he isn't overweight. He's definitely changed shape as he's gone from being quite fit and well muscled to losing lots of muscle and some top line, his barrel has dropped and become rounder, but his neck isn't at all hard or cresty and there is no gutter along back or rump. His bottom is rather round although I think all the hair makes this look more so! This is his first winter with me unclipped in 8 years and he's grown a hell of a coat!
Was unrugged on box rest now in a 100g.
He's having more or less ad lib hay and a balancer, I don't see a need to limit his hay as he is at the minute.
Regards going into / coming out of winter, I don't think this makes much difference at all to him tbh. They are stabled at night all year and his paddock grows barely any grass so he eats hay in the field all year. If anything I'd say he usually looks a bit fatter in winter due to less work!
Will be moving at end of Feb to a paddock so obviously keep an eye on weight as he will have some (not lush) grass there. Should hopefully reduce my hay bill :)