Conditions of Loaning out my horse..

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I know this sort of thing has been done to death. But i've never read any of it, as i've never thought of loaning out a horse before!!!

Anyway.. We're thinking of loaning out Socks (4yr old) to a friend of a friend for the winter to hunt.. Without going into too many details, i thought we ought to get this bloke to sign some bit of paper...

Something along the lines of.... (obviously wording would have to change)
1) Above horse (maybe include vet drawing of him??) is not his to sell or pass on.
2)Any injury/follow up treatment for horse sustained while in his care must also be payed for by him.

Also, we don't insure any of our horses.. but do you think we should get him to insure it for the time he has it??

Anything else i've left out???

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I would get him to insure it, the only way you can guarantee no fall out over vets bills.
I always put these ones:
The leasee reserves the right to visit the horse at any time.
The leasee reserves the right to terminate the contract without prior notice, due to extentuating circumstances.
The leasee asks for no passing of money for the lease of this horse, simply that a high level of care is continued by the leasor.
The leasor is asked to give 2 weeks (or whatever) notice if he wishes to terminate this contract, consideration will be given in extentuating circumstances.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Thanks guys.. just what i wanted!!
I doubt any money will change hands, as he's doing us a favour by putting miles on the clock of a young horse etc.. and we're doing him a favour by giving him a jolly nice horse to hunt for the season!

I just didn't want any vets fees thrown at me if he did something nasty out hunting!

He's coming to have a sit on him tomorrow.. will let you know how it goes
smile.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
We also have something in F's contract about the leasee has the right to authorise the destruction of the horse if deemed necessary by a vet. Grim, but necessary I think. Also list any equipment going with him. We also used the BHS template as a starting point.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Remember to list all tack and bits and that they must come back how they went out or replaced! I would say only put down if you canot be contacted first. Oh and you must agree to him being moved and have the address of were agreed he stays!

squirtlysmum

Visit site
We have loaned out my husbands horse and I drew up a loan agreement basically what I expected of the loaner, a brief history of said neddy, listed all items that went with him ie rugs and tack, stipulated not to be sold or otherwise loaned without prior approval and that the loaner had the final say where euthanasia is concerned so they havn't got to ring me and get my approval if the horse is suffering. I made two copies both signed by me and the loaner and one copy to each person.
Hope this helps

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you want I can send you a copy of the one I have - I drew up the agreement after reading through the BHS one, then customised it and had one of the lawyers at my office check it for me from a legal point of view.