Confessions Of A Multi-Horse Owner .......

Jaguar or Aston Martin?

• Total voters

Tia

Visit site
....do you remember a time when you only had a couple of horses?

I do, I fussed over them and any little minor nicks and dings they managed to get I cleaned up and applied some ointment. Any slight swelling or mark was looked over and assessed with a fine toothcomb. They were always groomed and hoof ointment placed on them morning and night. Feet were picked out twice a day, every day.

I don't know how many horses I have now but there are a fair few. They never get their feet picked out (mind you they are almost all barefoot and have fab feet) but are still seen by the farrier religiously every 6 weeks.

I do still groom most of them at least 3 or 4 times a week.
cool.gif

I allow minor lumps and bumps to take their natural course of healing rather than interfering with my lotions and potions.
crazy.gif

If any hoof chips then I don't bother to get my rasp to file it down - I know the farrier will be on the farm at some point within the next couple of weeks and he can do it.
blush.gif

I know they won't die from not coming in stables at night.

I do still rug most of them but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is to facilitate me being able to ride in all weather conditions, plus it keeps them all relatively clean. I think the fact that our winters go down to -40 also helps but then why do I not only put the rugs on when we have the days of -40? No I believe it is laziness on my part.
shocked.gif

I rarely clean my tack anymore - mind you one western saddle takes about 4 hours to clean properly. I was told by many a cowboy over here that it ruins the saddle when you clean it........that sounds good enough for me these days!!
grin.gif

Just interested in hearing about more confessions - so here's a little poll to help you along.

Visit site
ERM.....................I have 1 horse and treat him like you treat yours
blush.gif
He's very happy and manages to get placed at Unaff open level. he is shod but only ridden 3 times a week and stabled 2 days before a comp. He loves it outside
grin.gif

Enfys

Visit site
I'm all for letting a horse be a horse as much as his work and etc allows. Saying that for the last 8 years I've been forced by yard rules to stable my horses at night from November until May and it has driven me mad
mad.gif

It all depends on personal preference and the individual horse I guess.

JadeWisc

Visit site
Im gald you posted this Tia! It made me giggle. It is very true....and I only have 3! lol
When I only had Chester at a stable he was treated like a king. The vet was out every time he had a scrape ,and I bought every ointment and snarl cream known to man. having 3 at home now has knocked it back to reality. They are very well cared for, but a bit more realistically I think for my schedule...he he
p.s. sometimes horses like to be horses, and for sure like to be a little dirty. Alot of the fussing is more for us than for them as far as they are concerned I think.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have one, he lives out 24/7, isnt rugged (he's native), and has chipped hooves. He's covered in bite marks, but he's fine. Most importantly, he's healthy and happy, he loves life. I've seen horses treated like china and IMO it doesnt do them any good.

sojeph

Visit site
Very similar to you Tiaribbon! I have 5 and it was quite different when I just had the one, no kids, OH or house!! Mine don't even get rugged in winter(out 24/7).Any minor scrapes are left to heal au naturel, chips in their hooves left till the farrier arrives unless theres risk of a split. The farrier picks my horses feet out - I rarely bother in between. Mine get a flick over with a brush when I ride (rarely these days) otherwise nothing. They didn't even get fed last year due to excellent grazing - just a bit of hay here and there - and they all came through winter roly poly. They really are low maintenance!! Oh - and they are a happy healthy bunch - honest
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh tia you are very right!
I fuss over Oshk because he is my only working horse stabled at mine.
But I have 6 at Bekkas and I have worked into routine.
I dont fuss like I do Oshka.
They get kisses and such, but I never have time to spend ages observing them.
I lead ride every day, I suppose that way I can get quite a while looking at the one im leading
grin.gif

I brush them off VERY quickly and swish through tails.
Really I race to see how many I can exercise per day and how many hours it takes me.
Some days when Bex has time to spare I have time to spend a little time, but I never gush over any of the horses I ride/own.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I definately think you get less fussy the more you have haha. but I have never really been one to over pamper my horses, very basic amount of tack,grooming kit and rugs and give them individual time but not letting them rule my life completely. always tried to let a horse be a horse and only call the vet if absolutely needed.
good poll
regards
Dawn

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It made me giggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has made me giggle is remembering even more things I do, or rather don't do anymore!!
shocked.gif

Tia

Visit site
Phew!! I am so glad I am not alone LOL!!

Don't get me wrong I do look after my guys, as you all do too, I just don't fuss the same way I did before. However the amount of time we can spend with just 1 or 2 horses is quite different from the amount of time we can spend with many more. I have 20-odd horses here and I do give them all their "special" time every day but I am so used to seeing little scrapes and nicks that it really doesn't bother me too much any more.

I do however still know when things are serious and when to call the vet, same as all of you. No-one here is neglected but they also aren't fussed over constantly and I truly believe that even if I did only have 1 or 2 that I would continue to treat them in the same fashion as I do nowadays.

sojeph

Visit site
Oh yeah, me too. I couldn't imagine worrying over evry little knick and scratch like I used to. And yes, mine are all loved and well cared for too and I feel they're really contented.

vicky555

Visit site
Memories of grooming for hours at a time..are just that memories LOL. With 5 of the little sweeties and work and life, its not easy to give them 100% all the time. I have to admit though I still fuss over them <smile>

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Memories of grooming for hours at a time..are just that memories LOL

[/ QUOTE ] PMSL!! Excellent phrase!!
grin.gif

Welcome to the forum by the way - hope you have a great time here.......I barely use this place myself
blush.gif

......Oops sorry I think that was a little fib!
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They get kisses and such

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah mine too - they insist on their kisses LOL!!

PS. I like your new username BTW.
cool.gif

clipclop

Visit site
When I had 7 horses, I swear they were kept more like cattle than horses.

I used to hollar to them, they would all charge down the field, through the yard and dart in to their stables where the feed was waiting, SLAM, SLAM, SLAM, doors shutting behind them and then I would go around throwing rugs off and on.

I knew they were fine as they had galloped down the field and trotted across the yard so I could spot lameness at this point and if they stuffed their tea, there really wasn't much wrong with them!!

I can't say I was happy with the situation but I was working 10 hour days and then doing all those horses and at some point I had to at least try and ride a couple of them
grin.gif

Now I only have two to look after, that's plenty enough for me now.
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

Cheers
C x
smile.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Welcome to the world of the multi horse person!
The simple truth is for a start you would do nothing else all day if you gave them the care you formerly did the couple you had before.
They do not need their feet picking out daily unless they are shod, their feet invariably are in the best condition ever after 6 months.
Our retired ones never ever get groomed, yet have the shiniest coats imaginable.
Minor cuts do heal themselves the most you often have to do is a puff of powder or cream. (they do however need antibiotics if the swelling doesn't go down within a day or two at most)
The worst problem is often manes and tails, I have to confess to carrying a stanley knife and hacking off lengths every now and again.
The biggest problem in reality keeping a herd is feeding. Unless you have the feeding areas set up so the bottom of the pecking order can get ad lib food too they will lose weight. It took us several winters to learn how to do this, and we also feed outside as well as undercover, those that aren't allowed in the barn all the time have to wear rugs.
They do actually thrive much better without any rugs as their coats fluff up, but like you, I tend to feel better myself if I know they have something between them and the rain!
You do realise one horse owners will think we're completely mad, uncaring and idle don't you?
Funny then that when my vet visited yesterday he wandered round the main herd and said he had never seen such healthy happy horses, and he thought it was lovely they lived the sort of life they do..!
wink.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
My Shetland has self cleaning fur. He's a fuzz-ball at the best of times, and when it rains he rolls in black mud. Two days later his coat's white as white, and I haven't been near him with a brush. How does this happen? God only knows!
Anyway.... he despises being groomed!

I gave up the pick out feet, groom twice a day scenario years ago when realised my neddies were happier living out pretty much permanently with rugs chucked on when necessary!

SueAllen

Visit site
No, I am a one horse owner and think that the way you have and do things makes the most perfect sense. Occasionally I am guilty of 'fussing' mine - like the night when it was wet and windy and he came RUNNING over to the gate when I went out to do a pre bed time check. I took him in that night because he was shivering and I wasn't hard hearted enough to leave him. But I do think that at the end of the day they are tough old beasties and having a load of them out together, leaving them to deal with things as naturally as possible but keeping an eye out for any problems is as good a way to keep them as there can be.

bandit

Visit site
hey - sounds like a fab set up to me, with a lot of very happy horses.

i have two at the mo, only as i've bought one before the old boy is sold, and he's happily living out 24/7. i've never been one to fuss over cuts or nicks like some people - just keep an eye incase they don't head naturally... don't own or haven't heard of 1/2 the creams some people on my yard seem to have!!!!

my new girl is a TB so out in the day and in at night for this winter, until i get to know her more and then next year she may be out for longer 24/7....

i tend to think that we keep our horses in a way that assists us for what we've got htem for, and if htat means that they are stabled / rugged as it enables us to ride them in winter time (have htem clipped etc) then so be it.

I don't groom very often and do leave tack quite a long time before cleaning it - usually a show prompts me to get it cleaned but not in between. Like the cowboys comments though!!

have to say if i had a herd though, i too would leave them more au natral!!!

B

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think mine dont get as much individual time as if I only had one, but that inevitable! I used to have a shetland companion who used to be ridden and lunged etc. when it was just her and my first pony but soon she started getting ignored so I finally made the decision to sell her to a lovely home where she would be appreciated again.

I try to give all mine equal attention and time. But I do think the ones I ride get far more attention than my retired boy for instance, which I do feel guilty about!

Sometimes I do wish I only had one or two horses so I could give them so much attention, but then I doubt that'll ever happen as I seem to collect them!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I do tend to fuss over mine when i have the time but it doesn't give me sleepless nights if i haven't groomed or picked feet out that night (which is rarley during the week
blush.gif
)

As for scraps and cuts i generally tend to leave them unless they are quite bad and i feel it may need hosing. Apart from that though they dont have any lotions or potions put on them.

I hardly ever clean my tack
blush.gif
and i ride more or less everyday!!

My horses are left unrugged as long as poss as i dont want them turning into panzies (both are TB's so do need rugging though) and they are in at night coz of the yard rules but if the YO is not about then they are out unless its the middle of winter or chucking it down.

So even though i only have 2 and i do fuss over them i also try not to wrap them in cotton wool.

Fairynuff

Visit site
I can go to bed without feeling the odd one out
grin.gif
.Mine are tickled with a brush when I have the time and feet picked out once a day. Grazes and scrapes I leave to mother nature but all important things are done. I used to groom for big time riders and spent hours and bloody hours grooming, trimming etc and most of the horses were pee d off with all the fussing. Do whats nec for good health and hygene then leave them to get on with being horses I say. Mairi and her hairy band.
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I have one horse at present, I enjoy spending time with him. I pick his feet out mornings when putting him out & at night when bringing him in. He gets groomed which is an ideal time to check for any injury. He's rugged if necessary & I keep an eye on any nicks or cuts & treat as needed. He is riden daily & as for tack, saddles etc, they are expensive & need looking after so it gets cleaned regularly. I cannot afford to replace them. Dirty tack becomes dry & brittle & worn faulty parts go unnoticed. Filthy bits cannot be pleasant for the horse either.
I look after my horse & his tack. I cannot understand why some people are so proud of their dirty tack & pour scorn on people who spend time looking after their animals & tack well.

teapot

Visit site
I think bar 2 horses, every horse at my yard is out 24/7 365 days a year. Doesn't do them any harm and many seem to thrive on it

Tia

Visit site
Sorry but I didn't see anyone "pouring scorn on anyone"
crazy.gif

Perhaps I should clarify:

I have 20-odd horses
Each horse is checked numerous times every day
Each horse is cuddled and played with every day
Each horse is scanned every day - I know EVERY single nick or cut on EVERY horse
Tack is checked every single time it is used
Farrier comes every 6 weeks

I have:
10 western saddles all in excellent condition and all made by master saddlers
3 English saddles - 1 custom made Stubben and the other two are handmade and are again in excellent condition
30 bridles - all in excellent condition and handmade by master saddler
75 rugs, all either Rambo or Fal's and all in great condition

If your one horse looks anywhere NEAR as good as all of mine then well done you.
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You do realise one horse owners will think we're completely mad, uncaring and idle don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

HH - you were blooming right ......... again!!! I met one tonight!
crazy.gif