Confidence Crisis - Self Help/Hypnosis?

lisab

Visit site
I've just been reading a thread that mentioned self-hypnosis. I have a 1.10 phobia and it is such a pain. I have a lovely horse, I am not a rubbish rider and I have lessons with a very good trainer every week. We've had some bad times - long story, sorry - here goes:-

Great start- from BN to NC in 6 months, getting placed in NC and happily popping around 1m20. Then horse gets a lung infection and has a long time off. When he's better, I tried to pick up where I'd left off but my stride eye had deserted me. I was too stubborn to go back unaff for a bit (how I regret it) and tried to carry on. Much crashing and burning ensued. My brave, honest horse started to stop. 1 broken ankle followed 6 months later by 1 broken wrist left my confidence in tatters.

We've come a long way and are now happily jumping round 1.05. But I want to do the 1m Amateur classes and the jump off is 1.10. It just freaks me out and I freeze. I have finally managed to stop throwing myself up his ears and dropping the bridle - which is guaranteed to make him stop and dump me on the floor - but I get so tense, he picks up on it and we actually haven't got to do the 2nd phase of the 1m yet because I'm so scared of the 1.10 bit that we have 1 or 2 down in the first phase.

I actually thought about giving up yesterday, but only for a second and it would be such a shame because I know we can do it. I have photographic evidence that we can! I look at the Newcomers now and cannot believe that I ever dared to enter it, let alone be placed 2nd. It seems like another life.

Any ideas please?

Kelpie

Visit site
My OH is a counsellor plus has also trained in hypnosis. He seems to get good results helping people with this, though he always says it is something you should do in conjunction with having a good trainer (no point getting something realy spot on in your mind if the reality with your horse is too far away from that.....).

Find a good horsey counsellor/ hypnotherapist, or even NLP or sports therapist person round your way and give it a go! - has to be worth a go, it seems....

little_flea

Visit site
I think that was me... I had a bit of a confidence crisis a while back and felt I just wasn't riding in a positive way. I bought this http://www.confident-rider.co.uk/jumping_with_confidence_hypnosis_cd.html

I don't know if it actually worked, but I think it really did... or maybe just the belief that it did, was enough! I think the MP3 version was only around £10, so well worth a try, IMO.

Hypnotherapy can be extremely effective, my ex boyfriend used it to give up smoking and it actually made him stop immediately.

lisab

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll give the hypnosis CD a go. It's cheap so if it doesn't work, it's not the end of the world. And if it does - fantastic. Actually, just putting it down in writing has helped. I think I've tizzed myself out now and I just need to get a grip! I've just been out for an hour and a half hack with my friend and she said I just need to calm down and stop being so impatient. I will go and do the 90cm (2 phase) on Saturday and then the 1m (A7) and if I don't like the jump off, I won't do it. No pressure. Thanks again. :)