Confidence

Cob Life

Visit site
I have struggled with confidence a lot since I had a few bad falls 2016-2017.

Since getting a share in 2019 I had gotten much better but I took a small tumble a month ago now and for the first 2 or 3 rides after I was fine, however the last few weeks I’ve been a lot more nervous than I have been. Some days I get on and immediately want to get off, even with my instructors safe as houses horse, I don’t get off and ride through it and by the end i feel much better.

My instructor is fantastic, she never pushes me to do anything that I’m 1. Not comfortable with or 2. Not capable of.

share horse has been a little sharper and needing working at least 5 days a week without having more than one day off at a time to keep him sane though this isn’t entirely unusual.

I generally have a good seat and balance and even if I'm riding something and it does something stupid rarely do I feel like “I nearly came off there“

nit really sure what the point of this was tbh!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Your definitely not alone in this!! I've had horses for nearly 40 years and have taken some nasty tumbles. When I was younger it didn't bother me in the slightest but now.....!! My need for self preservation is very strong!! Your trainer sounds fantastic and at the end of the day your out there riding!! Really can't offer any advice as we all have our personal comfort zones but as long as your enjoying your riding ( mostly!) then keep plugging away. Well done for getting back on and carrying on x

ponynutz

Visit site
Agree with the above that if you are riding, you are riding and that means you are conquering that fear every day. That is enough and you should be proud of yourself. Explain these thoughts to your trainer and she might be able to offer advice based on the experiences of others.

In the mean time here's some things I found on the internet:
1) Ride a couple of schoolmasters (whether this be lesson horses or someone else's schoolmaster)
2) Move a little out of your comfort zone every time you feel ready and reward yourself for doing so!
3) Take your time. Practice breathing exercises that can help calm you down when you begin to feel panicky and don't be afraid to move back into your comfort zone (even if this is a halt with someone holding the horse) whenever you need to. But don't get off, stay on board until the moment is over
4) Practice visualising what you want to happen rather than what could happen
5) Wear extra protection like a body protector
6) Keep a journal. Slow progress means you often don't notice how far you've come, so this will be a way to remind yourself how well you're doing.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Sing! I had a real confidence issue after my mare started rearing and smacked me in the face. My trainer sorted the behaviour out and also told me to sing if I got worried when riding. It really does work - maybe because it stops the rider transmitting tension to the horse when it starts getting a bit hairy! I used to sing old English folk songs, as I can’t sing ?

Good luck, hopefully your confidence will increase over time.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It's a tough one to get to grips with, and I hope you can sort it out. Would it help to run through what you think may happen and compare it to what does actually happen? As in 'Oh no! Huge green tractor and trailer coming, he is going to throw shapes/run off!'
What actually happens? Does your prediction come true, or does your horse listen to you and grit his teeth and deal with it?
Learning to know and trust your horse is a big part of confidence - do you spend time on the ground grooming and picking feet out and getting to know him? All best wishes - I hope things get better.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Look up Karl Greenwood on Facebook he runs confidence courses and you can sign up with him and he sends out some brilliant emails and offers lots of things to help you.

I did a rider confidence course at his yard a few years ago after my horse fell on me and broke my ankle pretty bad, I would really recommend them it was the best thing I did.

I still have wobbles but I'm much better than I was I think you sometimes have to realise that you need to take a step back and set yourself much smaller goals.

I literally started getting on for 10 minutes and just walking to begin with and just built it up very slowly.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I ride with hunting breastplate, R-stor and hack in back protector. Helps limit the what ifs and provide back up.

eahotson

Visit site
Agree with the above that if you are riding, you are riding and that means you are conquering that fear every day. That is enough and you should be proud of yourself. Explain these thoughts to your trainer and she might be able to offer advice based on the experiences of others.

1) Ride a couple of schoolmasters (whether this be lesson horses or someone else's schoolmaster)
2) Move a little out of your comfort zone every time you feel ready and reward yourself for doing so!
3) Take your time. Practice breathing exercises that can help calm you down when you begin to feel panicky and don't be afraid to move back into your comfort zone (even if this is a halt with someone holding the horse) whenever you need to. But don't get off, stay on board until the moment is over
6) Keep a journal. Slow progress means you often don't notice how far you've come, so this will be a way to remind yourself how well you're doing.
Some good advice there.

eahotson

Visit site
I also think that sometimes its not a good day for you for whatever reason and you should either not ride or keep it very short and sweet.The right horse is, of course, essential.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I think as we get older confidence blips are pretty normal, ups and downs for many people, especially if you are office / home based and only riding one horse.

Cob Life

Visit site

I’ve ridden 3 of my instructors schoolmasters and still regularly ride one of them, my instructor is very good at pushing me just far enough out of my comfort zone to benefit me without overwhelming me.

Learning to know and trust your horse is a big part of confidence - do you spend time on the ground grooming and picking feet out and getting to know him? All best wishes - I hope things get better.

I spend a lot of time together on the ground with both of the horses that I ride alone, my instructors horse not so much. But the cob and the mare I ride I spend a lot of time grooming, hand walking, little bits of liberty and other ground work.

I also think that sometimes its not a good day for you for whatever reason and you should either not ride or keep it very short and sweet.The right horse is, of course, essential.
I do this, if I’m not feeling it I’ll do a groundwork session (or if he’s really energetic some free jumping) then get on and do 5 minutes of riding, sometimes it’s just a plod around bareback to cool him off

I think as we get older confidence blips are pretty normal, ups and downs for many people, especially if you are office / home based and only riding one horse.

I’m lucky enough to ride usually three horses a week (sometimes it’s 3 a day!) and the more I’m riding definitely the more confident I am