conformation and condition

madgirl

Visit site
Ok this is my boy is hunting fit and is hunting reguarly he does find it hard to keep weight on in the winter. How does he look i know he is looking a little underweight and needs some topline also his conformation? I have no idea about this sort of thing all i know is that majors is pretty bad lol. I don;t car what you say about himas it has little afeect on what he is like he is hardy ever lame and does his job.

Videos to come

freeschooling001.jpg

freeschooling002.jpg

freeschooling010.jpg

freeschooling017.jpg

freeschooling018.jpg

freeschooling019.jpg

freeschooling021.jpg

freeschooling025.jpg

freeschooling027.jpg

comments apreciated
grin.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
He is lovely!

The only things I could possible pick out would be like you said a bit more topline and it looks like you can see his spine a bit at the back.

A very handsome boy!

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He is lovely!

The only things I could possible pick out would be like you said a bit more topline and it looks like you can see his spine a bit at the back.

A very handsome boy!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks! as i said above we ae working on topline!
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To me he looks really well, how often is he ridden and how hard? Never realised he had such a head before, whats his breeding?

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks hun! He is ridden daily with maybe one day off, he is ridden quite hard and goes for a good gallop once a week with a juming session and schooling aswell as lots of trooting fitteing work. Yup has a huge head lol no idea on his breeding!
grin.gif
new YO has got him in a lot better condition than last year if i had ics he would look 1o times better now. She just refused to clip him for hunting so he would sweat more and loose more weight

Blizzard

Visit site
LOL its easier said than done isnt it I know!
I think he is very well put together, my horse looks pants in winter, and if yours looks that good now well, you cant ask for more!
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
yup much harder lol not something that will hapen over night!
As boss saif he is a bit upside down and has a U neck! Even in the summer he doesnt put lots of weight on

Tia

Visit site
I like this horse of yours. You've already seen the slight imperfections, but they don't bother you nor him and it sounds like you both have an absolute blast together!

I actually think he looks blooming good for a hunting-fit horse.
cool.gif

Out of interest; how old is he?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
If being really picky he has an 'old fashioned' head and is a bit upright in his shoulder but he looks like a nice sort. Neither are major faults, as for the topline, I would prefer to see a 1000 like yours than 1 of those showing fattys. I think too many folk worry about the look of the horse rather than its well being. How often do you see natural skinny people who are perfectly healthy? Damn those skinny peeps! Less weight = Less stress on joints and muscles!

Cobnut1

Visit site
Madgirl.... he is lovely, but i would say he is a bit underweight (as you've already said) but would need more muscle on as well as top line...he looks quite long in the back, but this could be because of the lack of muscle. How old is he? looks (to me) quite old.... very handsome though!!!

personally, i would cut back his hard work in the winter if he can't keep the weight on, but do muscle toning to keep him in shape.. what do you feed him?

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I like this horse of yours. You've already seen the slight imperfections, but they don't bother you nor him and it sounds like you both have an absolute blast together!

I actually think he looks blooming good for a hunting-fit horse.
cool.gif

Out of interest; how old is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks he went hunting today and will again on saturday he will drop weight obviously but we will try and get it back on him. He is 9 ish
grin.gif
some say he looks older though some younger
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If being really picky he has an 'old fashioned' head and is a bit upright in his shoulder but he looks like a nice sort. Neither are major faults, as for the topline, I would prefer to see a 1000 like yours than 1 of those showing fattys. I think too many folk worry about the look of the horse rather than its well being. How often do you see natural skinny people who are perfectly healthy? Damn those skinny peeps! Less weight = Less stress on joints and muscles!

[/ QUOTE ] Haha bhis head is a real old hunter type lol huge!!!!
lolhe never seems to get fat TBH!

I have to see the irony there when you say neither are major faults as his name is major lol
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hes a very nice horse, perhaps a little croup high but looks lovely for hunting, like my blossy except a different colour
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to be said to be like bloss is a compliment
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Madgirl.... he is lovely, but i would say he is a bit underweight (as you've already said) but would need more muscle on as well as top line...he looks quite long in the back, but this could be because of the lack of muscle. How old is he? looks (to me) quite old.... very handsome though!!!

personally, i would cut back his hard work in the winter if he can't keep the weight on, but do muscle toning to keep him in shape.. what do you feed him?

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually isnt that old .....9
crazy.gif

I know he is underweight but he is getting better. To cut back his winter work would mean no hunting and that is his main use.

We feed him 1 scoop alfa A
1 scoop sugar beet
1 scoop conditioning mix
X2

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horses struggling to hold condition in winter is not something common only to this horse!If every horse like this where to have their work cut back do you honestly think this would make a huge difference?

Madgirl,I really don't think your boy looks malnourished or particularly poor....or old for that matter
crazy.gif
He's hunting fit,and yes, he may require a little more topline but please don't start to convince yourself that you're doing anything wrong with him.

Not read through the whole thread so I don't know what he's being fed,but boiled barley and linseed are excellent for helping horses to put on and then maintian condition.The topline will come with working in a correct outline consistently.....no foodstuff can do that for you!

Good luck with him,he looks a real fabby little chap
smile.gif

Bethxx

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horses struggling to hold condition in winter is not something common only to this horse!If every horse like this where to have their work cut back do you honestly think this would make a huge difference?

Madgirl,I really don't think your boy looks malnourished or particularly poor....or old for that matter
crazy.gif
He's hunting fit,and yes, he may require a little more topline but please don't start to convince yourself that you're doing anything wrong with him.

Not read through the whole thread so I don't know what he's being fed,but boiled barley and linseed are excellent for helping horses to put on and then maintian condition.The topline will come with working in a correct outline consistently.....no foodstuff can do that for you!

Good luck with him,he looks a real fabby little chap
smile.gif

Bethxx

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much boiled barley is what he used to have debbie suggested it the other day to me!

I know a lot of hunters who are slighty underweight but to cut down their work and not hunt them would defeat their purpose. For istance i think rosiie said oshka finds it hard to keep his weight on (i think) but he is made for hunting !

I hope he doesnt look too old
crazy.gif
and topline is being worked on a lot!
grin.gif

Cobnut1

Visit site
Was going to say that boiled barley added to his feed would help with weight gaining.... but have been beaten to it...also grass nuts would also help too, and perhaps some oil?.. my apologies for thinking he was older...didn't mean ancient though!! I ride a 30yr old, who doesn't look it (or act it!) and his main problem is losing weight, at any time of the year, lol!!!!!

also have you had his teeth checked recently? as if he can't chew properly then he won't be getting the full benefit of his dinner!

madgirl

Visit site
ok dont worry lol!

YO think it could be his teeth also! They are being checked asap think in the next week of so. Teeth would also explain his head tossing.