Conformation conundrums

SpringArising

Visit site
@oldie48 your comparison photo is a great example of how the foot can alter virtually the whole leg. Look how straight through the knee she is in the first pic and how upright her pasterns are vs. the second photo.

She looked a little post legged too. It's also interesting to see just how much you can alter the look of a horse by having them stand correctly. It's easy to create a horse who looks camped out (look at any M&M showing photos) or in if not presented properly.

oldie48

Visit site
@oldie48 your comparison photo is a great example of how the foot can alter virtually the whole leg. Look how straight through the knee she is in the first pic and how upright her pasterns are vs. the second photo.

She looked a little post legged too. It's also interesting to see just how much you can alter the look of a horse by having them stand correctly. It's easy to create a horse who looks camped out (look at any M&M showing photos) or in if not presented properly.
What you can't see is that she is quite close behind in the first pic but with much more muscle on the HQs this has improved hugely. My OH stood by her the other day and said that she seems to have grown and in a way she has, she looks and rides like a much bigger horse than the one I bought and doesn't seem quite so long backed (but that may be wishful thinking!).

Annagain

Visit site
My two. Not photos taken with viewing conformation in mind but as good as I've got sorry. I'm far from an expert but have been told that Archie's (first photo) conformation is better than Monty's. Monty has been far sounder than Archie over the years and is still going great guns at 23 while Arch at the same age is considering retirement, we're going to make a decision in the next month if he gets over this latest bout of lameness. It just goes to show conformation isn't everything. What you can't see from this photo is how pigeon toed Archie is, which I'm sure has played a big part in his lameness. I know a lot more about conformation now than I did 14 years ago when I bought him and won't make the same mistake again.

ZKtOcbg.jpg

Roi06G1.jpg

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Here's one of mine as I'm also rubbish at conformation, I did a thread recently for analysis on him where a few people kindly commented but will add to here also

**wont add breed/age/work type as will be interested to see what those who dont know gauge from the photos**

**had to add across 2 posts**

Screenshot_20190419-152608_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190419-152608_Gallery.jpg

Summit

Visit site
I don’t mind comments on my boy. He’s 20 and not a lot of muscle tone but he was a field ornament for a long time before I got him. Ex racer 14 years ago.

IMG_9274.jpg

Orangehorse

Visit site
Oldie, I agree about the horse above - the black horse - , looks a nice type and nothing stands out as not right, in fact quite a lot is very good.

I think Robert Oliver wrote a book on conformation, also there is one of those £4.95 small books.

When I look at photos in Horse & Hounds of show winners I think that many look back at the knee! But sometimes your eyes can play tricks and some judges would put way of going and ride above some not quite right conformation. Even one year looking at the competitiors in the collecting ring for Horse of the Year hunter, not all were perfect by a long way.

My horse is slightly back at the knee which is why I never did much jumping with him, however Vere Philips did something at YOur HOrse Live about choosing an eventer, and noted that one was slightly back at the knee, but it jumped well and he said he would take a chance on it. In the days when you could look round the stables at Badminton at the competitors I was amazed at some of the bizarre conformation on show, but those horses had got to the top, but that was a good long time ago and probably quality has improved. You also see really terrible conformation in racehorses, but so long as they sound for racing ......... No one is asking what they will be doing when they are 20.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I hope the person who wrote this doesn't mind me copying and pasting, and including their 'good' example
d. Open stance is the only correct way to judge a side view. For front and hind views, the legs in question must be square to each other.

This is a near perfect example of open position. The legs closest to the camera have vertical cannons, with the opposite legs staggered to the inside with light to the knees and hocks. Even though his head is turned a bit more than ideal, you can see that the front line of his face is parallel to his shoulder.
This all puts his musculature in an alert, yet relaxed state, so everything "falls naturally."
To be a perfect shot, you'd be able to see his hooves and throatlatch.

Standing square or stretched puts the muscles into tension, and alters the appearance of the relationship between body parts.
37963604_10156293589435520_1222943017858498560_n.jpg

Or alternatively
1. On flat ground, like pavement.
2. In a well-lit area.
3. Standing as still as possible.
4. Head up, top side of neck even with at least the withers or higher.
5. Front near cannon bone (the one closest to the camera) as close to perpendicular from the ground as possible.
6. Rear near hock (the one closest to the camera) should be as close to a vertical straight line with the point of buttock as possible.
If you want to get front and rear shots, see the photo.
15940990_1393791647326828_4093993801043078850_n.jpg

only_me

Visit site
14_zpsa72c883c.jpg

Here’s Billy, 17h ISH, a bit overweight and lacking top line in this photo from a while ago.
His main faults are a bit upright in his shoulder and through into his front Pasterns. But has a good shoulder as I like a horse in front of me! Good length of neck and a nice eye. High withers (so no bareback riding - tried that once, never again 😂) Has a nice short back into a decent back end. Hocks nice and low with muscled thigh, but maybe a bit straight behind for some. 4 good feet. Flat knees, good amount of bone (8”) and I know can’t see from photo but has a good chest and moves straight with plenty of room between. Room between chest and elbow.

Now this is what I see when I look at him - others may disagree or see other faults!
But the main thing is he does his job very nicely - he’s perfect for what I want. For someone who wants a horse to happy hack/baby jump then temperament is much more important than conformation!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I learned what not to buy with my last horse. Her feet were too small (typical quarter horse flaw), she was upright through the shoulder, her pasterns were too short and upright, she was too straight through the hocks, and had a very flat croup. No pictures of her, because 1990s. Digital photography wasn't a thing, although my parents have photos in their house in the States. That horse had arthritic changes in her hocks by the time she was ten, and she found dressage difficult.

Current horse, the dark bay above, has great legs and feet. Low set knees and cannons, short cannons, pasterns at the correct angle that aren't too long or too short, a round croup, good bone (being half Shire helps), solid, round feet appropriate for her size, flat knees, and angles on her shoulder that let her reach with the front leg, and angles on her hindlegs that let her bring her hocks under her body. If I could change any aspect of her, I would shorten her back a touch and set her neck higher on her body, but you can't have everything!

Summit

Visit site
but the main thing is he does his job very nicely - he’s perfect for what I want. For someone who wants a horse to happy hack/baby jump then temperament is much more important than conformation!

Same for me....mine’s probably riddled with faults :D but he’s just right for me

Bernster

Visit site
I think we are learning how not to take confo photos :p

Haha that’s what I was thinking. I’ve not tried to take a formal confo picture but the pics I have are pretty rubbish. There was a series in h and h mag commenting on the confo of well known horses which was really interesting.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Haha that’s what I was thinking. I’ve not tried to take a formal confo picture but the pics I have are pretty rubbish. There was a series in h and h mag commenting on the confo of well known horses which was really interesting.

It really isn't something you can do well on your own though only_me has done a pretty good job! :D

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Just caught up on this, thanks to all of the posters..!!!
I can look at some photos and certain bits of certain horses stand out as looking a bit odd but I never seem to be able to put my finger on it.
AA in the pic of adult Ted he has his front legs very under and back which looks strange to me...I'm not sure if it's just the way he is stood..???
The pic with the angles marked out is great, makes sense....I've also ordered the book suggested :)

Denbob

Visit site
I don't mind submitting D for analysis 🙈 conformation was not a consideration when I bought him, but looking now I know he's pigeon toed and slightly cow-hocked. I'm sure there are other things to pick out and bearing in mind the guides posted above its not a great picture but would be interested to know what people think!

2019-05-24 09.05.56.jpg