Conformation explanation

Jayzee

Visit site
Prompted by another thread.
Can anyone explain hind limb conformation and the link to PSD and other hind limb issues. Having had a horse with PSD would love to be more educated when looking for another horse.
Thanks evening musings

RHM

Visit site
My pony had PSD and the vet believes that his conformation played a part in it. He has typical straight pony back legs. If I knew how to post a photo on here I would for you! The studies show that they do appear to be directly correlated but quite frankly not many vets or researchers have yet to say the why this is the case. I imagine it’s to do with the loading pressures on the back legs and the larger the angles the larger the amount of pressure.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If the hock joint us too straight and it doesnt flex enough when a horse moves, then the tendons and ligaments have to stretch more, and that pulls on the top part of the suspensory ligament, sometimes resulting in Proximal (closer to the horses body) Suspensory Desmitis, PSD

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
There isn't one simple answer. No one conformation fault - or perfection - will gautentee that a horse does not suffer ligamentous injury. Yes some confirmation types, straight hocks specifically, are more prone - but perfect conformation does not ensure against injury. Nor do straight hocks mean PSD is inevitable. Its more nuanced than that. Yes a straighter hock joint increases risk. So does repeated use of soft surfaces, poor foot balance, overjumping too young and monotonous training.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I was given a copy of Hickman's Farriery, which has a pretty detailed section on confirmation. Not sure that it has anything specifically on PSD, but plenty of useful advice for judging the straightness/conformation of the limbs. It's also a fascinating read for the history of shoeing. :)