Conformation faults in horses.

TicTac

Visit site
What would you consider an absolute no no when buying a horse? I know that everybody would like a horse that is perfectly put together, wouldn't we all. But do we turn down horses for faults that dont really cause a problem.

I'm talking about your average horse for the everyday rider that likes to do a bit of everything.
So as an example, some people wont buy a horse with a ewe neck, or wonky legs or sickle hocks etc. But surely these horses have a useful and sound life to somebody.

Have any of you got horses with less than perfect conformation and if so, what do you do with them and has the horse ever had a problem because of it?

I am currently looking for another horse and I've set me heart on a beautiful chap who's front legs aren't perfectly straight. ( I would have him vetted) 2 of my previous horses had pretty good conformation but still went wrong anyway!

I know the old saying, " Handsome is as handsome does " which is quite true and buying a horse is always a risk it's just that I dont seem to have much luck, but have to say that probably my best horses have had some less than perfect parts to them!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would consider a horse that was over at the knee, but I would not buy one that was back at the knee. I wouldn't consider a horse with a sway back either.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
My last pony had one knee higher than the other, though his legs were the same length overall. He was croup high, long backed and had a long neck too. None of it caused him a problem. He was great!

LollyDolly

Visit site
I wouldn't buy a horse with a ewe neck, mainly because they are just so ugly!
I also wouldn't consider buying a horse which is downhill because they are incredibly heavy in the hand when riding. All of the weight is on the forehand so not only are they uncomfortable to ride they are almost impossible to get any decent schooling out of because they cannot collect themselves up or 'sit back' on their hocks, which means that they are practically incapeable of doing decent transitions, or jump for that matter!!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Boxy/upright feet . . . in fact upright conformation in general. This is my boy. This is likely at least partially to blame for his current lameness and I have been expecting a navicular diagnosis at some point since I got wise and learned about conformation. Having said that, I've had quite alot of knowledgeable people say they really like him . . . so it can't be that bad.

I wouldn't touch a horse with sweet-itch, sarcoids, a swayback, an overly long back (in proportion to the rest of the horse), over at the knee, or pigeon toes.

P

P.S. And, yes, I realize that neither sweet-itch or sarcoids are conformational faults

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I also wouldn't consider buying a horse which is downhill because they are incredibly heavy in the hand when riding

I have to disagree with this. Sorry.

I used to compete (Dressage) with a lovely, downhill ex-racer and he was light in the hand and he moved 'uphill'.

TB are nearly always downhill (don't let the huge withers decieve you - look at the spine) as it is actually an advantage for galloping fast to be slightly downhill.

TicTac

Visit site
Boxy/upright feet . . . in fact upright conformation in general. This is my boy. This is likely at least partially to blame for his current lameness and I have been expecting a navicular diagnosis at some point since I got wise and learned about conformation. Having said that, I've had quite alot of knowledgeable people say they really like him . . . so it can't be that bad.

I wouldn't touch a horse with sweet-itch, sarcoids, a swayback, an overly long back (in proportion to the rest of the horse), over at the knee, or pigeon toes.

P

P.S. And, yes, I realize that neither sweet-itch or sarcoids are conformational faults

Unfortunately my mare has one club foot, she has been lame in it for over a year. We finally got to the bottom of it a few weeks ago with a diagnosis of articular ringbone in the coffin joint. So I wont be looking at horses with odd boxy feet either!

Jesstickle

Visit site
BH is long in the back, one knee higher than the other, one front foot completely different from the other, sarcoids, and an asymetric pelvis.

He's a great riding horse. Does his job incredibly well :)

be positive

Visit site
I would not buy a horse with any real conformation faults, I do not expect perfection but glaring faults would mean I walk away, there will be more risk of unsoundness why buy a potential problem when you can find one that at least starts off with a good chance of having a full active future.

Absolutely no curby hocks, back at the knee, feet that turn in or out.

I had a discussion this evening with a livery owner as all the horses on my yard are basically correctly put together,they are sound and have hardly a blemish between them despite having worked hard and most being teenagers or older.
The 32 year old hunted and very actively PCd for 26 years he is still very free moving and shows no signs of arthritis and has no splints, I put this down to very good conformation above anything else.

njyr

Visit site
I bought my first horse 18 months ago. I was so determined to make the right decision - temperament was at the top of my list. But i compromised on conformation - he is a little cow hocked and while I wouldn't have it any other way now if i were horse shopping again I would make correct conformation a higher priority.

According to the physio and vet this seemingly minor conformation fault has meant that he is naturally predisposed tonce on his forehand and has worked this way for most his life and it's contributed to him developing navicular. I am working hard to encourage him to take more weight behind and I know I'll get there but muscle memory and conformation is making it harder.

TicTac

Visit site
I would not buy a horse with any real conformation faults, I do not expect perfection but glaring faults would mean I walk away, there will be more risk of unsoundness why buy a potential problem when you can find one that at least starts off with a good chance of having a full active future.

Absolutely no curby hocks, back at the knee, feet that turn in or out.

I had a discussion this evening with a livery owner as all the horses on my yard are basically correctly put together,they are sound and have hardly a blemish between them despite having worked hard and most being teenagers or older.
The 32 year old hunted and very actively PCd for 26 years he is still very free moving and shows no signs of arthritis and has no splints, I put this down to very good conformation above anything else.

There are always the exceptions to the rule though. My grey boy is pidgeon toed in front and dishes badly on one of his front legs and has never been lame in the 8 years we've had him, Oh and he has a grade 4 heart murmur too! ( Not a conformation fault as such )

Foaling Around

Visit site
Feet out yes; feet in no way.

Horses hooves land slightly laterally first (to the outside), then the hoof rolls over slightly before breaking over at the centre. In my eyes a bit more hoof to the outside actually increases the landing area of the hoof thus concuses the limb less (although obviously to an extreme it would put too much pressure on the joints), whereas if there is less hoof to the outside I'd be worried about increased concussive forces and when you think of the hoof landing like this it doesn't seem quite *right*. If that makes sense to anyone :eek:

Batgirl

Visit site
My loaner has one front foot a whole size bigger than the other and I definately wouldn't buy another one with odd feet, I believe it has caused a good few of his lameness issues.

If I could wait a couple of years without a horse I would buy one that was over at the knee as I love him in every other way :)

maisie06

Visit site
I wouldn't consider a sway back, pronounced ewe neck, curbs, or back at the knee. I don't mind slight pigeon toes, but would be put off by feet that turn out. I also hate sickle hocks. Although I agree with handsome is as handsome does because I got this little guy who TBH has poor conformation, but "touches wood" is sound and fit for purpose, is as agile as a mountain goat, level headed and fun. I was going to sell him and buy something more showy, but I have changed my mind, he scrubs up ok for local and we get away with the bump on his knee and the goose rump!!
Back in 2010 when he arrived

DSC_0424.jpg

About a year later, a bit tubby just before he was broken to ride. His neck is still a little weak but will come from the right work his hocks are slightly sickle and his head is too big for his body - but he has grown into it a bit more now - BUT he is sane and safe so better the devil I know and he is now staying with me!!

DSC_0522.jpg

pixiebee

Visit site
now thats interesting as one said no way to toes in and another said no way to toes out, why? just out of interest really. my boy is mildly pigeon toed and he has a superb jump and is very agile, he also has narrow feet which the farrier complains about when fitting shoes though.lol he has just turned 14 and touch wood is going well!

maisie06

Visit site
now thats interesting as one said no way to toes in and another said no way to toes out, why? just out of interest really. my boy is mildly pigeon toed and he has a superb jump and is very agile, he also has narrow feet which the farrier complains about when fitting shoes though.lol he has just turned 14 and touch wood is going well!

I had one mare with pigeon toes, no probs at all in the time I owned her, Yet I have known a few horses with feet that turn out and all had lameness issues, makes me think "no thanks"

Foaling Around

Visit site
I explained my theory about why I thought toes out was better above. But that only was me theorising about which would be better knowing that horses land slightly on the lateral (outisde) aspect of the hoof.

I don't have enough experience with enough horses with both conformational faults to draw an opinion as to whether this is true or not. It may be that toes out actually causes the hoof to hit the ground before it *should* and not prepared for the concussive force so it is more concussive if that makes sense??!! (i.e. that horrible thud concussion you get when you get off a horse and didn't realise how big/small it was ;) - though on a side bar I read that because horses don't have muscles in their distal limb, they find it harder to prepare for a concusive force (think how your leg muscles tense more running on concrete))

Last edited:

Partoow

Visit site
Toe out conformation is more difficult to manage as the concusive forces are generally down the inside of the limb, usually the farrier will support this by putting lateral extensions on the shoe but with toe out this is not possible , the end result being more upright inside hoof wall and crushing, this will result in more pressure in the medial lateral structures in the hoof.
Pigeon toe can be managed more readily by good farriery, extra width on outside of shoe to spread concusive forces
With anything however it depends on the degree of turn and where in the limb/hoof the turn comes
from.
So in terms on confirmation the toe out is less easily managed and therefore of more consequence .

TicTac

Visit site
Toe out conformation is more difficult to manage as the concusive forces are generally down the inside of the limb, usually the farrier will support this by putting lateral extensions on the shoe but with toe out this is not possible , the end result being more upright inside hoof wall and crushing, this will result in more pressure in the medial lateral structures in the hoof.
Pigeon toe can be managed more readily by good farriery, extra width on outside of shoe to spread concusive forces
With anything however it depends on the degree of turn and where in the limb/hoof the turn comes
from.
So in terms on confirmation the toe out is less easily managed and therefore of more consequence .

Interesting.

Foaling Around

Visit site
from.

Thats very interesting - as I said I had only considered it in regards to the "raw" biomechanics but hadn't thought about what the farrier could do to improve both conformations and the idea of a lateral "wing" makes sense, but obviously medial wing isn't really going to work!! Still not sure if I like toe in though hehe.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I also wouldn't consider buying a horse which is downhill because they are incredibly heavy in the hand when riding. All of the weight is on the forehand so not only are they uncomfortable to ride they are almost impossible to get any decent schooling out of because they cannot collect themselves up or 'sit back' on their hocks, which means that they are practically incapeable of doing decent transitions, or jump for that matter!!

I disagree with this entirely, assuming you're not aiming for GP or jumping round badminton, OP.

My old cob is cow hocked and it never stopped him doing anything.

jeeve

Visit site
I have 7 horses, they probably all have a fault or two - nothing major.

2 or 3 are slightly cow hocked, they are extremely agile and quick on their feet. They always seem to find a leg, they are the ones racing around the paddock, sliding stops, wheeling around herding the other horses and jump anything in front of them.

1 is slightly long in the back, he can be very light in hand though.

1 has had sarcoids (they have been frozen off they have not come back). She also dishes slightly.

1 I would like a little more length of rein.

1 has slightly boxy upright feet.

1 has big flat feet.

Most the time these little things are not an issue. I think you can get too caught up worrying about these things. It really depends more on what you will be doing with the horse, what level you are likely to be competing at, whether you are looking at a breeding prospect, and how the faults if any, impact on your intended use, and how extreme they are.

For me we do not compete at a level where any of this issues are likely to be a concern, and most can be managed with some care and thought.

maresmaid

Visit site
I would never buy anything with poor feet. Experience has taught me that there will be a lot of heart ache in years to come.

Alyth

Visit site
To me conformation is third in the consideration. But it is linked with no. 2. First is temperament. Regardless of anything else I would not consider purchasing a horse with a "bad" temperament. He, or she, needs to be calm and co-operative above anything else. Then movement must be straight and smooth. If this is good there won't be too much wrong with the conformation!! Poor hooves will improve with no shoes and good trimming. And these techniques will probably improve minor stance problems as well. But the most important consideration is whether the horses "horsonality" and your personality "gel". And equally important are you both interested in the same sports!! It is no use having a perfect reiner if you want to show jump!! So imo conformation is not really worth worrying about!!!