Conformation faults you can live with ....

Prudence

Visit site
a) Swan neck?

b) Slightly upright feet/pastern (but a pair and in proportion to the horse)?

c) Slight long and sloping pasterns?

d) Tied-in behind the knee?

e) Over at the knee?

f) Back at the knee?

g) Sickle hocked?

h) cow hocked?

I'm just being nosey here - would like to know what people think of these faults. Thank you

Prudence

Visit site
Really? It's extremely difficult to find a horse that is free of any kind of fault and some that I have listed are actually desired for some activities, though obviously not horrendously bad........

moodymare1987

Visit site
i wouldnt like any of the tied up at the knee, back at the knee problems. as can cause strain on the horses legs but some horses i know are cowhocked. and no problems at all. it depends what you intend to do as some horse who have really poor confirmation can be the best jumpers or whatever.

lordflynn

Visit site
erm-well depends on the breed as well. I have a luso that obviously doesnt have the sort of conformation you would look for in an eventer-ie quite upright in the shoulder and pasterns. He's been bred for a particular job and is a damn comfy ride
smile.gif

depending on the horse, what I want him for and the degree of the fault none of them would put me off in themselves. Swan necks can often be improved upon-I think the ones that would bother me most are over/back of knee, followed by sickle/cow hocks.

KatB

Visit site
Don't like sickle hocks, but slightly straight is fine, as is straight through paturn aslong as it doesnt show in their movement!! My horse is very upright everywhere, but has none of the probs associated, eg choppy stride, weak hocks etc. So depends on the horse!! Not fond of ewe neck or lowly set on, as can make it difficult for a horse to ever look uphill...

Onyxia

Visit site
Depends on how bad and how many in one horse!
I would trust the vet, if the fault wouldnt stop horse doing what I wanted it for then would buy it.

Skhosu

Visit site
heh....my boy has a dipped back, low heels, cow hocked, jumpers bump, and generally looks odd! TBH the only thing that is a problem with him is he has VERY bumpy legs and would tend to get splints/knocks etc easily plus we take good care of his legs as he occasionally gets swelling in them.
In hindisght, I would try and buy something with as few conformation faults as possible, my sisters new mare is one such horse and will hopefully be less accident prone.
I would not intentionally buy something with bad leg conformation, everything else depends on the job!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Apparently years ago some half brain decided that over at the knee horses were fast and it became the fashoin to breed them like this. I dont particularly like it but you are hard pressed to find a TB that doesnt nowadays.
I dont see the point in buying a horse with obvious faults - its guaranteed there is a better one round the corner. I can live with a turned in foot, as long as the knee is straight. Roach backs I actually like, couple them with a horse that is straight behind and you have a proper jumping machine. Long joints are a big no no for me - asking for suspensory problems. Although it depends on the overall shape of the horse, some will get away with things others wouldnt. I have never known a horse with a dip back stay sound.

Governor

Visit site
I have a bit of an issue with anything but straight knees if the horse is expected to jump etc.

My horse's hinds (particularly the off hind) turn out slightly, although it is more from the hip and he doesn't appear cow hocked. If there was one thing I could change about his conformation that would be it as i'm convinced its not entirely aesthetic and does affect his performance slightly.

The rest would depend on the horse really.