conjunctivitis / weeping eye...

BorgRae

Visit site
Hi all,

Ok so a few days ago my lad had a weeping and slightly swolen eye. My YO said she thought it was conjunctivitis and to bathe it with tea.

So I have been doing that the past couple of days, and gave him some bute to take the swelling down (he's also been wearing a fly mask).

I called the vet this morning as it is still weeping (it's kind of like a greeny snot colour) It's not weeping as bad as it was, but still weeping a bit. They said to bathe it in salt water and if it's still like that on Monday, they'll come down.

My question is, is there anything else I can do to aid the healing?

Golden eye, or drops? What are your experiences?

Thanks very much for your help!! :)

claribella

Visit site
I used human eye ointment with great affect. I cant remember the name of it though. I bought it from the pharmacy and was told the ointment is better as it stays in the eye better.

BorgRae

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I'll nip to the pharmacy and see what they suggest. I guess most things that are ok for human eyes would be ok for horse eyes.

Thank you...

Anyone have any names of particular eye ointments, that have been sucessful, that I could use?

mandwhy

Visit site
I had one when I had an inflamed tear duct that had chloramphenicol 1.0% it worked but I think it probably would have cleared up on its own with bathing :)

BorgRae

Visit site
Thanks guys, think i'll invest in the chloramphenicol 1.0% then.

It probably will clear up with bathing, but want to do anything I can to help it. He doesn't seen to be in pain with it, but think it's irritating him as he's constantly itching his face on me, bless him.

Do you agree with bathing in Salt water? Or should I stick to black tea?

alsiola

Visit site
You need to ring your vet back and tell them to come out today. Eye problems can go downhill quickly if not treated correctly and promptly, so it would not be acceptable to leave it until Monday for me.