Conjunctivitis

bumper

Visit site
We were visiting Mum last week, and one of her dogs had conjunctivitis, diagnosed by the vet, and given antibiotic eye gel to use. Since returning home after our week's visit, one of my dogs has it too.
I'm wondering if it would to be fine to visit my chemists and get some antibiotic eye drops from them, as it would be a darn sight cheaper than £40 at the vets!
Don't get me wrong: of course I will take him to the vets if I am assured what they will give me, instead of the chemist's "human" preparation, would be safer. I was just wondering if in fact it's the same thing.
I should also qualify this by saying that my job is in an eye clinic, so I had diagnosed Mum's dog's conjunctivitis before she was taken to the vet.

ellie_e

Visit site
I work in an opticians so its handy to get hold of things however, my dog had a run of conjunctivitis, you need chloramphenicol, I use the gel, im not sure if they sell it in pharmacies, but will sell optrex infected eyes which is a drop, do not tell them its for a dog otherwise they will not sell it to you.

bumper

Visit site
Thank you for the reply. That's, in fact, what I did! I've been using Optrex Infected Eyes since yesterday, and he's already improving.

(I told them it was for my mother!!)

:)