connemara...... pleasantly surprised !

louincrew

Visit site
Have just had a connie shipped over. He's been here since Tuesday morning and my god what a total star. His nature is just wow.
Is this the calm before the storm?! I've done some research on the breed as a whole but I don't know of any in real life so to speak .
Would love some before and after pictures of some . Mine is looking a tad babyish at 4 but with a decent amount of bone , so there is a fair bit of growing to do yet!
Don't know how to post pics as I'm normally a lurker !
So if any of you guys have pictures post away !

kassieg

Visit site
I used to work for a dealer & most of what we got over were connies & most of them were absolute angels. I love them! I always say when I get to old & scared to ride proper event horses I am going to get a 15hh connie to do 90's with in my old age :p

1life

Visit site
Love them! My daughter's last 2 horses have been connie crosses and they have both had such sane personalities but with a real 'can do' attitude. They respond well to a 'firm but fair' approach and can turn their hoof to ANYTHING. I have found sometimes that they take a little while to fill out and muscle up but usually by around 6 they can look the bees knees. Enjoy :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've got a connie cross (apparently x with ID). He's fantastic! If he is typical of the breed/ cross then I don't think I'd have anything else again in future! Mine only hunted until his 6th year then started schooling so it has taken until this year, his 8th year, for him to really looked well developed. As above, he can turn his hoof to anything. This year I've done some UA ODEs and BE, SJ, DR, team chased, and he's equally happy just hacking at schooling at home, or just having a fuss in the field. He's a lovely person and every day I am delighted with him in some way. Fab little horse :)

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I have a Connemara and love him to bits - he's seriously nosey and wants to know what's going on with everything all the time.
Took him out on a hack where he met many things with me for the first time yesterday and he was a total star - pushchairs/screaming kids, buses, bin lorries, other lorries, fast cars, slow cars, motorbikes, bikes, plastic bags in hedges..only thing he took exception to was a cement mixer! And all he did then was go "OMG mum is it ok?!" and as soon as you assure him it's fine he's happy as larry trying to nose at how people have decorated their front gardens again...

Would certainly get one again :) (and intend to at some point ;D)

NinjaPony

Visit site
My Connemara is just like that, he's a delight! He's been no trouble since day one and is such a lovely boy to have around-I think connemaras are brilliant!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Connemaras are the best little horses in Ireland :) Much nicer than the Irish Draught if you want to have a go at everything and enjoy doing it. Love them.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I adore mine and would definitely buy another, I have a variety of horses before and my best horse was an Irish imported ID x Arab and he was lovely once we had established the ground rules. Nickel was a 5 year old when he was imported and he is such a polite boy, he has bags of character and tries his heart out whatever I ask of him. He loves jumping, but has taken to affiliated dressage well, regularly beating posh warmbloods as he has a lovely quality stride, despite what others might have said. Was talking to one of the grooms where he lives and we both agree that it is a little sad he has so many scars (on visible when first clipped) but whatever has happened to him, he loves people who are kind to him and wouldn't dare to be rude. He is also one of the best horses I have had to hack out, bombproof in any traffic.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
after many years of having TB's I have crossed over and bought a 4 year old pure Connemara gelding in May this year - I am smitten - he is calm, sensible and really quite sweet - he has gone off and done some clear round jumping and just seems to take it in his stride - In fact I will post a gratuitous video I took of him on his 2nd outing - the lady riding is helping me with him whilst my leg mends from an injury from another horse - I do hack him out as he is so straightforward.
I bought him for me thinking he would grow but so far he is still 14.1 but I think I am going to keep him anyway.

Video -

http://youtu.be/XZoJPOUS8cc

Last edited:

louincrew

Visit site
^^ He looks super !!
Thanks guys for your input- it seems I have a fair bit to look forward to!
Considering he's a project....... doesn't look like he's going anywhere !

NinjaPony

Visit site
Just to wave the Connemara flag a bit more....I got back on my pony after 5 weeks off, most of it stuck in, and he'd been in for 2 days prior to me riding him. I didn't lunge him, just hopped straight on and he was an angel, we even had one nice controlled canter no problem. They are great!

onemoretime

Visit site
Agree with all that is written here. I had a Connemara x TB bought last year but sadly lost him in August, he was only 6, he got E coli from eating hawthorn (that's what vets and all of us are pretty sure it was) it can go down the throat and prick through the intestine and release the E coli which is in the gut (natural gut bateria along with salmonella) and the E coli multiplies every 20 minutes. We fought very hard to save him bad sadly lost the battle.

I am looking for another one, LJR whereabouts in Ireland did you get your connie x TB perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know. The horse we lost had really big movement and everyone thought he was a warmblood, we do affiliated dressage so am looking for another with similar movement.

Once you have had a connie or connie x I think you fall totally in love with them. They have such huge characters, Marley was so kind and loving and was coming on so well and so easy to do everything with. Loved being pulled about, including clipping, washing etc. And he had a real look at me presence, he was a WOW horse, lovely white tail as he was grey. Desperate to find another if anyone can help please let me know.

oldie48

Visit site
I just love connies! We've had a full connie and a connie/tb, both were fantastic and would try their hearts out for you. Both had bags of talent and super temperaments, however, I've now got a 3/4TB 1/4ID and although I love TBS i'm sure the sensible attitude to life and the lovely active paces comes from the bit of ID.

Feival

Visit site
I've got a 22yo Connemara x TB, 6yo Connemara x cob and a 2yo Connemara x cob x British riding pony. All are awesome and I will never have anything that's not at least crossed with a Connemara again ��

small

Visit site
Onemoretime that is so sad I am really sorry you lost him I have a Connie x tb who is 17 and he has been the love of my life!! I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to him. There are usually quite a few advertised on the British Connemara society website. I hope you find another lovely one.

Smitty

Visit site
I am having to retire my Connie x tb aged 8 due to stifle and bone spavin issues. She is fabulous in every way and I am also desperate for another. Perhaps we will have to arrange a HHO buying trip to Ireland!

TrasaM

Visit site
I'm moving to Northern Ireland soonish .. I've started looking at horses there and now have my sights set on a dun Connemara X TB. There are lots on DoneDeal.ie at the moment too. I often go to the annual pony show in Clifden and just ogle them :D
Maybe I should offer B&B for horse hunters once I get settled ;)

onemoretime

Visit site
Onemoretime that is so sad I am really sorry you lost him I have a Connie x tb who is 17 and he has been the love of my life!! I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to him. There are usually quite a few advertised on the British Connemara society website. I hope you find another lovely one.
Many thanks "Small" for your kind words. It was only about 7 weeks ago so is still very raw and I cannot believe it has happened. He had lovely big movement and people thought he was a Dutch Warmblood and he was so easy in every way and I just need another one so that I can move forward and try to come to terms with his loss.

jm2k

Visit site
Have just had a connie shipped over. He's been here since Tuesday morning and my god what a total star. His nature is just wow.
Is this the calm before the storm?! I've done some research on the breed as a whole but I don't know of any in real life so to speak .
Would love some before and after pictures of some . Mine is looking a tad babyish at 4 but with a decent amount of bone , so there is a fair bit of growing to do yet!
Don't know how to post pics as I'm normally a lurker !
So if any of you guys have pictures post away !

Can you send me contact info or how you went about this? I have a friend looking and this maybe of interest to her
Well done on your good match and happy times ahead

TrasaM

Visit site
TrasaM I would come stay with you!!! I'd love to pony shop with you I think we'd like the same thing!!! A dun connemara x tb sounds great!!! 15.2 gelding please!!!

There was one recently I loved but getting nearer to 16h ..
I've already got my friend waiting to visit as she wants to go horse shopping too. Think that'd be fun Atlantis ��

onemoretime

Visit site
Can I come please Connemara x TB gelding must be grey preferably iron grey and 15.3 5 years old. We could have a right old time girls!!!

louincrew

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss onemoretime.
I'm absolutely astounded by my little lads attitude to life.
Think I've learnt how to upload a pic?! This was the first time under saddle with Me :-
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/dancer1mango/Mobile Uploads/IMG-20141002-WA0021.jpg

And him before he came over :-
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums...le Uploads/Screenshot_2014-09-26-16-34-23.png

he looks to have a slightly common head in the picture but it's actually really dainty !

I'll keep you guys updated if he stays / goes and anything in between .
If you want any info of where he was from ill pm you details x