Connemara showing height

rosie gall

Visit site
Hi - I am considering buying a 5yo Connie X pony that is really stunning. I want to show her but wonder as she stands at 14.3hh (to be checked again) but what classes can I enter on her? Is there a ceiling on height thought she is a X not pure bred. Sire not known but if she continues to grow to to make 15hh - what could I do and when do they mature in height terms?? Many thanks, Rosie

conniegirl

Visit site
She cannot do M&M classes as she is not purebred. So what showing classes she can do will depend on what she looks like. A photo would be very helpful

Many connie crosses make excellent show or working hunter ponys however there are age limits for the rider on SHP and WHP.
If she isnt too ponyish you might get away with a small riding horse or small hunter class if over 14.2hh this will depend on her type though as most connie crosses can tend to be quite ponyish in their head and movement.

oldie48

Visit site
You can download the British showing handbook which gives you all the info regarding type and min/max height. If she is clearly going to measure out of 148cm when fully grown, I'd expect this to reduce her value somewhat as she'd be clearly out of pony classes and probably a bit small for other classes but I'm no expert.

be positive

Visit site
You can download the British showing handbook which gives you all the info regarding type and min/max height. If she is clearly going to measure out of 148cm when fully grown, I'd expect this to reduce her value somewhat as she'd be clearly out of pony classes and probably a bit small for other classes but I'm no expert.

As she is not a pure bred her value is dependent on other things she can or cannot do, unless she is being sold as a show prospect I would not expect her height to make any difference to her value, if the OP is buying something with showing in mind as its main job then she would probably be best to decide what type she wants and look for that rather than buying one that may not fit into any class, if being bought as a horse first with showing as something to possibly do for fun then it is worth buying this one if it ticks all the important boxes.

oldie48

Visit site
As she is not a pure bred her value is dependent on other things she can or cannot do, unless she is being sold as a show prospect I would not expect her height to make any difference to her value, if the OP is buying something with showing in mind as its main job then she would probably be best to decide what type she wants and look for that rather than buying one that may not fit into any class, if being bought as a horse first with showing as something to possibly do for fun then it is worth buying this one if it ticks all the important boxes.
Yes, true, I guess I was thinking more in terms of 148's having a potentially bigger market than one that measured out, especially if it was talented.

be positive

Visit site
Yes, true, I guess I was thinking more in terms of 148's having a potentially bigger market than one that measured out, especially if it was talented.

If it has the talent to go to top level in one of the main disciplines the height will make a difference to value but for most people the playing fields are now level so a useful overheight pony can still compete in all spheres with an adult or child on board so to my mind it means the average pony that doesn't measure can be a good buy for a small adult who just wants to have fun at the lower levels, if they prove to be good enough they can still go on.

rosie gall

Visit site
She cannot do M&M classes as she is not purebred. So what showing classes she can do will depend on what she looks like. A photo would be very helpful

Many connie crosses make excellent show or working hunter ponys however there are age limits for the rider on SHP and WHP.
If she isnt too ponyish you might get away with a small riding horse or small hunter class if over 14.2hh this will depend on her type though as most connie crosses can tend to be quite ponyish in their head and movement.

Hi she is a really stunning dapple grey, very pretty but maybe you have hit the nail on the head as I am an older, 60 years young so this is clearly going to restrict what I can do with her. I love my showing so this is very helpful. I will try to attach a picture. Thanks,

rosie gall

Visit site

Attachments

• Kali 5yo 14.3hh.jpg
    Kali 5yo 14.3hh.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 59

only_me

Visit site
She looks very nice, she is also going to be pure white in a few years!
Looks like a nice useful type though, plus if she is 14.3 she may be able to get measured in as 148 so if she does show potential in event/jump would be easy enough to sell on.

Visit site
As to people saying to measure down I am going to disagree. And I know a lot of you won't like this but here goes anyway ...

Chuck her out on good cattle pasture in the spring, feed her well with good food and a decent balancer for winter and try and get 2 more inches out of her. It can be done. I turned a 6yo Shetland mare out on 3 acres of cattle pasture in spring, no food though and she grew another 2in. I was not best amused! She is now over height for a Shetland. But if you can go up another few inches you would stand a better chance in small hunter/riding horse classes. She is far too chunky for Hacks.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
She's pretty (but I'm biased as I have an almost matching one here). Did the sellers buy her mother from a stud?

If you really want to show then probably best to buy something that has registered breeding or is an easier fit into type classes.

rosie gall

Visit site
Thanks everyone this has been really helpful.

She is just too borderline I think so maybe I should go with registered BUT I am now thinking at 60 maybe I am limited by the classes I can enter anyway - what ever the breed.

Am I right though in thinking that a good ridden hunter does not have a rider age restriction?
I have done coloured cob before so would prefer not to go that route as sorting out CHAPS is a long haul!
There are very few ridden hack classes around in the South West which is where I am so I think I am also rejecting a hack on that basis. I will download the BHS handbook at read that ..... well some of it!

Visit site
Hunters, riding horses, hacks, coloureds (of all heights) Arabs cobs and native ponies do not have upper age limits on who can ride them in the show ring.

honetpot

Visit site
Unless your seriously into showing just buy something you like and is a nice 'pony' and what you want to do with it. You could do any over SHP/RP classes but you are too old that why M&M pure breeds are so popular for M&M, it doesn't matter how old you are and as long as they are not too big for the pony anyone can ride it.
I have Connemara's and they are not always easy and a lot now are more like a small sports horse, not the slightly more glamorous Thelwell ponies of 40 years ago.

rosie gall

Visit site
Unless your seriously into showing just buy something you like and is a nice 'pony' and what you want to do with it. You could do any over SHP/RP classes but you are too old that why M&M pure breeds are so popular for M&M, it doesn't matter how old you are and as long as they are not too big for the pony anyone can ride it.
I have Connemara's and they are not always easy and a lot now are more like a small sports horse, not the slightly more glamorous Thelwell ponies of 40 years ago.
That's interesting I am just thinking about my first pony a Connie and she had endless energy - it drove me mad - I wonder if that will be the case again. I have obviously been riding for years but don't want to be carted around again esp in the show ring. It is all starting to make sense, so helpful, thanks. But I have seen another now pure bred with a black mane and very dark legs, is there a chance that this one may remain with the black mane?? Very pretty, needs work - but that is what I like x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
nope, if you want a black mane you need a bay or buckskin version ;)

Though there is one line of slow greying connies.

rosie gall

Visit site
nope, if you want a black mane you need a bay or buckskin version ;)

Though there is one line of slow greying connies.
Fascinating so you are saying that no matter what colour they are at say 5 when they have matured they are all a much lighter grey colour if they are pure bred??

Leo Walker

Visit site
grey is a modifier. So the pony is born bay or black etc and over time goes grey. They usually run through a roany colour, steel, dapple, flea bitten before settling on a dirty beige colour which is occasionally white. It can happen very quickly or very slowly, but if a pony has the grey gene they will keep changing until they hit the white stage.

only_me

Visit site
This was my 14.2 connie who was as dark as the one you’ve put a pic of OP and he went pure white but kept some of dapples on legs - but otherwise white lol
6CFA1A27-4745-484A-B803-DE3AB486F47E.jpeg

Attachments

• 59D2BB4B-F10B-458F-B2C7-F0A989BDE95A.jpeg
    59D2BB4B-F10B-458F-B2C7-F0A989BDE95A.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 7

oldie48

Visit site
Dun is lovely and doesn't change colour also being mud coloured it is very easy to keep clean! Our grey connie was very dappled at five but flea bitten when sold at nine, he was white in his teens.

Attachments

• kizzy1.jpg
    kizzy1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 3

mcnaughty

Visit site
For starters, people always over measure at home. You would be very surprised how JMB could probably quite easily get the pony in under 14.2. You wont be able to do any serious ridden showing with her if that is what you are in to. She cannot do M&M and she is far too small for a ridden hunter. Even a ladies hunter and sorry you are too old. ;-)
You cant even do serious workers either. However if you are only going to do local then I'd go for the M&M classes. I have never had my passports checked at a local show. In fact I've never had my passports checked at an affiiated show either but you fill in the sire, dam on the entry form.

I can thoroughly recommend waiting and finding yourself a very nice purebred connie. Or perhaps if you are into the more sedate life a nice fell, dales or highland?

Your age will not be taken into consideration when riding any sized M&M in any class.

Chippers1

Visit site
My Connie has held on to his dapples a little longer than some (well he's 10...) but these two photos were taken a year apart, it's amazing how quick they go grey!
Screenshot_20181011-201843_Gallery.jpg
I agree with others, wait for a purebred Connie, you have a whole host of m & m classes to enter, and you don't have to plait!