Connemara's vs New Forest's

Holly_09

Visit site
Can't comment on Connies, but I have an NF on share, and now love the breed. She will pop round a 2'6 course with no bother, but she's also safe enough that a 7 year old can pols around on her with no bother. Just fab ponies.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
I have a New Forest type rescue mare and don't know if it's because she is a mare or her breeding but she was very stroppy and bargy at first until we worked with her. Never owned a Connie but really want to.

HazyXmas

Visit site
I have both breeds :) Definitely prefer connies, although one of the best childrens ponies that we had was a 13hh NF mare.

I think that connies are generally more versatile & i prefer their temperaments. Both breeds mature quite late, usually ok by about 7.

We are lucky to have such a great choice in the UK :)

MrsNorris

Visit site
Never had a connie, but the best pc pony we ever had was an unregistered forest-bred NF, didn't look like anything but the calmest most wonderful temperement, you could take her anywhere! Took the best care of her rider and was just an all round pleasure to own. :)

rowy

Visit site
I think new forests as a breed tend to really vary as they have let do many different breeds of stallions on the forest.
I have never had a new forest, although have experienced what they are like on the forest. I have a connie x and have met a connie stallion (who was very well behaved and stunning).
I don't really think you can directly compare the breed as I think connie's tend to be more sporty as a whole.

annaellie

Visit site
I've got a nf x hackney and he is fab, he is a stallion but has the calmest temp ever. We sat on him tonight for the first time he is 4 half, he was amazing I can not believe how good he was. I've never had dealings with nf before but he is converting me :D

millikins

Visit site
Modern Connemaras have been bred and graded as performance ponies, NF can be just as good but I think there's more luck of the draw involved. Own a Connie and met lots of both, mainly all good.

SO1

Visit site
Both great ponies but new forests way cheaper. I have a new forest as I could not afford a connemara - new forests are the poor person's connnie!! However how lucky I am as if I had been able to afford a connemara I would have missed out on owning a wonderful breed of pony and should I ever need to get another pony even if I was really rich and could get a connie knowing what I know now about new forests I would get another forester. My new forest is a real all rounder even one year winning the riding club points trophy and he has a lovely friendly nature.

I think connies have a reputation for being a bit sharper than new forests and they tend to be more large connies about than they are full up foresters.

It is a misconception that many different breeds of stallion go out on the new forest. There is variation with the mares but the stallions out on the new forest are all inspected by the breed society and choosen as they are good examples of the breed and the numbers are limited.

POLLDARK

Visit site
New Forest ponies are great. Mine competes BD aff, has the points to prove it. Loves to jump. Does well in the showring especially when the judge thinks he is a Connie (Judges can be very prejudiced). They see a very pretty light dapple grey & instantly it's a Connie.!:D

Spiritedly

Visit site
I had a connie x tb and he was wonderful, would jump anything and had an amazing extended trot, unfortunately he hated dressage :(. I now have a 2 year old forester and I can see quite a few similarities in the way he moves and the way my connie x did. Their temperaments are very similar too.

angellauren

Visit site
I've had my New Forest pony since he was 10 months old, fresh from the forest! He's a little superstar! Unfortunately he never made the height I was hoping for so is out on loan to a family with a couple of young children who are really enjoying him. The step mum also competes him occasionally and she was gobsmacked when he won the jump off in a showjumping class she'd entered! Before, when I had him we'd started to do a little bit of dressage and very often he was the only pony in the class and always held his own and would win the class.
His temperament as a youngster didn't leave much to be desired, he was vile and stubborn and that was after he was gelded. He used to always (and still sometimes does!) insists on jumping over his stable door. Once he was backed, he was a much more laid back lad, I think he just needed something to do. He was a fantastic first pony for me and was certainly the learning curve I needed!

I've can't comment on Connemara ponies as I've not had much to do with them, they look a lovely breed too!

Kadastorm

Visit site
I have had/have both connies and new forests and both are fab. Will turn their hooves to anything as long as you build partnership with them. they are cheeky, can be opinionated and will take the mick if they can. will go out for hours on hacks, jump fabulously (most of the time) and will school beautifully. usually, the ones i have known can be left for weeks without being ridden and still come in and be safe, maybe a little excited but never dangerous.
Also both breeds are good weight carriers, im 5'10 and 10stone and my 13.2hh nf carries me quite happily!
i just love them!

pickwickayr

Visit site
I have a forest bred nf mare who.I bought off the forest as a 2 year old. From the day she arrived she had the most wonderful laid back temperament. Now 6 years old she is a little rosette machine having many wins in dressage, whp, ode, sj, xc . She is an absolute machine xc! Although she is lazy on the flat, she will jump anything which makes up for it! Love her to bits :)

Inchy

Visit site
I have 2 new forests (a stallion and a gelding) and recently had to have my connie put to sleep...so i can give quite a balanced view!

My connie was a quirky character, would jump the moon if you asked him too, picked up new things (both good and bad!!) very quickly. The downside to connies is they're often grey (filthy!!) and the are ridiculously priced!

My new forests are ver straightforward but stubborn characters, but once you've got them on side they're dead easy to train! my gelding is working at advanced medium, the stallion is the most placid creature on the planet, we often forget he is a stallion.

LiffWee93

Visit site
i adore NF's :) and i know quite a few bad ones, but thats due to them being pandered to :p ive noticed if you let them get away with anything they'll take that as a hint to get away with EVERYTHING, i find the geldings much nicer usually than mares (our little mare is sharp, but so brave and genuine). Both my boys have a fab jump, can pull a decent test out of the bag and have temperaments to die for, and little girly isnt so bad once she trusts you :) theyve all learnt very quickly with everything ive taught them, and the forest bred ones (if born in busy places) are already quite used to traffic which is useful :p ahhh love them! fab little breed!!

vieshot

Visit site
Known tonnes of foresters who were all so different! Some complete dope on a rope types who are so laid back they are horizontal and others that are a complete stressy mess that lose the plot with the slightest change.

I keep eying up connie ponies and have been debating bringing a nice youngster over from Ireland.

mulberrymill

Visit site
Have had both, but current NF is my second one. Strong, tough, versatile and great personalities. The Connies can be a little too sharp at times, most NF are easy going and more placid. Hard to get one up to height tho, most are the 13.2 mark, if you can find one that 14.2 its the most versatile pony you can get. Shame that in the show ring they are still the poor relations to the connies tho. I love their action especially at trot, its so long and low you can ride it for ages without feeling bounced around.

honetpot

Visit site
I have both and although if you need a full up 14.2 you are more likely to get one in a connie inch for inch I think the NF is a better buy.
I do not think NF are sharp but just cleverer than the average 14.2, they have the brains of a good Welsh A, will keep you out of trouble, jump like stag, tough feet and limbs and they live on next to nothing.
As most of the connies are stud bred they seem to have lost their hardiness, lovely ponies but higher maintainace.