Considerations when selling a horse?

Jingleballs

Visit site
I've never sold a horse before - the one I'm selling is the only horse I have ever owned so this is new territory to me but I have come across my share of muppets when trying to find a sharer so keen to avoid the pitfalls when selling and find the best home I can for my boy.

I've already had some enquiries but they don't all seem like good prospects - one asking to take him on loan, another who could only afford half of what I want for him and while a good home is way more important than the money, I do question whether someing shopping for the perfect horse on such a small budget is really someone I want to sell to.

So any tips? Is it odd to get references when you sell a horse? I know people do it for loaners but you would still legally own the horse so that seems reasonable but that's what I'd like to do as part of a sale - properly vet the buyer to give myself the best chance of finding the right home.

Would this put buyers off?

Any advice would be most welcome!

be positive

Visit site
I have never asked for references although have been tempted a few times, I do thoroughly question all callers before they come to view and any that don't sound suitable will be politely put off with an excuse as to why the horse will not be right for them, rather than why they are not right for the horse.
I have sold a fair amount over the years and rarely have more than one or two viewers as I know the horses and what in my mind is the right type of rider/ owner/ home, any with special requirements have these clearly explained during the initial call so there should be no surprises when they do come, I describe them as accurately as I can, the age, height, ability is always correct so no one will turn up expecting to see a 15.2 and see a 14.2 instead, the same with ability if the horse lacks talent in some way then there is no point saying it will go to the top if it has no ability to do so, being honest works both ways, if the rider thinks they are going to ride at Badminton and constantly bigs themselves up they are probably more novicey than they think so unless I am selling a first horse type I will tell them it is not what they want and put them off.

When they do turn up take notice of how they approach and handle the horse, if yours needs a confident person and they are cautious then it may not work, don't be afraid to give pointers, they same once they ride if you are not happy make excuses and finish the trial, don't worry about what they may think if the horse is not right for them or they are not right for your horse you are doing them a favour by not wasting their time or raising their hopes.

When the right person comes along you usually know, I often know after the phone call that as long as they are as they seem it will be the right horse for the right home.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If I rang you about a horse and you mentained references I am afraid I would look at another ,too much risk you were going to hard work .

Schollym

Visit site
Make sure you get as many of your local contacts as you know, aware you are looking to sell.
I was looking to get a new horse after losing my old horse and looked at a lot of adverts, made phone calls when two different people let me know of a 15.1 for sale who hadn't done much but the owner was selling due to financial reasons. She has gone from a happy hacker to dressage, jumping, cross country and trec and is a joy to own , my Livery yard owner who deals in show jumpers reckons he could sell something similar time and time again. Her previous owner has been to visit, come to shows and even hack out on her on one occasion. This all came from word of mouth recommendations.