Considering a Micklem bridle...

Casey76

Visit site
I'm considering buying a Micklem bridle, mainly as I can't find anything else I really like, with the specifications I want.

My main concern is that my horse doesn't need a drop noseband. He is happy with his full cheek bit and cavesson noseband.

How do people get on with them?

pistolpete

Visit site
I really liked it. My horse went better in it and I never did the noseband up tight. Better connection through the bit for me before I gave up and went bitless! I never used the tongue clips though.Not the bridle's fault though just an unusual horse. Resale is good if you don't like it although I have kept mine in case I fancy a bitted bridle ever.

Wheels

Visit site
If your horse is happy in his current set up then why are you thinking of changing?

The ones I've seen are not great quality I don't think although useful for lunging a normal well fitted bridle is perfect for most horses

Shay

Visit site
We were looking at Micklem's a few months ago and I was surprised at the poor quality of the leather - especially for the price. We decided against bothering - although more because I was not convinced it would actually make sufficient a different to justify the hefty price tag.

Casey76

Visit site
If your horse is happy in his current set up then why are you thinking of changing?

The ones I've seen are not great quality I don't think although useful for lunging a normal well fitted bridle is perfect for most horses

Because my current bridle doesn't fit properly, and I'm finding it difficult to find anything in the awkward size my horse is.

I thought I could try this before going to separate bits.

The Mucklem has become wuite popular at my yard, and the three I've seen have been really nice leather - especially the new competition bridle with the raised and stitched noseband.

JoshuaR97

Visit site
I ride mine in a micklem.. The stitching is already coming undone and only used it a few times.. couldn't say it's made much of a change but I did try change back to his normal bridle a plan cavesson and he proper wasn't pleased.. I think it's more the fact that this bridle makes you think the horse is gonna make the horse 'happier' so you go out and buy it..

Amicus

Visit site
I haven't ever owned one but have ridden horses in them and not particularly impressed and leather quality is rubbish, the only ones where leather seemed nice owner assured me only nice after 15 rounds of conditioning, I think you could get better for your money.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would only get one if I needed one, due to the aforementioned quality issues.

Loads of companies will put a bridle together for you if you measure what fits him.

Trying to get a micklem to fit could be just as challenging.

Llee94

Visit site
I love my micklem but the quality isn't great. The leather is really stiff even though it is used almost everyday and regularly cleaned. My horse goes the best she has ever gone it it so in my opinion is well worth the money.

Frenchmade

Visit site
I bought a Micklem last month from a French online shop for much less than it is in the UK. The leather quality is fine. I've conditioned it lots, as I would expect to, but it's OK. Not perhaps as nice as my Jeffries Wembly Pro, but reasonable. I haven't tried it with a bit, as I bought it for all the bitless options. I am not terribly impressed with the release of the pressure with the two bitless options I've tried, but he did really like it and went well. Im using it now mostly as a cavesson for lunging. Very useful and fits nicely. If my horse ever gets right enough to ride (see other post!) I'll try it with the bit. For me, worth the money but then I didn't pay full price.

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
Saw a huge change in my mare from the first ride inwards. I know quality is an issue on the multi rifle but mine is in the competition bridle and I like the leather. Was stiff for a week or two but lovely and soft now.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A very kind HHo member gifted a Micklem to my feral carthorse Ted.

The horse was broken in the summer using just a headstall and browband with a fulmer. Ted has had big issues around his ears from the very moment he landed with us as an 11 month old colt in 2012. I thought in the 2 years I would be handling him prior to him being broken the ear/poll issue would right itself.

It didn't and as soon as he was ridden in the fields he started pinning his ear back, head shaking and alternating between running forward and running backwards as the leg was put on.

The vets found nothing in his mouth or ears and the osteo was happy. The next step would be investigating the trigeminal nerve, not the news I wanted on what is just a common carthorse with equine bipolar tendencies that was lucky to still be alive. I posted my woes on his thread and a few days later a full size micklem arrived with a packet of mints and no return address. There really are some very kind people on this forum.

The difference was instant and I was intriqued. The cheekpieces sit a little further back than a normal bridle and the headpiece is shaped away from the base of the ear, the browband seems generous. There is no need to adjust the noseband to put any pressure on at all and certainly not the pressure a drop could put on. We still do not know if the horse has physical issues, he certainly has to be ridden with tact and is fine as long as he understands what is being asked of him. We have ridden him in a normal bridle without problems recently. Maybe he was having a tantrum, at the time the prospect of a large half shire threatening to flip backwards could not be ignored.

The one I was given is lovely and soft. I do think you need to consider why you want to use it, but I am old fashioned and prefer to see horses in plain flat brown leather. All these stitched, raised blingy jobs leave me cold. A quality head does not need bling.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you watch one in use you can see that the key difference between these and other bridles is that the cheek piece never moves. It just sits on the face. With a normal bridle, the cheek piece bends and moves every time you use the reins and every time the horse tongues the bit. So if you have a horse with nerve issues which are bothered by the movement on top of the trigeminal nerve, they can work wonders.

rachk89

Visit site
I probably wouldn't bother. Have seen many horses in them and they still act stupid. It made no difference to one horse that is majorly sensitive. It's a lot of money for a bridle that isn't all that special.

claracanter

Visit site
My horse goes better in one but my saddler is singing the virtues of the new fairfax bridle, which apparently is a step up from the Micklem. Price is eye watering though so not an option for me.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The fairfax is yet another bridle that can be winched around the sensitive nose and molar areas. The square noseband is horrible. To me is says look at me I am padded and therefore you can do me up as tight as you like and the horse will not mind.

It is fascinating to look at a skull and be able to recognise where all those tight straps are actually sitting. It matters not how padded the bridle is, the constriction in the mouth is the same. How many people will part with hundreds thinking their young gobby horse needs a super special bridle, when in reality the teeth are moving or the horse has neck ache from holding himself incorrectly because his mouth is not relaxed. I really do think horse comfort is being sacrificed for fashion.

Shuffles back into her cave knowing full well that the next brown flat hunter bridle with a 3" noseband that sits where is should, will have to be made. If I can find a saddler to make it.