Considering new horse purchase (Irish Draught)

Visit site
Hello; I posted this in the introductions section and someone kindly suggested I posted here, after a thirty year break from horse ownership ( In my teens had a very lazy welsh cob, a definitely not lazy Connemara and a thoroughbred on loan while I retook my A Levels) I have decided to return to the world of horse ownership; I have a horse mad teenage daughter and we have had a horse and pony under a part loan arrangement for the past year. My husband is non-horsey but has finally been persuaded of the benefits of horse ownership; and has agreed to contribute to the "running costs." After the events of the last year I have decided that one never knows what is around the corner and if I don't want to look back in ten years and regret not having my own. Initially I was going to purchase one for my daughter that I could ride as well; but I am 5ft 10 and very long of leg and she is currently 5ft 3 so rather than get something that is likely to be too small for me we have decided that I will get a horse for me that she can ride in the future; her share pony will be big enough for her for at least the next two years. I am considering purchasing a four year old Irish Draught Mare and will be going to see her in April once the current restrictions on travel end; she is younger than I originally planned to consider. If I do proceed I will be getting someone to do further schooling with her on my behalf. (I am very lucky to have some professional horse friends who are far more knowledgeable than me.) If she isn't quite right for me I will be actively searching for an alternative and definitely hope to have one an equine friend of my own by the end of the summer. I am very excited and rather nervous and wonder if I am totally mad for even considering a younger horse! It would be really help to hear about other people's experience of Irish Draughts.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yes, you are mad for considering a young horse (there's a saying that you should never put green with green) but yes, absolutely IDs are fabulous and you should definitely get one!

I am also a 5'11" lady in her *cough* forties who bought a green ID on a whim. She's a fabulous horse, so gentle and kind, and we have all sorts of amazing adventures together, and my son and OH both ride her occasionally (OH hacked her out on Sunday and she was so kind with him). I do wish her education was further along when I bought her though, she's now 10 and I'm still getting her schooled by a pro as there's a lot of stuff I can't teach her, and there are bad habits that we've both developed together.

When you're ready to buy, make sure you listen to advice, make sure you get a vetting and a knowledgeable friend/pro to view the horse with you. Good luck!

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
No better breed ! We bought a green ID for my daughter, one of the pro riders told me we where bonkers to get one so young.. but he had to eat his words . Finn was and still is an absolute gent. Hes only 16hds so a nice size. I bought my girl when she was 4 and just off the lunge. So i had pro riders help out at first and shes been a total star. We started with them riding first and i would get on at the end, then the time would reduce so they would do 20 mins, and me 10, then 15 mins etc etc

Not all horses are the same and some are more quirky than others, but it sounds as if you are prepared for that. Just make sure you dont do too much too soon. Its easy to push them to hard when they are so willing. Less is more with them

Good luck and i look forward to photos

mini_b

Visit site
I agree with the others sentiments about getting one so young - if you have a lot of help from a pro however it might work if the temperament is right. Some ID’s are horizontal but many can be quite hot.

ID’s and true ISH are a great all rounder first horse I think In my extremely biased opinion!

a recent thread...lots of input from fellow ID addicts.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/tell-me-everything-about-irish-draughts.802537/

Annagain

Visit site
If you're anywhere near the south of England (or prepared to travel), have a look at NB Equine on Facebook. She has a lovely 6 yr old ID in at the moment. She doesn't have lots of horses as her business is quite small but the ones she has are lovely. She focuses on getting the right temperament. I've been really pleased with the ID / ISH (unrecorded breeding but a lot of ID if not 100%) I had from her last year.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Look for something older and wiser to look after you and show you the ropes. Then you can just crack on with having fun. Fun rides, clinics, shows, .... all these lovely things you can do straight away with an established older horse. Luxury

And agreed, you cant beat a nice ID :)

Bernster

Visit site
Youngest I’ve gone for was a 5yo, just turning 5 at the time. Fab boy, great horse but has needed a lot of training and help from others to keep him going in the right direction. Personally I wouldn’t go for a 4yo as they will likely be very green and a big learning curve on top of everything else. But not out of the question if you have a good set up and knowledgeable help.

irishdraft

Visit site
I love IDS and have 2 but don't be fooled by the fact they are draught horses they can be as reactive as the next horse especially when young . So I think buy an older established horse that you can have fun on although I am a sucker for an I D mare especially if she's grey .

spacefaer

Visit site
We have had Irish draughts for decades and love them. I would be very careful about buying a 4 year old with your limited recent experience.
In our experience, 4 year olds are lovely, generally quite sweet and can be looking for leadership.
5 year old draughts can be a whole different kettle of fish as they mature and start to find their place in the world.... it's good that you have professional help but young draughts can test you in many ways on a daily basis!

Bear in mind too, that a 4 year old is well off a mature draught in height and build I've known them increase in height by as much as a hand before they're mature and almost double in bulk too.

If you can find yourself an older one, which knows enough to be fun so you can go out and do stuff without worrying about doing too much with a young horse, I think you'd be better served ?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If you want to have safe, consistent fun right from the start, then don't buy anything under seven. And buy something that does what you want to do. I'm definitely not a fan of Irish Draughts, so will zip my lip on that aspect.

spacefaer

Visit site
The joy about the Irish breeding lines is that you can judge their temperament by their bloodlines. For example, horses by Fast Silver or Mountain Pearl tend to have much more easy going, accepting temperaments than some of the other lines
(And I know there are exceptions ?)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hello; I posted this in the introductions section and someone kindly suggested I posted here, after a thirty year break from horse ownership ( In my teens had a very lazy welsh cob, a definitely not lazy Connemara and a thoroughbred on loan while I retook my A Levels) I have decided to return to the world of horse ownership; I have a horse mad teenage daughter and we have had a horse and pony under a part loan arrangement for the past year. My husband is non-horsey but has finally been persuaded of the benefits of horse ownership; and has agreed to contribute to the "running costs." After the events of the last year I have decided that one never knows what is around the corner and if I don't want to look back in ten years and regret not having my own. Initially I was going to purchase one for my daughter that I could ride as well; but I am 5ft 10 and very long of leg and she is currently 5ft 3 so rather than get something that is likely to be too small for me we have decided that I will get a horse for me that she can ride in the future; her share pony will be big enough for her for at least the next two years. I am considering purchasing a four year old Irish Draught Mare and will be going to see her in April once the current restrictions on travel end; she is younger than I originally planned to consider. If I do proceed I will be getting someone to do further schooling with her on my behalf. (I am very lucky to have some professional horse friends who are far more knowledgeable than me.) If she isn't quite right for me I will be actively searching for an alternative and definitely hope to have one an equine friend of my own by the end of the summer. I am very excited and rather nervous and wonder if I am totally mad for even considering a younger horse! It would be really help to hear about other people's experience of Irish Draughts.
I am on my second ID my first was a cross with TB and was less spooky than this one, I love an ID or IDX but take it slowly, mine was jumping pre 5 which is too young for an large ID. Take schooling slowly and you will have a horse in a 1000000. M9ine is mega spooky and reactive to noise and visual, but most like comes from her past.

Asha

Visit site
We have had Irish draughts for decades and love them. I would be very careful about buying a 4 year old with your limited recent experience.
In our experience, 4 year olds are lovely, generally quite sweet and can be looking for leadership.
5 year old draughts can be a whole different kettle of fish as they mature and start to find their place in the world.... it's good that you have professional help but young draughts can test you in many ways on a daily basis!

Bear in mind too, that a 4 year old is well off a mature draught in height and build I've known them increase in height by as much as a hand before they're mature and almost double in bulk too.

If you can find yourself an older one, which knows enough to be fun so you can go out and do stuff without worrying about doing too much with a young horse, I think you'd be better served ?

to be fair you can say that about most breeds .
4yo usually willing and accepting and then you get to the Kevin’s 5-6yo and they start to challenge. The difference with the ID is that they are not as athletic as a WB and their Kevin’s are quite as OTT

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I love Irish draughts, mine is an absolute star. I bought him as a 5 year old and the best thing I did was budget for lots of support. While most the time he is an angel he can he can be massively opinionated and is very good at being lazy and great at taking advantage. If you have a youngster, make sure you have the right support and at least weekly lessons so you go in the right direction

Kaylum

Visit site
Depends who as started her off. At 4 ours would have been ridden out, been down town and out in the box. Doing the basics out of the school rather than round in circles in a school.

They learn so much more out and about. Breeding also plays a big part. What's her breeding?

Ceriann

Visit site
I really wouldn’t buy a youngster. I did, having had two and managed very well with both, and didn’t appreciate how different my circumstances were and/or how lucky I’d been in the past. She was very hard work and shattered my confidence. All were ID crosses. Bought an 8 year old ISH, well schooled and done a bit - she’s been amazing for me. I still have wobbles (not sure my confidence will ever be quite the same) but with her I can work through it. Go for something older that will allow you to ease back into riding.

Visit site
Update. Thank you everyone who took the time to reply. I did go and view the mare in question and decided not to proceed as although very good for her age I felt she needed someone more experienced than me to bring out the best in her. She was also 16.1 plus and bum high so I imagine had quite a bit of growing to do as she isn't four until May. In the meantime an eight year old irish sports horse had come up locally to me. She is a little green in her schooling but well within my capabilities and is a lovely hack. My thirteen year old has ridden her and loved her. Shes 15.2 which was at the lower end of the height range I was considering as I'm 5 10 but she rode bigger and I didn't feel under horsed. My daughter is 5ft 4 ish so she will suit both of us. The irish draught probably had more natural ability but this horse is much more right for me. I can also put her straight on DIY livery at the yard five minutes drive away which I couldn't have done with the Irish draught as I would have needed her on full/ schooling livery for her at least to start with. I will hopefully be bringing her home next week, subject to vetting.

Visit site
Thank you again. Looking forward to being a horse owner again. Had a momentary panic in the middle of the night wondering if I should have bought the Irish Draught but she needed a more competent rider than me at this stage of her education. She also had the ability to hunt/ event which I wont be doing. Our new friend will be a lovely hack for me and will pop round an 80 cm course with my daughter at pony club. I'm booking the vetting tomorrow and compiling a shopping list

Head collars bought.
Bridle coming with her.
Saddle present from my Mum.
Have wheelbarrow and poo picking equipment.
Will need shovel, broom and shaving fork.
Have grooming kit.
Will need buckets, hay net., food bucket and bin to keep her food in
Planning on getting a couple of light weight second hand rugs for now as she is clipped and the weather is so changeable at present
Travel boots, one of my friends has offered to fetch her for me.
Electric fencing is likely to be needed to subdivide her field.
The DIY yard sell hay and shavings on site I have asked her owner what she is currently fed and will buy the same. Is there anything else very obvious I need to buy/ think about .
She will need showing in three to four weeks so I will speak to the DIY yard manager and get her booked in with not of the farriers who already visits the yard.
Any recommendations equine insurance?

Thank you again for reading.

Mule

Visit site
If you want to have safe, consistent fun right from the start, then don't buy anything under seven. And buy something that does what you want to do. I'm definitely not a fan of Irish Draughts, so will zip my lip on that aspect.
Sacrilege :eek:

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Perhaps a fly rug and mask for when we actually get summer!! Sounds like you have it mostly covered. Of course there will be things that you want but dont really need!! I insure with horse emporium. Used to be E and L. A few people have had a disaster with them but I have used them for years and years and have never had a problem. They are very reasonably priced.