constapation in colt foals??

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
one of my colt foals this year became severely constapated luckily my vet after alot of hard work solved the problem and all is fine now.
however recently i was talking to the same vet and asked him if there was a common cause in constapation in newborn foals (thinking i maybe able to prevent it in future) and he said that it only really ever occurrs in overdue colt foals, well my foal was 19days early,
however the mare was covered in her previous cycle and was not scanned as she APPEARED to come back into season. So would it be possible that she did actually concieve the first covering but if she did then surely the scan should have shown a larger foetus???
Any suggestions oppinions welcome its prob me bein silly but it does have me puzzled.

lennysmith

Visit site
Denver was constipated to begin with, but then went the other way and got the squits!!!!

We dont know if he was late or not for sure. But josie was showing signs of foaling for at least 10 days ( bagged up really waxing, then dripping milk) and vet is quite sure he was about a week if not a little more over.

Dont suppose this really helps much does it? Sorry xxx

_jetset_

Visit site
I would say that the vet would know if the foetus was bigger than it should be... I suspect that your mare took on the second attempt rather than the first.

S_N

Visit site
Have never heard of that one!! Usually, as long as plenty of enema is administered, then there is not often any probs.

sallyf

Visit site

Constipation is usually associated with T.B colt foals as they have a narrow pelvic space at birth.
Not neccesarily late .
ironically enough we had a filly foal this year born 2 weeks early that despite help on more than one occasion was very sick indeed .
Fortunately after fairly drastic action she finally moved everything but it was touch and go for a while.
Unlikely a pregnancy from first covering as you say foetus on scan would be a lot differant.
Anyway if an in foal mare was covered she would most likely lose the pregnancy she was carrying .
It would be very difficult to breech the cervical barrier if the mare was in foal and the biggest risk would come from mare being torn by the stallion.