Constuctive Critics please

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
Hi all

Have ventured into buying and selling: and hopefully this is the first of many....
Let me know your honest thoughts.
She is a 10 year old mare TBx not done much before and last 4 months in a field. Fantastic temperment but not a novice ride. Goes around with head up and 300MPH!!!!

Hey ho - am looking to bring her on - or should that be settle her and sell her for a junior or small adult as only 15.1.

The photo isnt great as in her stable in quarantine so cant get her out, but she is looking 10 times better than when we seen her trust me!!

many thanks for your honest thoughts, also an idea what you would pay for her when ready for selling. She loads, clips, traffic , shoes etc with not a bat of an eye my 9 year old niece grooms her etc....

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
She looks a nice enough filly, but not one I would buy to sell personally. Being on the smaller side, being a 'not novice ride' isnt brilliant unless she has bags of scope and potential - which she hasnt due to her age.
Its all very well settling her and selling on, but that takes time and money.
If she was 5/6yo I would pay up to £800, I wouldnt consider a 10yo.

Tia

Visit site
You may find difficulty in selling her. She is too small for a decent adult rider. If you can find a competent child rider then they may be interested but my experience has always been 14.2hh's are fantastic sellers, 16.2hh's are good sellers but 15.2hh's are waaaaay slower to move on!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Depends on how professional you are about things. If you are going to do it properly and take your time I would buy her (but it is hardly worth your while as you are never going to make the money she will cost you in keep back) for about £1200. Considering she runs round with her head in the air I don’t recon its going to be a ‘feed em up, bath and sell them on job’ If you are going to wack her head down with some sort of gadget and then bully her, a la some of the less reputable dealers in the horse world, I wouldn’t give you a penny. Sorry!
Whilst we are on the subject, for next time you buy something to sell on, the best thing to do (I think) is by something younger, a bit poor and laid back. Feed it up, bath it, and ride it like you would any other laid back horse – school it a bit, take it out to sponsored rides/xc/hunting (as much as you can) Good, safe allrounder types that are easy for you will be easy for everyone else and therefore very sellable. You should be aiming to have the horse for 3 month maximum!
I personally wouldn’t buy anything with no white on it either, don’t know why but I just wouldn’t!
Good Luck!

sojeph

Visit site
She looks like a lovely little mare. I'd be put off by her zooming along with her head in the air though. At 10yrs old even after 4 months in the field I'd expect her to know better than that although it could be something simple like a sharp tooth! No idea on price I'm afraid - she's not my type although she probably would be my daughters in a year or so!!
grin.gif
Good luck with her anyway.

HelenPolly

Visit site
Hi,

She looks a nice sturdy type suitable for any disipline, but a little old at 10 maybe to make any significant profit? especially as she hasn't done anything or have a track record. Saying that, if she's easy to bring on I don't think you'll have any probs selling her on. Not everyone's obsessed about age and height!

My friend's very successful at the buying and selling game (one of those types that could sell sand to the arabs!), his tips would be become an expert on conformation, buy young, and shift on as quickly as possible. He always makes it sound like a car dealership but then I suppose its not that different. Buy with your head not your heart, trust your gut feelings and don't get attached to them.

Good luck!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Um, I agree with Tia again (what is going on this afternoon Tia! LOL!)
Apart from if you are going to sell her for a kid coming off a pony (in which case she doesn’t sound safe or forgiving enough?)
Also, at 10 years old you are going to spend more time sorting out everyone else’s problems and she is more likely to have hidden stuff wrong with her (DJD, changes to the navicular bone etc) which would be a problem.

sherwood'

Visit site
she looks very sweet. And i for one love horses wihtout any white- my last few havent had any- much better for cleaning for shows!

Tia

Visit site
I also loved solid coloured horses with no white......BUT from a selling-on point of view I have found that people do not tend to warm to these sorts of horses. People do tend to want something with stockings and blazes and preferably NOT brown LOL!!

I never ever buy bland brown horses as sellers on......however for my personal uses I almost always buy brown horses because I have found them to be the most consistent and they are in abundance.

Weezy

Visit site
I would say tops £800 and that might be pshing it! TBH it sounds like she needs a LOT of work and once you have factored in costs to keep her running I dont think she will give mch return - sorry!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I agree with the above. Looks quite a sweet little mare but the age and height thing would put me straight off for selling on.

I have a completely bay horse with no markings and I don't like it much! Makes his face a bit characterless! Also hard to see in the dark!

watcherathome

Visit site
Sadly she is not worth more than £1000 now, and will never be worth more than that, once you add in what it is going to cost you to keep her, you will only lose money..unless you can get her for £300 or so

GTs

Visit site
She sounds like a retired polo pony - small, looks the part, 4 months off, and runs around with her head in the air, quiet for everything.........

Not sure what do if she is - polo ponies are unique, if she is sound I would get her playing next year and sell her quick.

debbielinder

Visit site
it wouldnt put me of it having no white i quite like them! her size also wouldnt put me off mine is only 15.1 has bags of scope and a hell of alot more character than a lot of big horses i know. mines a bit chunkier tho if she moves well and has a good jump think would be ideal for a compitant teenager to do a bit of everything on. i live in north west and dunno if its just up her but 15hh horses sell really well

Tia

Visit site
Well you are one person......when dealers sell, we do tend to go for something that appeals to more than just one person.
smile.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
!!!! Tia agree that appealing to the masses is a good way to sell a horse...also, now you have said it GT, she lDOES ook like a polo pony....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Talking about polo ponies. I had someone come to try a horse the other day, the last horse they tried was a 16yo polo pony. Get this - £3500 asking price. I have people ringing me up all the time for polo ponies - £1500 is always their top offer.