Consumer rights help please

sarah23

Visit site
Say if you buy an item and you get it home and it's not quite what you want or you changed your mind and don't want it (so nothing wrong with it) what are your consumer right if any on taking it back and getting a refund.

Please don't jump on me it's not me I just heard something today and I wanted to know how was right and how was wrong.

Thanks

heresannie

Visit site
As far as i know, you have no right to take something back for a refund unless its faulty. however, most shops will take stuff back as long as its unopened and you have a reciept, so they can resell it. they may only offer you vouchers though, all depends what it is and what shop? A lot will help all they can but they wont be prepared to make a loss. hope this helps :)

sarah23

Visit site
Thanks that's what I thought.
This other women was shouting her mouth off how she know her rights that she had been in retail for 30yrs and she could return an item if it wasn't right and she was entitled to a refund.

heresannie

Visit site
i work in retail too, and as far as im aware consumer right cover stuff like not being fit for purpose, faulty etc not if a person simply changes their mind. if it is a chain store she may be in luck, but as above would have to be in a condition where it could be resold for full price

heresannie

Visit site
(sorry pressed post by mistake!) most will as good customer service but independents are very.unlikely too as cant afford a loss to their profits. if she goes in all guns blazing stating how she has worked in retail, they will prob tell her no chance, i hate taking anything back and i manage a shop.and deal with it everyday! :)

sarah23

Visit site
It was a smallest shop. It was where I work and it was 2 packets of electrolytes at £1.95 each. It wasn't so much that we couldn't resell it but more why should we take it back. It was just this women was so rude and shouting her mouth off on how right she was.

heresannie

Visit site
I hate people like that but am stuck in a chain store so quite often get told by h/office to take back, makes me cross! if it was sown to me id tell her no!

sarahann1

Visit site
Hated giving refunds to rude people, in fact rude people still get the minimum of help from of now with the most annoying sickly sweet smile from me :)

In that instance its your discretion if you take it back or not as technically the goods are not faulty, just the customer bought the wrong thing. If the customer was nice and apologetic i would refund with a smile no question. Obv packaging would need to be ok etc, its nice to be nice :)

maisie06

Visit site
It was a smallest shop. It was where I work and it was 2 packets of electrolytes at £1.95 each. It wasn't so much that we couldn't resell it but more why should we take it back. It was just this women was so rude and shouting her mouth off on how right she was.

We would have refused to take it back. How do we know it hasn't been tampered with? And if customers are very rude they are very unlikely to get anywhere if they are in the wrong. We do not accept feed back unless there is something wrong - eg mouldy, but if they change their mind or simply don't want it - hard luck we cannot afford to contaminate our feed store if they have brought a bag back that may have been in contact with rats, feed mite, weevils etc.
We will take back footwear if wrong size and other odds and sods as long as it is in the condition it was in when it left the shop - generally we have a 28 days rule on this. And they MUST have a reciept - you wouldn't believe the amount of people who try to return stuff to us that we don't sell and have never sold!!!