Contact? Does anyone teach it?

_GG_

Visit site
Hah, my main problem is that lots of instructors "assume" knowledge, or can't explain it when asked - I think I mentioned earlier about being asked how to half halt as I had assumed the rider knew as I had been mentioning it during previous lessons but I straight away explained how, where, when, and why and that there are different types of half halt.

I get infuriated by instructors that have a "just get on with it" attitude and seem to get angry and offended if you ask further questions about an exercise or thing you have been asked to do.

Good instructors are great and good riding schools even better, but finding them is the problem, and often they are not local! (My closest excellent school is an hours drive away! And almost £80 a lesson) :)

I am not a qualified instructor, anyone I teach knows this and they choose me anyway. When I have asked why, the answer has almost exclusively been, "because you actually explain things and in a way that makes sense". It amazes me how many, even highly qualified instructors can't explain properly or can explain the aids, but not necessarily the reasons behind them. I always encourage people to have lessons with different instructors as well....I think it is vitally important to learn different peoples ways of doing things in order to broaden knowledge and find your own way. That said...it only works if you pick instructors that can actually explain their teachings clearly, many can't.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I've just read this whole thread and I have recently found an instructor who can actually explain how and why and for the first time ever I'm learning about feel!!! I thought "feel"was some magical force gifted to you at birth!!! I didn't realise that you feel what you feel and it's all about interpreting that and making adjustments accordingly, which you can learn how to do!!!. I just thought I had crap / non-existent feel and had to live with it. This is from the feedback of riding instructors from the past 25 years (omg) one of which was a list one judge I used to work for!!!

GG I have now found my instructor who can explain things clearly. It makes me realise that SOME of the other instructors were trying to teach me correctly, just couldn't explain!!! Some were, on the other hand, just crap!!!

_GG_

Visit site
I've just read this whole thread and I have recently found an instructor who can actually explain how and why and for the first time ever I'm learning about feel!!! I thought "feel"was some magical force gifted to you at birth!!! I didn't realise that you feel what you feel and it's all about interpreting that and making adjustments accordingly, which you can learn how to do!!!. I just thought I had crap / non-existent feel and had to live with it. This is from the feedback of riding instructors from the past 25 years (omg) one of which was a list one judge I used to work for!!!

GG I have now found my instructor who can explain things clearly. It makes me realise that SOME of the other instructors were trying to teach me correctly, just couldn't explain!!! Some were, on the other hand, just crap!!!

I'm really pleased for you. I also don't want to get instructor bashing...there are many brilliant instructors around. I think it possibly may be worth remembering sometimes that not everyone makes a good teacher and being good at something yourself doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at teaching it ;) xx

vanessa9360

New User
Visit site
Pearlsasinger, agree there, I was judging a senior equitation class, asked for a show to include trot without stirrups, a rein back and a turn on the forehand.
I had comments from one, why teach your horse to run back, and what use are turns on the forehand, she then proceeded to tell the rest of the line up how Her instructor said her horse will qualify for HOYS, and she would win this. My steward and me just managed to keep a straight face when she slid all over the saddle and had to use pommel to keep on with no stirrups, she came last !!.
I asked her who her instructor was and it was someone from myerscough, I then explained the use of rein backs and turns on forehand, she looked even more cheesed off as the late Bob Templeton was stood nearby and advised her to listen to good advice and change instructor.

_GG_

Visit site
Pearlsasinger, agree there, I was judging a senior equitation class, asked for a show to include trot without stirrups, a rein back and a turn on the forehand.
I had comments from one, why teach your horse to run back, and what use are turns on the forehand, she then proceeded to tell the rest of the line up how Her instructor said her horse will qualify for HOYS, and she would win this. My steward and me just managed to keep a straight face when she slid all over the saddle and had to use pommel to keep on with no stirrups, she came last !!.
I asked her who her instructor was and it was someone from myerscough, I then explained the use of rein backs and turns on forehand, she looked even more cheesed off as the late Bob Templeton was stood nearby and advised her to listen to good advice and change instructor.

Haha! Bet that felt good :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm really pleased for you. I also don't want to get instructor bashing...there are many brilliant instructors around. I think it possibly may be worth remembering sometimes that not everyone makes a good teacher and being good at something yourself doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at teaching it ;) xx

And also, instruction is a really personal thing. Just because a particular instructor can't get the best from you doesn't mean they are automatically rubbish. Sometimes you just don't get on with a certain person, yet they can have others going incredibly well. I suppose you could argue that a really good teacher can get the best from everyone, but I don't think it's that simplistic.

_GG_

Visit site
And also, instruction is a really personal thing. Just because a particular instructor can't get the best from you doesn't mean they are automatically rubbish. Sometimes you just don't get on with a certain person, yet they can have others going incredibly well. I suppose you could argue that a really good teacher can get the best from everyone, but I don't think it's that simplistic.

No, it's not. One of the instructors at Hartpury was loved by most, but I dreaded lessons with her. Nobody understood why...even me, I just did not get on with her and that was no reflection of her ability as an instructor.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com

Oh I absolutely agree. My old boss is an amazing rider but I was 16 and she just couldn't explain things to me. One of my more recent instructors (lady) was great on one mare (who she knew well and rode) but couldn't teach me to ride a different horse well at all, despite riding him well herself. I just didn't get it.

With my new instructor (male) we just click (and tbh is a bit of a life coach to me too at times as he 'gets' me). Now I've got better understanding from him I could prob go back to the lady and it would make more sense. He just has a great way of explaining everything and has taught me on a few different horses too!!