Contacting private yards?

SOS

Visit site
I am moving around 25 minutes away from where I live now when our house sale goes through. But despite it being a very horsey area there seems to be a real lack of livery yards and of the very few that are with a 15/20 minute radius they have dealbreakers such as, not offering turnout in the winter, small stables etc. So struggling to find anything suitable.

A look on google maps shows two houses in the village with large equestrian facilities. There is also a nearby village I drive through which has a small empty yard (has been for around a year) with stables, hardcore and large paddock which would be perfect.

How would you find out who owns these and ask the question re livery? Or would it be rude to post a polite letter enquiring? With the empty yard, it is next too, but not joined too, a house, would you knock on the door and ask who owns it?

Starting to panic I have bought a house in an area with no suitable livery yards but my last few yards have all been private bar one so hoping something will come up.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have folk popping into my yard regularly to ask about livery, tho I decline. They do often ask about potential other yards too.
I admit I don't tend to respond to notes left, having got caught in a textathon once! ?
Def worth taking some time out and asking in person, also try local Facebook groups.
Good luck.

teddy_

Visit site
I suppose it depends what type of livery you're after.

If you're looking for part or full, it could be worth finding out what professionals are in the area and dropping them a line on Facebook or a website enquiry. This is what I have done in the past and have been pleasantly surprised :).

DIY or assisted could be trickier to locate as very few have websites. Maybe call tack shops in the area?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
We don't know the area, maybe if out post the county or rough area, some people on here can advise.
Maybe ask at the local post office or church or put a sign on the gate or put an ad at local post office or shop. Someone is bound to know, is there a local newspaper in the area you could post in.

Yes I would knock on the door of the house next door. Nothing ventured nothing gained , or if you don't ask you don't get.

asmp

Visit site
I once found a place to keep my horse when i moved to a new area by asking the secretary at a local show. Are there any Riding or Pony Clubs in the area who might know of something? Farriers are another possibility.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Definitely drop a nice note through the door explaining you're new to the area and looking for livery for your horse. I've done that in the past and it's worked well. ?

ETA: Also, it's there a BE event near to your new property? If so, see if there's a stabling list on their website, as that's often a good source of yard info. You can tell we've moved a lot over the years!

Last edited:

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
We have had people knock on the door before, I don’t mind, maybe a polite note avoids putting them on the spot a bit more.
I second trying to find out what professionals are in your area. They are often quite happy to have a livery or two for the regular income stream. Although it will probably be full/part livery only.

Birker2020

Visit site
We don't know the area, maybe if out post the county or rough area, some people on here can advise.
Maybe ask at the local post office or church or put a sign on the gate or put an ad at local post office or shop. Someone is bound to know, is there a local newspaper in the area you could post in.

Yes I would knock on the door of the house next door. Nothing ventured nothing gained , or if you don't ask you don't get.
https://www.*******.co.uk/

I have a comprehensive list on memory stick for yards in Warwickshire/Solihull border. Not sure if all the numbers are up to date as it goes back to 2016 when I compiled it but you are welcome if that's where you ae looking so is anyone else if they PM me their email address.

Boulty

Visit site
I found my current yard through a polite note in the letterbox (& dropped very lucky with the timing being right) so would say go ahead & worst that can happen is they don't reply. Would be tempted to knock on the door of the house near the empty yard. If they do own it & aren't horsey it might not have occurred to them that someone might want to rent it

Birker2020

Visit site
I found my current yard through a polite note in the letterbox (& dropped very lucky with the timing being right) so would say go ahead & worst that can happen is they don't reply. Would be tempted to knock on the door of the house near the empty yard. If they do own it & aren't horsey it might not have occurred to them that someone might want to rent it
Good idea. That's how I found one of my horses by leaving a note on someone's lorry at a show. I'd printed off a load of flyers and it seemed to me the best way to get the word out, and the cheapest!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
https://www.*******.co.uk/

I have a comprehensive list on memory stick for yards in Warwickshire/Solihull border. Not sure if all the numbers are up to date as it goes back to 2016 when I compiled it but you are welcome if that's where you ae looking so is anyone else if they PM me their email address.
There is also this new website. Looks fairly new, I have had a look at it. https://amazingrazing.co.uk/

Havital

Visit site
I found my place from walking the dog near the yard and then asking a man who was nearby. Turns out he was running the place and he had a space! It is usually luck and good timing but if you know any horsey people they are bound to know.

SOS

Visit site
Thankyou this is all really useful and I am glad that there is a consensus that a polite note or knock on the door is not out of place. I have no issue with being turned down but as many have said, you don’t ask you don’t get!

I have ridden with the hunt for that area before and was considering ringing the secretary to ask if they knew of any yards. I only have one horse now and am basically open to any kind of livery, ideally part/assisted but equally for the right yard full or DIY. My horse hunted extensively with the hunt in that area before I bought him, so he is well known for being well behaved which should help too!

Annoyingly without being very specific to the area, which I don’t really want to do, I can’t share the location. It’s within Leicestershire which is where I am now. It’s a strange county as how the crow flies the new house is rather close but once you’ve taken the winding country roads there it’s too far to stay at my current yard.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have posted notes and then followed up. Personally, I always disliked people cold-calling about the yard I had before but then they were quite rude about it. When I moved to current area, I basically wrote to local farmers/landowners and then followed up with a call in person. It does help if you know people who know people in the area-vets etc

HorseMaid

Visit site
You can also find out who owns somewhere by looking up the deeds on the land registry, I enquired about a yard this way, turned out the owner lived in the USA so knocking on doors wouldn't have helped!