Contacting the stallion owner / stud for the first time

Rainbowrider

Visit site
When you have found a stallion you would like to use, and you have found a vets where the mare can go to be AI'd, presumably the next step is to contact the stallion owner?

I am not sure how to go about it? Do you assume they want to sell you some semen, or do you say you would love to use their stallion and would this be acceptable to them?

(I have bred a foal from my mare before, but used natural covering at a local stud, where I knew the owners from the show circuit).

Any advice on this appreciated...what did you do?
confused.gif

holiday

www.bathleyhillfarmlivery.com
I would say Maestro is answering your question. I would also ask if the stallion is available all the time or if he will be competing at times, theres nothing more frustrating than setting a mare up then finding out the semen wont be available. Also check what notice the stud needs, some stallions need a mare in season to collect and like to be forwarned.

Springs

Visit site
Hi all,

It's best to get in contact as soon as possible with the proposed stallion owners as your chosen one may be competing etc, so fresh may not be available and you may have to go for chilled or frozen.

As a stallion owner I would prefer to be contacted sooner rather than later.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Yes, have a chat with the stallion owner and arrange a visit to go and see him if possible.
As others have said, check the terms carefully as they do vary so and also the availability of the stallion.
Good Luck.
smile.gif