Contemplating selling (

JadeWisc

Visit site
I am thinking about selling my 5 yr old AQHA Gelding.
I have had many horses in my family come and go in my life and I have been sad, but it was never in my hands. Chester is the first horse that I bought on my own and am entirely responsible for. I am just finding the thought of the whole thing very sad and stressful. The truth is he is phenomenal. He is calm,smart,gorgeouus, and virtually spook free. I love him in every way except I have to be honest with myself that I cannot take him to his full potential. I bought him as a newly turned 3 yr old. he is 5 now and I am now realising he and I may not be the best match.
confused.gif
frown.gif

He deserves to be with someone that has the ability , time, and knowledge to make him the GREAT horse that he is all around. His breeding and background are some of the best AQHA horses that are/have ever been in the business.I also feel that he is show potential and I am only interested in trail and hacking right now for me and my family.With my 3 kids I think that I should find a more trail suited older(10 ish) horse that will suit us better and needs less work. We also have another 2 yr old gelding (his brother) that is going need alot of time . The problem is that I cannot seem to come to terms with the idea of letting him go. I think Sorry to whine about it,this has just been on my mind. I need some coaxing and reassuring that I am doing the right thing and not copping out or giving up on him and myself (myself really) I just think it is the best for both of us.

pixie

Visit site
Does he seem happy with what you do with him? If he's happy and you enjoy riding him, then I don't see the problem.

Seriously, horses are not ambitious! They're happy knowing that they have a constant supply of food and water, space for a bit of a run around, and some cuddles.

JadeWisc

Visit site
he is happy Pixie
smile.gif
...but he is not to his full training needs. He does not neck reign yet....he does act up and needs a very confident disciplined hand, and he really should be (at his age) with someone who has the time to put the miles on him. With as good of a horse in every other way that he is , I would hate to see this stage in his life go by with what he needs as far as work goes.When they are younger I feel that riding very often, as in most everyday, makes them better horses. I have no time for that with him. By the time I am done with my chores with the animlas and household duties I usually have to save all of my riding for the weekends.I also have a 12 yr old daughter that I would love to see be able to just Hop on and older docile horse and head off to build her confidence.
smirk.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
ok...now it is getting very real
tongue.gif

A man just left ,that rides him often, and wants him. He made me an offer on the spot when I mentioned possible sale. I have to get over it and make up my mind and deal with this. I am just so scared that I will have regrets

pixie

Visit site
How about you fully loan your horse to him and see how you cope with it, and suggest that you discuss whether he wants to buy it or not in 6 months.

If you're going to sell him, you'll feel better if its someone you know and trust.

Tia

Visit site
Do you like this man? Does your horse like this man? Will they look after each other and make each other happy? Can he afford to keep the horse in a good and decent manner?

Figure this out and then you will have your answer.
smile.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
The man loves him....He is very good with Chester and "makes" him listen but not in an over harsh way. Chester for some reason has always responded to men differently/better. They live very close by as well. I wouldnt call them a "wealthy" family by any means, but both he and wife are working so I assume (without knowing and not wanting to ask) that money is ok with them. whats happens down the road I suppose would be out of my hands. I can only hope for the perfect ending and try my hardest to turn it in that direction from the start

Bess

Visit site
It sounds to me like this man is the perfect buyer for the horse, he already knows him and likes him. And it would leave you time for your other horse.