Contemplating shoes ....

Greylegs

Visit site
... on a horse which has been barefoot all of his 17 years.

For some reason, my highland - who has been barefoot all his life (now 17) - is seeing greatly increased wear and tear to his feet, mainly the fronts. He's kept at livery at a good yard, with daily turnout and in at night over the winter. I ride him either in the school (good surface), on grass tracks round the farm and very occasionally on road hacks, which he's done twice in the last month. He's fed HiFi Lite and Bailey's LoCal Balancer with ad lib hay, and stabled on rubber mats with a generous straw bed. He's generally fit and well with no obvious health issues.

The frustrating thing is that he's hacked on the roads in the area for over 5 years since I got him, but the council have recently re-surfaced the local lanes with granite chip and it seems to be far more abrasive than the old surfaces which is making the difference. I have bought boots for his fronts (Equine Fusion All Terrains) but they are difficult to put on, twist round in use and are generally a complete pain to use. I bough them from a reputable supplier who came out to fit him so i'm confident that they're the right size etc. This is my second attempt at boots: at least he does walk in these, whereas he refused to budge a step in the previous sort.

My farrier was on the yard yesterday shoeing the horse next door, so had a quick look at him, although his next trim isn't due for four weeks. He's quite concerned about the degree of wear to his front feet and has told me to use the boots whenever I'm hacking until he sees him again, which i'll do, of course. He's now talking about me considering shoeing him in front.

Obviously, I don't really want to go down that route, but am at a loss where to go next. If I want to keep the pony in a good level of work, I'll have to either overcome the boot issue and get some that actually work/stay on/the horse doesn't object to, or put shoes on his front feet.

I'm feeling very frustrated to say the least. Any thoughts or words of wisdom from those of you with more experience of barefoot horses would be much appreciated.

Sorry it's another barefoot thread ..... Chocolate cookies if you got this far.

Greylegs

Visit site
No, not sore at all. Sound on all surfaces. Just that the farrier thinks he would be if they wear any more. Not got any current pics ... would have to take some tomorrow.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The "grow faster" (or indeed slower!) message doesn't happen immediately. I've found it takes about 3 weeks for growth to catch up with a change in work. So my advice would be to either regularly and very gradually build up the road work, or avoid it. Suddenly going to anlong road work hack when he hasn't been doing road work, is going to cause his feet to be shorter. In that case you either use boots of or back off on the abrasive surfaces until they catch up. Mainly tho if he isn't sore I wouldn't worry at all.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can't help but just wanted to commiserate. My Draft mare takes the absolute biggest boots that I could find, has very round feet and her boots spin round before we have gone a couple of hundred yards.

paddy555

Visit site
I would upgrade him to a better balancer, probably one of the FP ones or equimins AC to try and get more growth. Some of the new council resurfacing is a nightmare and there seems no way round it. It can wear feet considerably. I would boot to cope with it.

Renegades or gloves work very well.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
If he's only doing road hacks around twice a month and spends the rest of his time on soft surfaces then boots should be a good solution if you can find some he gets on with. Lots of the online suppliers will advise you and let you hire some on trial. The other option would be to try and get him doing some work on an abrasive surface much more regularly so his feet can adapt, building up gradually of course. Can you do 10-15 mins on a road type surface before or after your school work?

Of course if he isn't sore and the road rides are well spaced out there may actually be no problem as there will be enough time for the hoof to recover in between. It would be good to see some pics as I have known people (and farriers) convinced a hoof is practically worn away when it is actually a good length for the first time (not saying this is the case with you).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am confused. Your horse is not sore. Why are you considering shoeing him?

dollyanna

Visit site
Have you looked at scoot boots? They seem to stay on/fit much better than many, my trimmer fits them and has had many great successes in her clients using them.
Other than that I agree that feet can look very worn down when they really aren't, and if he is sound then I wouldn't be in a rush to shoe.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would try a change in diet and perhaps try him on the forage plus winter performance balancer to see if a change boosts horn growth.
In the meantime if he's not sore I would not rush to shoe him but I would reduce the time spent in the abrasive surface while you try to manage a way forward .

tristar

Visit site
another vote for scoot boots, i use them on a horse that if it was possible to get them off or twist believe me he would do it!

he is part spanish and does moves like no other, sideways, backwards, forwards at 100 miles an hour.

Greylegs

Visit site
I am confused. Your horse is not sore. Why are you considering shoeing him?

Because, although he's only done a couple of road hacks in the last month, I'd like to step up his hacking to a couple of times a week to get more work into him and, at the moment I'm not doing it because of my concerns about his feet.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into an alternative balancer: was thinking either the Forage Plus one or one of the Blue Chip products. Also will continue to work with the boots and maybe look at other types as well. Sizing is an issue. He's got big feet, so getting some to fit is always going to be a challenge.

<< deep sigh>> .... goes off to research balances .....

supsup

Visit site
I don't think a different balancer will help. There's nothing you can feed (other than adequate levels of protein and calories, which it sounds like he's getting) that will make much of a difference to the speed of hoof growth. There's some evidence that biotin may influence growth rates, some studies find a difference, others don't. A good balancer may help with horn quality, but if that's good already, I wouldn't hang my hopes on a balancer solving your problem.
I think in your shoes, I would probably see if you can hold out a bit longer using boots as necessary. Horn growth tends to slow down over winter, so maybe it's a bit of an unlucky coincidence that the new more abrasive surface arrived at a time when horn growth is slower, and the balance will shift in your favour by spring. You may also find that the road will have worn in a bit more within a few months, and will be smoother again.
Lastly, a set or two of shoes isn't likely to do much damage to a horse with healthy hooves. You could put some front shoes on to tide you over and grow a bit more hoof, then take them off again and see where you are.

ycbm

Visit site
If your horse isn't concerned about his feet I would step the work up slowly and see what happens. Farriers are often misinformed about just how short hard working feet look. From underneath, you would expect the hoof wall to be level with the sole at the toe, and only a couple of millimeters deep at the sides and in the seat of corn.

In general, you need to avoid balancers with any added iron or manganese. Most British grazing seems to have too much of both.

HashRouge

Visit site
If your horse isn't concerned about his feet I would step the work up slowly and see what happens. Farriers are often misinformed about just how short hard working feet look. From underneath, you would expect the hoof wall to be level with the sole at the toe, and only a couple of millimeters deep at the sides and in the seat of corn.

In general, you need to avoid balancers with any added iron or manganese. Most British grazing seems to have too much of both.
Ditto. I'm sure the general consensus, and something I've heard from Nic at Rockley, is that increased work will stimulate horn growth. So if you suddenly went for a four hour hack tomorrow, horse would probably be sore. But if you gradually increase the amount of road work you do over the next month or so, you should find that he manages well as the horn growth will keep up with the rate of wear. I would be very, very reluctant to suddenly shoe a horse who had been barefoot all his life and who wasn't sore. Why rock the boat? You may find that the increased road work means horse needs trimming less frequently or not at all. But honestly? Step up the road work gradually and see how you go.

Greylegs

Visit site
Ditto. I'm sure the general consensus, and something I've heard from Nic at Rockley, is that increased work will stimulate horn growth. So if you suddenly went for a four hour hack tomorrow, horse would probably be sore. But if you gradually increase the amount of road work you do over the next month or so, you should find that he manages well as the horn growth will keep up with the rate of wear. I would be very, very reluctant to suddenly shoe a horse who had been barefoot all his life and who wasn't sore. Why rock the boat? You may find that the increased road work means horse needs trimming less frequently or not at all. But honestly? Step up the road work gradually and see how you go.

Certainly I'm reluctant to shoe him. Not least because I think actually being shod, even by my excellent farrier, would be pretty traumatic for him (I've seen my guy shoeing other horses so know how he works).

I think short, regular trips up the road, maybe every other day, going a little further each time, is the way to go over the next month and we'll see what the feet look like at farrier's next visit in a month's time.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

ycbm

Visit site
Certainly I'm reluctant to shoe him. Not least because I think actually being shod, even by my excellent farrier, would be pretty traumatic for him (I've seen my guy shoeing other horses so know how he works).

I think short, regular trips up the road, maybe every other day, going a little further each time, is the way to go over the next month and we'll see what the feet look like at farrier's next visit in a month's time.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Good plan :)

I had a hunter who used to take two months to kick start faster foot growth after a lay off, he was a pain! His back feet once looked completely flat, they were so scalped, but he was sound and we carried on and he got his act together eventually. I 'needed' him to hunt but you have no time pressure. I hope it goes well. Let us know?

Boulty

Visit site
http://rockleyfarm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/what-happens-when-hoof-wall-wears-away.html has a little discussion on this from the barefoot side of things at least

If he isn't showing any signs of soreness then I'd build things up gradually and see how he does tbh, as long as you don't go mad and take him on a 20mile roadwork hack or suddenly one day insist he does 10 miles on roads daily with no buildup then his feet should be able to adapt. They may look a little shorter than you're used to and your farrier may have less to do than he's used to but as long as the horse is sound and isn't sore then you're not harming him.

Oh and please could you get the council to come and do our roads? I struggle to get ENOUGH wear into mine this time of year with work and daylight...