controversial?

not_with_it

Visit site
I have my own opinion on the story below but would be interested in other peoples views on the situation.

A new livery, who I will call L, came to the yard with her horse. He wouldnt stay in a stable on his own and when everyone brought their horses in for the winter L couldnt as no one else in her block brought in.

The horse in the stable next door and the next door field was for sale. Said horse is a mare who is very handy with her back legs and so I personally would never turn her out with another horse. Mare is a pacer who to most people never looks sound, although probably is, and is pottery. Mare always had hay and water but I can count on one hand the number of times she was ridden or groomed. She wore a heavyweight rug in the summer otherwise 'it got a runny nose'.

L decided to buy said mare as a companion due to them being next to each other. L took good care of the mare giving her tlc and quality food.

L's circumstances changed and she moved her horse to another yard. She had no use for the companion and no longer wanted her. L arranged to have her shot which outraged some of the liveries. Said liveries took on mare to find her a home but no one has taken ownership. Her livery is paid til the end of the week but dont know what will happen after that.

I am trying to stay out of it all!

ISHmad

Visit site
If the liveries took on responsibility for the mare then presumably it was agreed with the YO that they would pay the rent to him or her? After all if they've taken the mare on to find her a new home rather than her be PTS then they take on the associated costs in the meantime.

The YO can't just wash their hands of the horse either though with the Welfare Act in force and has a responsibility to ensure the mare has adequate food, water, turnout etc.

Not a good predicament and possibly another case where well meaning people rush to "rescue" a horse without thinking it all through properly. For the horse I hope it doesn't mean an uncertain future of pillar to post.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Seems to me like "the liveries" need to do one of three things: 1) find a permanent no comeback home before the end of the week, 2) sort out how they are going to pay for her between them or 3) stump up the cost of having her pts.

I should stick to staying well clear if I were you!

not_with_it

Visit site
I should add that the YO will not see the mare go without. L has told him what is happening and has said he will keep her informed.

The liveries will not take her on full time, it is purely to give her a chance.
L has said she will come back for her and go ahead with the original plan if she isnt sold by the end of the week.

I cant help but feel she will be passed from home to home due to the type of horse she is.

Puppy

Visit site
Seems to me like "the liveries" need to do one of three things: 1) find a permanent no comeback home before the end of the week, 2) sort out how they are going to pay for her between them or 3) stump up the cost of having her pts.

I should stick to staying well clear if I were you!

Agreed!!

Flame_

Visit site
L decided to buy said mare as a companion due to them being next to each other. L took good care of the mare giving her tlc and quality food.

L's circumstances changed and she moved her horse to another yard. She had no use for the companion and no longer wanted her. L arranged to have her shot which outraged some of the liveries. Said liveries took on mare to find her a home but no one has taken ownership.

The liveries should have curtailed their "outrage" and let the owner do the responsible thing and pts as arranged. The horse's owner should have shown some backbone and told them to mind their own business instead of handing over any responsibility. Since the liveries have accepted responsibility they should be paying for this horse's care unless they all agree to pts.

dingle12

Visit site
Does Ls original owners want her back. Must admit with me knowing this mare i would agree she would get passed about however i couldnt go down the PTS route yes she moves odd but she is a nice mare i just dont think she has been managed right which is a shame.

not_with_it

Visit site
The liveries should have curtailed their "outrage" and let the owner do the responsible thing and pts as arranged. The horse's owner should have shown some backbone and told them to mind their own business instead of handing over any responsibility. Since the liveries have accepted responsibility they should be paying for this horse's care unless they all agree to pts.

I can see it from both sides but cant help but think its her horse and she can do what she wants with it.

This doesnt go down well at the moment so im keeping my head down. I just smile and nod when they talk to me.:D

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
She sounds very similiar to my part loan mare - also kicks, very unique movement and you have to know and trust her. Saying that, enough people like her but I don't think she'd be an easy one to sell on to a permanent home (NOT that she's ever going anywhere!!)
I think, as heartbreaking as it is, I agree with the others, just stay out of it. I can only hope they find someone who is willing to work with the mare...otherwise PTS may be a better option than home to home to home :(
K x

not_with_it

Visit site
Does Ls original owners want her back. Must admit with me knowing this mare i would agree she would get passed about however i couldnt go down the PTS route yes she moves odd but she is a nice mare i just dont think she has been managed right which is a shame.

Hes on holiday and just said he will come when he gets back.

But would pts be kinder than getting passed from home to home?

Its none of my business what they do with her at the end of the day.

joeanne

Visit site
i would take her to a charity rather have her shot

When are people going to understand that every charity going is bursting at the seams with healthy useful horses??????
If homes cannot be found for animals who actually could do a useful days work, then what chance does that mare really have?
There are far worse things in the world than a well aimed bullet.
Liveries should have kept their beaks out, and let the owner do the responsible thing!

Dancing Queen

Visit site
When are people going to understand that every charity going is bursting at the seams with healthy useful horses??????
If homes cannot be found for animals who actually could do a useful days work, then what chance does that mare really have?
There are far worse things in the world than a well aimed bullet.
Liveries should have kept their beaks out, and let the owner do the responsible thing!

Because i would rather give the mare a chance and even if they are bursting well there maybe a chance she can be rehomed. Why should a healthy horse be shot and not given the chance at a happier time. Glad not everyone has the same heartless feelings as yourself.

stroppy

Visit site
Leave well alone, being pts is far kinder than be passed from pillar to post and being neglegted if knowone really wants her

FairyLights

Visit site
the owner should have had the mare shot and then told people,unfortunately others have become involved and this situation has occured. Somebody owns the mare,it is up to them to decide its future.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I'm with Joanne (and L) here. There are enough fit and healthy horses struggling to find homes, never mind one with a few problems. What are the chances of this mare being passed from pillar to post over the ensuing months/years, if she is pts at least her fate is known.

hackinharry

Visit site
I think L is being responsible. She took on a mare that let's face it, isn't that sellable, she's handy with the back legs, and pottery. She gave the mare good food and care for a while and showed her kindness - is she likely to find that sort of home again? I doubt it...Charities are at breaking point and are only taking urgent welfare cases, L's circunstances have changed, this does happen, and for the mare to be shot is a sensible step, she will never end up in the wrong hands this way. She won't know what's coming.
I am really fed up with people judging others over making this decision, If I couldn't keep my mare she will be shot, she's terrible in traffic, and is on and off lame, I wouldn't dream of trying to sell her or even giving her away, she's MY paddock pet and MY responsiblility.

misst

Visit site
Because i would rather give the mare a chance and even if they are bursting well there maybe a chance she can be rehomed. Why should a healthy horse be shot and not given the chance at a happier time. Glad not everyone has the same heartless feelings as yourself.

But the thing is you are not giving her a chance - you are asking a charity to do this for you. PTS is not the worst thing that can happen and is sometimes the most responsible option. If you would want to give her a chance then you would have to accept full financial responsiblity for her in every way for the rest of her life. That is a good and great thing to do - but do not ask others to do it for you. This attitude drives me insane I am afraid. Like the liveries - quick to jump in and slate a responsible owner but not prepared to take responsiblity themselves.

Jesstickle

Visit site
from world horse welfare's website

Another situation we often encounter is the caring owner who is simply unable to keep the horse. Many horses can be easily rehomed but sometimes there are factors which make this more difficult. Perhaps the horse has an underlying condition which, whilst fine at the moment, will deteriorate over time. Perhaps the horse has a difficult character which will make finding a suitable home that bit more difficult. Whilst it can be a very difficult thing to consider, it is sometimes kinder, and more responsible, to take the decision to put such a horse to sleep rather than try to find them a home. That way you can be certain they will never suffer and that the final act is undertaken kindly and correctly.

joeanne

Visit site

You need to take off those rose tinted specs.
The only thing that is likely to happen to that mare is she gets passed from home to home.....each one a step further down with regards to care.
Until she ends up at a low end snotty auction sale where even the meat man will turn his nose up.
Let them do the right thing by her.

not_with_it

Visit site
Brambridge I honestly couldnt say as I have never seen her ridden.

I am told she is good in traffic but thats all I know. She seems quiet. We are in W.Yorkshire.

I have to agree with most people. Knowing the mare I would pts but I would b the heartless cow if I suggested this at the moment. Hence why I am keeping my mouth shut.
Its her horse and she can do what she wants with it.

ladyt25

Visit site
What happened to the mare's original owner(s)? I do find it sad that people can just discard an animal so easily. I know i couldn't, problems or not, if it's healthy and not mare suffering then I would not be able to justify having it PTS. I would also ask why the livery yard people flet so strongly that it should not PTS? How come the current owner has allowed them to keep it on livery yet (which I understand the other liveries are paying for) yet told them if it's not sold within a week it'll be PTS? I am confused - who is responsible for this horse??

If the other liveries care so much for her then why haven't they offered to buy it off the owner and keep it on grass livery whilst maybe looking for a more permanent home for her?

It all sounds a bit messy to me - sounds like the liveries are wasting their money and the owner is getting their horse fed etc for free whilst they swan off somewhere. I do agree that PTS isn't the worst option in certain situations but it doesn't mean it's the only one either.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
i dont have rose tinted specs thanks i have a kind heart and i am like the liveries because i believe every animal has a right to life and who are we to (in this case) play god and decide - ah well had enough of you, you may not be placed in another home etc so i will have you killed. Rather than actually being kind to the mare and find her a decent home.

Sorry its the attitude of people who are happy to have decent animals shot rather than finding a home that really make my blood boil.

Dont start being rude because i have a different opinion to yourself.

Flame_

Visit site
Sorry its the attitude of people who are happy to have decent animals shot rather than finding a home that really make my blood boil.

What? Who has been rude? :mad:

Its the attitude of folks who think its their place to guilt trip owners out of taking responsibility for their animals who really get on my nerves.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
i dont have rose tinted specs thanks i have a kind heart and i am like the liveries because i believe every animal has a right to life and who are we to (in this case) play god and decide - ah well had enough of you, you may not be placed in another home etc so i will have you killed. Rather than actually being kind to the mare and find her a decent home.

So I presume you will take on this mare and spend YOUR time and money on her? No, thought not, you just want "a charity" to do it.

misst

Visit site

Sorry but I don't think anyone was rude but some people have tried to point out that charities cannot do everything for every animal and if an owner cannot care any longer for a problem animal it may be kinder to PTS. As I said before IF you are happy to take on an animal and care for it for life (as I do for my own horses) then fantastic BUT you are slating other people for doing what you want someone else to do for you. This is why I get annoyed. If I could not look after my own and could not guarrante(sp) a safe and happy future for them then it would be my responsiblity to ensure their end was safe and kind. See the prev post quoting WHW. I think it is amazing that people expect a charity to pick up every waif and stray - where do you think their funding comes from? How much money and resources do you think they have? "Finding a home" would be wonderful - but finding the right home is rarely easy,

Dancing Queen

Visit site
jesus! grow up some of you - why do you feel it is acceptable to be rude to a poster because they fail to have the same opinion as you?

it is allowed to have a different viewpoint you know!

i will no longer visit this thread as i will not tolerate the rudeness

Last edited: