Converted Cattle Trailers?

shellonabeach

Visit site
Lurker here needing some help!

What are peoples opinions / experiences of using converted cattle trailers for horses?

I am on a serious budget and looking for a cheap trailer to transport two horses 14hh & 15hh weighing 450kgs each to local shows. The only things I have found in our price range are old rice trailers and a converted cattle trailer.

The metal floor obviously appeals. Would this make the cattle trailer lighter than rice with wooden floor?

Will be towing with a Fourtrak (and will put in rubber matting etc!)

Many thanks

Sooty

Visit site
Probably the best thing to do is to ring a trailer manufacturer and ask them if the floor is suitable for horses. I have seen people using sheep trailers to transport small ponies to show, but not larger horses. I suppose if the floor and chassis are the same, and you can divide it okay and fill up the air vents, it should be feasible.

shellonabeach

Visit site
Thanks for replying.

It has already been converted with partition / breast bars etc and on measuring is the same size as a rice trailer. It has been used for horses by it's current owner.

Obviously I would worry about the floor being slippery so would be putting down rubber matting.

Thanks again

Sooty

Visit site
Just have a good poke around underneath and make sure the chassis is sound. You can replace or re-cover the floor if you are unsure about it, but remember that will add to the weight - if weight is an issue! If is has been used for horses then it should be ok, just bear in mind it may be harder to sell than a conventional one should you need to part with it. Good luck!
smile.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
Check the metal supports for the aluminium floor especially at the edges. You are looking for corrosion and thinning out of the aluminium as a result of corrosion. There should be a rubber gasket between the metal supports and the aluminium to prevent electrolytic action between the two. If not you can expect erosion to have taken place.

Patches

Visit site
We have an Ifor Cattle trailer here and I once, before I had a horse trailer, put my daughter's 11.2 pony in it. They are so noisy and rattly that it scared her. Took me 9 months after that 20 min journey in that trailer to get her to load into a normal horse trailer afterwards. She's always travelled perfectly well before she spent time in the cattle trailer too.

I can't imagine you being able to transport two larger horses in most usual cattle trailers unless you have one that's been made to a special spec. Generally speaking they are not tall enough. You will also have to rig up some form of breach bar for them as I am pretty sure it's an offence to transport horses facing forwards without some frontal chest bar incase of sudden braking.

Edited to say....forget that..inbetween me reading you post and getting around to completing the reply you've posted to say it has been converted ok for horses.