Conviction - is there any way to fake it???

4whitesocks

Visit site
Oh and no smart comments please GTs!!

Had a lovely session today schooling over xc and I know that a lot of that was down to me being much more relaxed on him (sometimes I think that if you think something is doing wonders for your horse (eg new bridle or saddle etc) more often than not it's you being convinced he's going to go well in it and therefore he goes well if that makes any sense!)

Anyway I'm not v brave with water and there's a roller-water-roller combination that everyone else had jumped and I thought OK I really should give it a go.....in my heart of hearts I wasn't convinced though and we ran out 3 times - last time with an almight buck at the end of it, lost stirrup but stayed on thank god. YO/Trainer got up and naturally enough he went over it in both directions (with some minor protests).

My question (after all that waffle!) is that I'm sure he knew I wasn't convinced - he jumps so much better when I am - so....

Is there any way to fake conviction???!!!

Chex

Visit site
Maybe if you're a really good actor! I find they can sense it anyway, so unless you're really convinced yourself then they won't believe you. Must be their sixth sense or something lol

KatB

Visit site
I tend to override if there is something that I'm not happy about, sometimes works, but in my boys case now, tends not to as overriding puts the alarm bells on, and makes him look at it even more! I think it is something that comes with time, trust and experience on both sides....

Jemayni

Visit site
One of the best pieces of advice Ive had from an instructor was; "you can be nervous as hell, you can be sh***ing youself, it does not matter just kick and look up and it will not matter!"

I suppose this is how you fake conviction (and I haven't had a stop at a Jacobs ladder since!)

Weezy

Visit site
Look up, look forward and kick on! YES you can DEFFO fake conviction, I have ridden some fences that made me feel violently sick, but so long as you have confidence in your horse (this is the key) then kick forwards and let it happen

beaconhorse

Visit site
the other thing is to talk to him as you approach the fence, tell him in an upbeat voice 'yes come on we can do this' go go go It does work, probably as much because you are convincing yourself as much as the horse

Clodagh

Visit site
Talking is good, if you watch a team chase there is loads of yelling all the way around!
Scream 'go girl' on the approach, OK so people will think you're nuts, but what the heck!
Sit deeep, steady contact and legs! (Oh, and don't forget to breathe!!)

4whitesocks

Visit site
Thanks folks - I do find shouting helps - if I feel him wobble the farmer's daughter comes out in me & there's a very loud & deep 'Get on' that comes out (dunno who she is but she's loud!!)

I didn't get up on him again after the trainer had done it - I know I should have but I think she felt bad having pushed me into it and he went over it twice in both directions and was in danger of getting himself sweaty...(that was my excuse anyway! LOL!)

I wouldn't mind but we jumped a big (by my standards) stone wall - much bigger than the rollers on the water fence - and on and off a bank (hate coming off a bank) with no problem...I guess maybe I had just psyched myself up for them. The little b*gger is more than able and the rest of the session was great (we hacked down the road to cool off, I made him lead and we passed fluttering tape, bollards, auctioneers signs, barking dogs & it was mad windy so I was pleased with us on that score)

Next weekend I'll be much more prepared!!
(OH and one big observation....every time he struck off in canter coming into a fence he was on the right lead....despite him apparently being in capable of managing it in the school!!!)

Niamhy

photobucket.com
Yep more TFT!!

They know when you are faking sometimes!! You have to convince yourself that you are going to jump it. If you have any hesitation at all, they will know!! Esp with a young horse, they need u to tell them its ok. So if u hesitate, they will wonder what mum is soo afraid of.

If you have a problem with water jumps, tap for it! Or pretend its just a cross pole or a previous jump that you did ok. Look up, dont look down, and keep your leg on.