Cooking apples

ecrozier

Visit site
Hi All
Simple question really, we have masses of cooking apples in the garden....but are they ok to feed to horses or not? Obviously wouldn't give them many, just thought one a day in feed might make a nice treat and will probably end up throwing them away otherwise!
Thanks
smirk.gif

K9Wendy

Visit site
My ponies lived on crab apples when I was a kid, it did them no harm and they are bitter as hell.. I never actually feed them to them, they just stole them!!

riotgirl

Visit site
Mine sneaks the odd windfall by sticking her head under the fence and they don't do her any harm. Mind you, she does have a cast iron stomach!

bellgave

Visit site
We have several apple trees, cooking apples aand crab apples and the horses all enjoy one in each of their meals. Has done them no harm what so ever. However I was a little worried about feeding them at first, but honestly it has done them no harm.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Apples are perfectly safe for horses, I had a friend who had been told they were poisonous, so there is a lot of wrong info / wives tales floating about!

Useful apple info

Apples in moderation are actually beneficial to horses, the main hazard is presenting them in right size so they are not going to cause a choking hazard.

I also found this Horse Food Website. Apparently you can feed: Fruits especially rich in antioxidants that horses can eat safely include guava, apples, grapes, raisins, bananas, and cherries (remove pit before feeding). Also, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries can be tried and are all excellent sources of vitamins.

RunToEarth

Visit site
My hoss eats crab apples and grandma's cooking apples. Now my mare is 26, we have had her since she was 8, that is a good 18years of eating cooking apples and crab apples, and so far it hasnt done her any harm
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine love apples - I cut them into quarters and they get 1 - 2 in a feed.

If I feed cooking apples I tend to feed only 1 as they can be sharp and larger than eating apples.

Some cookers are fairly sweet - I normally take a bite myself to test them before feeding.

I do know of one horse that has to avoid them as he is prone to colic but most will be very happy to receive them.

Happytohack

Visit site
I always used to feed the odd one or 2, but was told by a well-qualified independent equine nutritionist that cooking apples should not be fed - eating apples were ok, obviously in moderation.