cooling off

Irishcobs

Visit site
After I have worked my horses I walk them around till they stop sweating and they're breathing has returned to normal. But I have notice a lot of people just take their horses striaght into the stable wash the sweat off and leave them, most still breathing fast.
So I was wondering what you guys do?
I thought leaving then still hot and panting can increase the chances of them tying up?

amage

Visit site
Trot off on a loose rein for about 5-10mins then walk. after about 10 mins walk if its cold, throw a rug over horses bum and walk for another few mins. if they don't do much strenuous work they gt less trot off time but the same walk off time

RachelB

Visit site
I always make sure I walk around until the horse has stopped blowing, so if I'm in the school I walk round there, and if I'm on a hack I walk the last bit home. Then I wash and rug, and put away if the horse is calm and happy, if not I'd walk round again. I hate it when people don't cool horses down properly.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
My horses never really do that much work TBH. They get made to work hard when they do work but never get overly hot and sweaty but on a hack or if I'm schooling they will always walk for a few minutes.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I do same as vicijp - I also never get off at end of crosscountry as want to keep them moving find it far more beneficial to walk back on a loose rein than standing around faffing and getting knocked over by the horse.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We always warm up before work & then cool down at the end. Depends ion what we've done as to how long we cool down for. My OH was a distance runner & apreciates the values of cooling down & stretching so we do the same with the horse as a runner does, it works for us. If the lad's sweaty we invariably wash him off aswell.