Coolstance Copra meal .. Soaking help

shannon14

New User
Visit site
hey!

so my horse has lost a lot of condition over the past month so i am changing his feeds to coolstance copra as i have only really heard good things when it comes to conditioning.

however i have no found exact guidlines on how long it needs to be left to soak. i know that it can also be fed dry but that seems like a big colic risk to me if it expands so much.

how long do people who use it soak it for? is it something i will need to make a bin full and leave over night or could i put some water in it do my stable and will it be ready?

there is such vague guidlines i am lost on what to do!

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
I wouldn’t make a bin full! I use it to keep weight on my TB and just put the copra in his two feed bowls, (one for the morning) add water and leave for ten minutes or so and then add his other feed to it, mix it up and feed! It does swell so you may have to adjust the amount of water you add depending on whether horse prefers it sloppy or more firm x

paddy555

Visit site
I use copra and wouldn't feed it dry. it absorbs water quickly so you could soak and do your stable. It is also OK if you soak and leave overnight, which I do as I also soak alfalfa pellets with it. I soak 8oz per horse per feed so only a small binful.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I soak one stubbs scoop of copra and one scoop of oats together with 3 scoops of water. In winter I leave that overnight to feed the following morning to those needing condition. The consistency is a crumbly mash that smells lovely and is devoured well.

SEL

Visit site
I use a Stubbs scoop and cover with water in a bucket overnight. I've got in my head 30 mins soaking with cold water but less with warm

Cragrat

Visit site
I measure out the Equibeet, oats and copra for each horse into their bucket, add water to cover by about 2", and leave for 12 hours