Corduroy Jodphurs - do they exist any more?

cowgirl16

Visit site
OK. My eyes are now bleeding as I've been looking so long. I've worn Gorringe cord jods for years now, but can't for the life of me find them now. Has cord gone out of fashion or something? Does anyone else make them, does anyone know? Tried Gorringe, Harry Hall, Requisite, and loads more that I've now forgotten. Are they still out there somewhere?

Skib

sites.google.com
I have mine still but have got too fat to wear them. I donated OH's to a member of this forum, with all his riding gear.
We started riding in 2001 and I was sold my cords in 2002 when the saddler told me that they were already out of production and obsolete.

Edited to add that one should double check the link given in the post above leads to a firm that is still in existence.

claracanter

Visit site
I have a pair of black ones I bought a couple of years ago online. Can’t remember where from but they have a Z on the labels. They’ve got a silicone seat though, don’t know if that’s your thing. It’s not mine but it was the only ones I could find. They are so warm I can ignore the silicone

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a pair of black ones I bought a couple of years ago online. Can’t remember where from but they have a Z on the labels. They’ve got a silicone seat though, don’t know if that’s your thing. It’s not mine but it was the only ones I could find. They are so warm I can ignore the silicone
Ah, I too cannot abide anything 'sticky' on the seat.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine were Harry Hall, I think. Jumbo cord not needlecord, too thick to wear except in winter and I loved them. I washed and washed my claret colour pair until they were pink. I still miss them.

Pebble101

Visit site
I still have Dublin Coolcords. They must be at least 20 years old now and worn regularly. They wash well, dry quickly and are comfortable. They really are on their last legs as they are very thin on the seat. I guess they aren't really what manufacturers want if they last that long!

Skib

sites.google.com
I too bought a larger size in more modern breeches, fleece lined. From Derby House. But I fear Derby House may also have vanished.
I thought that I hated sticky seat breeches. But it turned out that, when riding, I didnt notice any difference. Maybe that is because I am now riding in an artificial suede GP saddle which has quite a bucket seat.
I am also riding an ultra safe mare. So falling off her in my winter ridiing clothes has not yet been tested.

Kaylum

Visit site
We get Gorringe ones in now and again what size you after I will look out and let you know if we get any in our charity shop.

First Frost

Visit site
I absolutely loved my cord breeches, especially for winter riding! If you find any let us know, but I have a feeling they are a thing of the past. Although apparently cord is very fashionable this year so they might make a come back!!!

Sealine

Visit site
This is a real blast from the past. I had a wine coloured pair. Very soft and comfortable if I remember correctly.

Nudibranch

Visit site
If only someone would "invent" some pull on cord jodhpurs with a crossover, elasticated waist. I have a permanently sore/sensitive scar above my navel from a hernia op so anything with buttons is a big no. I'd kill for a pair of those!

ThreeFurs

Visit site
Wasn't there something called 'whipcord'? I had some jods like this when I was riding as a kid.

ps: For those into gorgeous vintage images of the old 'elephant ear' styles check out https://www.instagram.com/jodhpursandsons/

And then there's that moment in Monica Dickens' "Wish for a Pony" when Tamzin finds the perfect pair in the jumble sale, just before the gymkhana. x Theyre just my size.jpg

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Cord trousers are coming back into fashion generally so maybe that will eventually result in an equine resurgence too!
that would be good, I used to love cord jeans. Bottle green wrangler flares, my greatest ambition to find some again.

I still have a navy pair of Lavenham cord jodhs I got in 1989, still usable so I might start wearing them again. Also found a white pair of Lavenham cord jodhs in the cupboard which were OH's he rarely used. Might as well use them as well. I do like to be ahead of fashion!
Also I still have the cord jodhs (non stretchable) that I got when I was about 15 ie late 60's. These had the "bells" I think they were called on the thighs. (the baggy bits that stuck out) This has reminded me to dig them out and use them. Kept them for sentimental reasons but that is pointless.