Corns and heartbar shoes?

ExRacers

Visit site
Yes & no!

My old horse is prone to corns and trhe best solution I have found is a pad under the shoe - he comes sound right away - and leave the pad on for a couple of shoeings until the pressure is totally relieved.

jib1987

Visit site
Thanks- It seems my horse is also prone to corns! I've had pads on for one shoeing but they've been taken off again and I think the corns have come back. The farrier is coming this afternoon to see. In your experience would you recommend leaving the pads on for more than 1 shoeing then or try heart bars as the farrier is suggesting? Thanks!

ExRacers

Visit site
Yes we ended up keeping the pad on for a total of 3 shoeings in all (every 5 weeks) & it definitely did the trick.

This was my vet's suggestion as he said something between the hoof & the shoe was the answer to relieving the pressure.

I suppose the heart bar shoes would spread the pressure more evenly over the foot which may have the same effect - you can but try it!!

Hope you get him sorted soon - it's just so frustrating having a niggling little 'injury' like this.

TURBOBERT

Visit site
I find to avoid corn I hqave to have him shod every 5 weeks - no longer. He now still has a problem but only about once a year. Farrier puts on the hard plastic type of pads (after cutting away and poulticing for about 24 hours then Hydrogen Peroxide )

jib1987

Visit site
We now have heart bar shoes- trotted her up for the farrier and of course she was sound! We've already tried the pads and the corn came back so farrier thinks this is our best chance and will be leaving them on for 2 or 3 shoeings depending on how she goes. Thanks!

ExRacers

Visit site
Good News!
smile.gif
At least you've got something that works for you - after all no 2 nags are the same!!
grin.gif