Corona virus

Chianti

Visit site
I think it's interesting that when the EHV- 1 virus hit earlier this year the horse community voluntarily, and almost immediately, shut down. Competitions were cancelled and no off site hacking was allowed. With the corona virus there has been no suggestion of this. My Facebook groups are still full of competitions and events and these are often with very poor toileting and hand washing facilities. Other countries have banned all large group activities because the risk of contamination is high. Why are we carrying on as usual? Do we care more about our horses than our grannies - who are the most likely to be carried off by this? What do people think?

maya2008

Visit site
We are still in ‘containment’ where cases all have an identified source and the general public are relatively safe. The whole Italy thing has probably stuffed that up but they are trying to contain the fallout. If they fail, we go into the next stage where it is being spread with ease through the community and public gatherings etc are cancelled, people with coughs of any kind asked to stay home etc.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Hmmm........ am hearing what you're saying. I recently attended a TREC training event - in an indoor school - and also in the Spring there are a couple of pleasure rides and other TREC-type training events planned.

My feeling is that - probably erroneously - I'm assuming that as most horsey events (obviously) are held outdoors, then there isn't so much of a risk?? Or is that living in cloud-cuckoo land? I dunno. But I feel less at risk out in the great outdoors than I do stuck inside with someone hacking and hawking.

In events where people are packed in together, like a grandstand, or even outdoors but sitting close together in rows, then I think I'd be a little less happy TBH. I can see that here there would be an inherent risk of breathing in someone else's "bad air".

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think its down to how its transmitted, you are less likely to get it outside, you are not normally close to people and our % of population who have it, at the moment is small. You are more likely to catch it on a crowded tube, or from someone you are in close contact with.
this ^^ I travel to shows on my own, generally am not in contact with anyone - it would be fairly easy to maintain that in theory, the only time you need to go in the office or similar for a dressage show is to collect your sheet at the end. I'm sure a bit of creative thinking could work a way round that.

AFB

Visit site
I'd hardly view most horse shows as 'large group activities', along with the fact that the majority of people will be at least 1m apart while on/with the horse (as per Italy's common space rulings) and the UK risk is still very low.

Blowing things out of proportion at this stage is equally damaging, if people start unnecessarily isolating themselves now then they're going to either give up or need supply's in 2 weeks time when the outbreak could be at a much worse stage.

CJoe

Visit site
From BJ's speech yesterday, we are already in 2nd phase, not an if, it is now likely this week that actual rules will be put into place for delay stage, containment didnt work, what a surprise!!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Horse shows being out in the open with no real contact would be the least of my worries tbh but I do see what you mean I just think there are more things we should be doing first!

PurBee

Visit site
All St Patricks parades here in Ireland are cancelled..... so we will all be celebrating down the pub.....

is this true? People woild be at less risk outside at parades, than crammed into pubs!

i got swine flu in 2010 from a cramped pub environment...recall the hacking gentleman vividly, standing right beside us...we moved away from him but still ended up with acute resp. Distress syndrome, that took 6 months to fully recover from.

PurBee

Visit site
Yep....leo varadkar has cancelled all major parades based on advice from health officials. Smaller events apparently will still go ahead...like crammed pubs!!

Finlib

Visit site
All I'm really bothered about at the moment is if badminton gets cancelled, we're meant to be camping there!
Yes we really hope Badminton doesn't fall victim!! We have got tickets for the caravan on the campsite. Got a holiday booked for the end of March (spain) looks unlikely we will not be doing that and probably loose the money!!!!!
but will be more upset if Badminton is cancelled!

oldie48

Visit site
I don't think you can compare equine flu with coronavirus. You can vaccinate your horse against EF but as far as we know there is no immunity to Coronavirus so we are all at risk and it would appear to be very easy to catch. It's fairly easy to isolate horses but pretty impossible with people if we want society to keep running. ATM we are treading a difficult line between trying to stop widespread infection whilst also trying to keep our economy going. Just spent the day with my Dr daughter, hospitals are planning and she already knows how her role will change should we find ourselves in a serious epidemic. Interestingly she didn't give me my usual hug. Outside activities are much less risky than travelling on public transport or sitting in a cinema or a pub.

EventingMum

Visit site
I will also be upset if Badminton gets cancelled as tickets were a Christmas present from my son, no doubt the ticket price would be refunded but we would probably lose our hotel costs. However, there's nothing we can do but wait and see and follow guidelines. Having autoimmune problems I am probably more at risk due to immunosuppressant meds so I will be cautious.

Chianti

Visit site
From BJ's speech yesterday, we are already in 2nd phase, not an if, it is now likely this week that actual rules will be put into place for delay stage, containment didnt work, what a surprise!!!

I'm not surprised it didn't work when people could get off a plane from Italy and just walk into the country! Other countries are screening arrivals from badly infected countries.

Reactions: JJS

Finlib

Visit site
Badminton do refund you .We got a refund when it was cancelled for foot and mouth and again when it was flooded out a few years ago.
depends on the hotel policy you may get some back.
we have a holiday book for Canaries at the end of March unless the FCO recommend no travel I thin we will loose the lot more worried about getting stuck over there in quarantine !!!! Lots of animals at home and professional animal sitter in could break the bank of we got stuck for weeks .Will have to check the holiday insurance but will be surprised if it covers animal sitting for weeks!