Correct length for side reins..

JoshuaR97

Visit site
What is the correct length side reins should be for each horse? And how would you find the correct length. I have them attached onto my horses girth and have them quite slack as I see people have them very tight and that just pulls their heads in an awkward position.. Just want to make sure I'm using them correctly.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Be prepared for backlash here - side reins are a very emotive topic. Personally I wouldn't use them as it encourages a false outline

EQUIDAE

Visit site
When working through the back they need no encouragement to drop and soften :) Even when loose schooling - yet some people insist that a horse loose cannot work properly.

vlcsnap-2016-04-17-13h00m21s37_zpsrcykuz39.png

dominobrown

Visit site
Side reins can be useful, however they shouldnt be tight. Sometimes i find one side rein on the outside can work well, but obviously if the side rein is too tight you would just get outndide bend.
I wouldnt say they were awful things if used correctly and are better than a lot of other gadgets. Used correctly they can give a consistant contact.

Princess16

Visit site
As a new rider can you explain to me why people use side reins instead of normal ones? What are the benefits?

dominobrown

Visit site
As a new rider can you explain to me why people use side reins instead of normal ones? What are the benefits?

You can use them for lunging etc to mimick the riders contact, however they shouldnt be used when ridden unless the horse is being lunged. They can be unsafe to use when ridden as you cannot release the contact. If you have a very novice rider with a pony pulling their head down etc a daisy rein would be better.
To clarify side rein attach to the bit and then to the saddle roller normally at girth height. You cannot use side reins instead of normal reins!???