cost of breaking a youngster?

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Hi not sure where to post this but I thought I'd try here first.
I've just broken my friends 3YO for her, done him entirely from scratch.
Taken me 8 weeks in total, but I've only worked him twice a week for the last couple of weeks.
He was a monkey to back and dumped me three times in the sand school in one training session!
He can now walk and trot on both reins, and I plan to hack him around the local village this weekend before turning him away.
SO how much do you guys think I should charge for this?

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
No I've mouthed and longreined him. A couple of friends have said £500 but the groom at the yard says £250 to £300, although she knows very little about breaking youngsters. But she's a good friend of the lady who owns the horse.
The thing is if he went away for breaking you'd be talking at least £100 a week although this would usually include livery I know.

luie123

Visit site
Was the horse on livery with you or did you go to where it lives? I paid £400 a month and my horse ws turned out. He was there 8 weeks.

jemima

Visit site
If it's of any help to you I have someone coming to me to break my girl, she was mouthed and lunged before he came in but he's gone back through everything, she's now walking and trotting on both reins and will canter and hack out by this weekend, before being turned away. It has taken about an hour a day, 5/6 days per week, and he will have been working with her for four weeks. I pay £15 per hour.

I have to add that am absolutely delighted with the way he has handled her.

burtie

Visit site
Surely it's too late now, really you should have agreed a price up front. If not and they are asking how much to give you now I certainly wouldn't charging more than £10 per session max.

Snowberry

Visit site
we were quoted between £70 - £100 per week but that included full livery. Full livery costs about £50 per week so that doesnt leave much money for actually breaking them.
Based on the figures about I'd say 8weeks at £20-50 per week depending on how much work you did. Our got ridden/worked 5days and then 2days off.

Didnt you agree costs upfront? If they dont like what you're charging they can hardly give it back
frown.gif
frown.gif